View Full Version : Another whatsit.....

J Tiers
07-11-2005, 11:49 PM
This is a chuck of some type. Labeled "Standard Tool Co No 0 Improved"

It has a MT2 taper shank, and my guess is it might be a tap chuck, but I do not know. Google had lots of useless hits.

General view


end view of jaws. It isn't obvious in the pic, but the jaws bypass each other and close completely. There are a number of jaws, 4 on one side, 3 on the other, over a depth of an inch or so.


Anyone know for sure?

07-12-2005, 12:15 PM
For what it's worth, I'd guess that your guess is bang-on. The chuck jaws look like they would grab nicely to the square end of oh-so-many different taps.

Also, I share your frustration with useless Google results. How many places called Springfield have a business with a name like "AAA Roofing"? "Standard tool" has got to be a real fun search...

J Harp
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Don't know for sure, but it looks to me like it would be more suited for holding round or hex stock. The angles of the jaw pieces don't look right for holding a square section.
A chuck that does look like it would hold square stock is illustrated on page 234 of Modern Machine Shop Practice, by Joshua Rose, this book is from the very early 20th century. You can view the book at http://digital.lib.msu.edu/collections I hope I've typed this correctly as I don't know how to post a link directly.


07-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Just a different type of drill chuck.
I have one that I use in the lathe can use small bits without slipping and using a hex key to tighten seems very positive think it cost me around $50 au new a few months back.
I got it mainly because it was different. seems to work fine so far.

07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Yep a drill chuck,there is another type billed as a "Titanic chuck",brand name I think,those work by twisting them open to set the drill in the chuck,once torque is applied the cutting force increases the grip until it stops slipping or the shank twists off,but they release with the same pressure as require to set the drill.