X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsr911
    • Oct 2004

OT: Tractor question

I recently bought a seven acre wooded lot with an 18% grade up to the area I've cleared for the house. I've been using a bodcat to move the logs around but keep thinking I could use a tractor with a frontend loader both to plow the drive in the winter as well as landscape the yard etc. Years ago my dad had a 1949 Ford 8N with a loader and rear blade that he used when building his house, he subsquently sound it to a man that was my boss in my late teens. About a year ago he (my old boss) died and as far as I know his wife still has the tractor, my father thought it might be neat if I bought his old tractor back and used it for my new home but I have some concerns. My main concern is parts availabilty and secondly dependability. What do you guys think of me trying to buy the old tractor back aside from the nostaligial factor? I remember sitting on dad's lap at about age 5 with him letting me steer it so I'm a bit too emotional about this old tractor to make objective decisions, plus I don't really know much about tractors in the first place.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski
  • lugnut
    • Sep 2004

Without a question, go buy the tractor!! Those little tractors are selling for primium prices in most parts of the country and expect to pay in the 3K range for it. but if it runs and you don't need to do a lot of work on it, you can't pass it up, it's part of your family!! Parts are readily available. Go for it!

[This message has been edited by lugnut (edited 07-11-2005).]

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

• Michael Az
      • Dec 2002

I agree with Lugnut, buy it before it gets away and later you will wish you had it. The 8n is a great little tractor and they have the art deco look like no other. They are easily repaired if you are mechanicaly inclined. HOWEVER! They aren't the best for front end loader work, they just wern't designed for it. They are a good mower and great for pulling.
      Michael

Comment

• cntryboy1289
        • Jun 2005

I agree with Michael about the 8N as for as using it for the loader. The 8N is a good round about tractor for mowing hay and pulling logs, but when you have to step on the clutch, the PTO is disengaged and the lift will drop. Not sure exactly how the front end loader works off of the 8N but I would think the hydraulic pump would work off of the PTO as well, which would mean that the loader would lose pressure if the clutch was depressed. Just a thought about it. Around here you can usually buy an 8N for less than $2000 and the parts are available through catalogs if the tractor folks don't have them in stock.

Comment

• Stanko
          • Oct 2004

If it were me, I would have got past the "do I really.." stage and had it in the shed being worshiped with an oily rag. It dosent sound like you cant afford it, and only this tractor was your dads. If it wrong for the job get it a friend.

Ahh you have probably bought it by now !

Comment

See other thresds, you will know how I feel about ford N series of tractors. but I will say, DO NOT USE THE LOADER ON ANY GRADE,THIS TRACTOR WILL ROLL OVER IF YOU LOOK AT IT WRONG. Though your results may vary, all disclaimers apply.

IMHO

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 07-11-2005).]

Comment

• Your Old Dog
              • Dec 2004

I suspect Stanko's right, you probably all ready bought it but.........

I can't imagine an 8N sitting unused in a garage on property being newly developed. Send us some pics, maybe of the grin on the old man too! How many families have an heirlom that you can do something with besides just look at it?

(collect some parts for it, your son may need them oneday!)

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 07-11-2005).]
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• elbryant
                • May 2004

Here's just one source.

8ntractors.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 8ntractors.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Ed
                Ed Bryant

Comment

• rsr911
                  • Oct 2004

Well, I spoke to the lady's brother inlaw today, the brother of my old boss who died and he thinks she still has it. He passed along her phone number but told me she spends most weekends and some Monday's at the lake so I left a message for her to call me back.

As for using the tractor as a loader, my father sure moved a lot of dirt with that thing. In fact he moved most of the frontyard to the backyard to level the property somewhat. I also remember him moving gravel, bricks, manure, sand etc. lots of stuff. There's an old picture of my mother and her friend sitting on the rear blade as "weight" (right in those days she might have weighed 100lbs soaking wet) as dad was leveling the front walk area. My uncle even used it to pull the engine from his GTO. In other words lots of history. I do hope it's still available as I'm sure she'd give me a pretty good deal on it given our families histories together and the fact that she no longer has a use for it.

------------------
                  -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

• Michael Az
                    • Dec 2002

RSR, it isn't that you can't move dirt with it, but it wasn't designed for it. This means the front end would be the weak point. It has a single king pin which isn't much more than heavy sheet metal so it will wear out quickly. These tractors were designed by Henry Ford {and a fellow named Ferguson that invented the three point.} to pull and speficialy to plow with. When the 9N came out there wasn't anything that could keep up with one plowing. So, for plowing, discing, pulling a mower and general farting around they are great. They are the South Bend of old tractors.
                    Michael

Comment

• CCWKen
                      • Jan 2003

The 8N is a nice old tractor that's fit for mowing, light plowing and showing off but if you want to do some serious dirt moving, you better get something heavier with hydraulics.

Now if you really want to move some dirt, you can buy my JD 420C!

Comment

Ken, GOT ONE FOR SALE? Drooool

Comment

• lugnut
                          • Sep 2004

If and when you get the little tractor, one of the things you can do to improve it, is have fluid added to the rear tires. This will give you lot more traction and will help with some lower centered weight for stability while using the front loader. Most tire shops can install the fluid. It has a chemical that prevents freezing (calcium chloride I think)
                          Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                          Oregon Coast

Comment

• Carl
                            • Apr 2003

Buy the 8n because you want it, but the bobcat will work circles around it as a loader.
                            THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

You would be a God Damned Idiot to put that **** in your tires,It is basicly salt water. Use simple RV antifreeze, it is safe and has corrosion inhibitors.

Comment

Working...
                              X