PDA

View Full Version : OT, pickles for fingers, laptop question? Evan?

ibewgypsie
07-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I got a new laptop, works the bots quite well. I bought a large ergonomic kyboard for home. Here on the road I left the big Un at home.. problem is the laptop keybd types the wrong keys.. different number of keys on each.

How do you switch easily between keyboard drivers? I got it disabled in the driver, running XP here.. The more I run xp the more fixes I see sincee 98SE.. It still will mix up the keys even with it disabled.. Laptop is a intel toshiba satellite (office depot w/discount) running 3.2 gig, I like all except the lil bitty g=spot keys..

Extra kybd is a microsoft wireless, works great..

with, just runinng a bot, the $400 toshibaq would have been good enough, but it had a amd processor and I have had issues with them. They are great w/graphics but not so with number crunching.. unless they have changed in the past two issues.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 07-16-2005).]

zl1byz
07-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi David,

Probably don't have any answer to your problem but have experienced the same problem using external keyboards on laptops. Not optical keyboards just ps2 plugged into ps2 socket, dumb things start happening.

Will be interesting to see if any of the computer guru's know a work around to this. It seems more a hardware conflict rather than a OS or software issue.

I did buy a optical keyboard/mouse for my wife, sounds very similar to what you have got and they work great. This is on a desk top computer.

Only problem she came across is when using the scroll wheel on the mouse in word some of the lines of text on the screen started to double up. Didn't actually affect your work but looked stupid on the scteen.

I found that turning off the accelerator on the scroll wheel fixed this problem. This feature is seperate from the mouse accelerator, left that on.

John.

Evan
07-17-2005, 01:13 AM
zl1byz

That is a video driver problem. Check the video chip manufacturer for a patch.

David,

Make sure you are using the correct region for your keyboard. It isn't under keyboard in control panel, it's under Regional and Language Options.

ibewgypsie
07-17-2005, 05:02 AM
more confused than ever here.. something on my personal configuration. I blamed then logitech usb camera installation but it was / is something else..

when logged in as "other user" there is no problem.. when logged in as me, the right hand letter keys are the numerical keypad. Kinda like a antique trs80???

if it can be broken I can break it.. for sure..

Yeah, before you ask, I have done weird things with this machine.. directx, and bit memory page swaps.

rockrat
07-17-2005, 08:17 AM
ibew - I have an old toshiba that has a function lock. The keyboard has the right side keys marked with a number as well as a letter. ie the letter k has the number 2 highlighted on it. To make this key enter the number 2 instead of k, I have to hold the function (fn) key down. 22222 see? Oh, thats right, your over there. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I do remember seeing a setting in the bios that would allow a user to force the function key lock on. I think that this is an option for the laptop when someone is making a lof of numerical data entry. With the fn key locked, one would only need to use one hand to input numbers and you would not have to move that hand as much as you would if you tried to use all of the numbers on the top row.

The computer I am on now is the wifes work computer, compaq. It has a fn key lock. If I hold the fn key down and hit the end key (you know, home, end, insert, delete etc) it will lock the fn key so all of those letters will type numbers. I know it will stay on over a boot (bios controls this) but I do not know if it will stay locked when changing logons.

But in your case, it sounds like a switch triggered with the user that is logged in. The Toshiba has some different windows stuff in the control panel when compaired to the wifes work laptop. Probably added at Toshiba.

Id say Evan was right in looking into the control panel in windows. But if you cant find it there, you ay need to browse the bios and see if there is an option in there.
rock-

Norman Atkinson
07-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Within the next day, I am going over to Menorca in the Balearics.

A friend has a Toshiba T8000 laptop which will not start up. I have no idea what the fault is- and it has not a floppy drive but a CD ROM. There is no start up CD Rom

Any bright ideas, please?

Thanks

Norman

ibewgypsie
07-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Norman, Knoppix linux is the whole OS on a cdrom. It boots off it. Runs, you can then "Mount" (linux term) the hard drive and copy files off it via serial, usb or other port, or cdburner if it has one.

This is a rescue procedure. it also allows the computer to "grab" the numbers out of a router, modem, cable or dsl and link to the internet with NO SWEAT.. But mainly it is a great way to recover things from a machine that it's os is screwed up on.. then you 2 hour reload windows, then put all the items back on.. then.. then.. try and figure out what happened to cause it..

I have threatened to put a machine with just a cdrom on the net to surf with. VIrus and other things won't affect a read only drive.

Cheers friend, I just got outa my truck, 550 miles 3 stops for gas and burgers in 8 hours.. a big thing over here.. I was just running with traffic.. not really passing anyone..

I DO HAVE A LED ON TOP OF THE KEYBD lit in my user name only. with these pickle fingers ain't no telling what keys I hit.. I'll try to figure out how to disable the toshiba keyswap..

David..

Norman Atkinson
07-17-2005, 04:37 PM
David,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Time for Bed- Zebedee said!

Three weeks in the sun. Hic! Cheers! Hic!

Norman

psomero
07-17-2005, 10:32 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON:
Within the next day, I am going over to Menorca in the Balearics.

A friend has a Toshiba T8000 laptop which will not start up. I have no idea what the fault is- and it has not a floppy drive but a CD ROM. There is no start up CD Rom

Any bright ideas, please?

Thanks

Norman</font>

for a while now, all the computers i've seen have a boot from CD option in the bios menu. any windows or linux install cd should be bootable...

psomero
07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
I have threatened to put a machine with just a cdrom on the net to surf with. VIrus and other things won't affect a read only drive.
</font>

i used to have a web browser disc for my sega saturn game system. never bothered to pick up the keyboard for it, though. it was like $30 and a funky proprietary connector...

i'm sure you could do it on a ps2, judging it has a network adaptor connected.