PDA

View Full Version : If This Kid ISN'T in a Shop Class Somewhere

Tuckerfan
06-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Then he probably needs to be. At the very least, it'll keep him out of trouble.

[This message has been edited by Neil (edited 08-08-2005).]

chief
06-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Great fun for the whole family,If I were his father I certainly would be proud, One simple demonstration and no more problems with sniveling,whining neigbhors or home owner associations.

wierdscience
06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Here kitty,kitty,kitty http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Carl
06-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Nothing like posting a picture of yourself grinning like an idiot while holding what the BATFE undoubtedly considers a destructive device that you made yourself. All that remains to be seen is whether he's headed for San Quentin or the Darwin Awards.

x39
06-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Nice to see a kid who isn't sitting on his ass in front of a video screen.

x39
06-18-2005, 10:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carl:
[B]Nothing like posting a picture of yourself grinning like an idiot while holding what the BATFE undoubtedly considers a destructive device that you made yourselfB]</font>

Actually, flame throwers aren't federally regulated items.

JRouche
06-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Very nice, I'm gonna have to make that lighter...JRouche

wierdscience
06-18-2005, 11:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x39:
Actually, flame throwers aren't federally regulated items.</font>

Actually they sell weedburners at Homedepot,it might be the Napalm that's regulated http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

x39
06-18-2005, 11:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
it might be the Napalm that's regulated </font>

Not sure about that, but in this case it doesn't matter, the kid was shooting alcohol.

zl1byz
06-19-2005, 12:05 AM
I had to get those pic's off my screen real fast when my 10 year old came in from a session of scorching things with a magnifying glass. Soon as he saw those pipes and fittings hes eyes lit up, he was takeing mental smap shots I'm sure. Probably out in the shop building one now. Naa, it's locked up so I'm safe for now. But he loves inventing things.

I hope someone was looking after that kid. He must have had an accomplis taking the pictures etc.

We used to use flame throwers to ignite maze trash after it had been harvested. Just used diesel through a standard weed spray rig, with an lit oily rag as a pilot.

John.

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 07:04 AM
FIRST, It is a destructive device. Second I would personally call the cops or F/D on him. If he has all that energy to do something,try something not illeagle.

pete913
06-19-2005, 07:29 AM
I just hope to God his dad has family medical insurance for when the "invention" blows up in his kids face and leaves him a toasted crispy critter for life. People too dumb to be scared s--tless by this type of stuff worry me somewhat,but any parent who'd let his kid fool with something like that is living proof of Darwin's theories.

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 06-19-2005).]

Alistair Hosie
06-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Very dangerous what does a kid want in the first place with a flame thrower scarey he needs a pscychiatrist good god what next.Alistair

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Good thing that school is out for the summer or we might be reading about him in the paper or seeing his crime on TV.

ibewgypsie
06-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, I explained to a guy how to make a home-made nuclear device.

He told me I wasn't that smart, it wouldn't work. Called a college friend then came back and apologized.

Things like this, or people who do crazy things must be regulated for the common good. (I can understand this) There was a kid in Michigan I think who made his own nuclear bomb. Thank god he never tested it.

Flamethrower:
Imagine, One flaming gurgle going up through the tank, pressurized with air. Did you see a one-way valve on the system? A poppit to shut fuel off before it hits bottom of the tank? Geeze. At the least? He needs to pressurize with a non-combustible gas. The ideal situation? A old C02 fire extinguisher for fuel, and another for C02 to push it. Both in a saddle backpack. What this kid has built is a bomb. He'll be getting "peeled" at a massive burn unit somewhere.

They put you into a tank of salt water, have to peel all the dead skin off you to prevent you from getting serious infections. No painkiller can ease the amount of pain a serious burn makes. The Sheets stick to your "oozing body". The skin wrinkles and never heals back completely no matter how many skin grafts they take off your butt and put onto the burns. I knowed a nurse that worked in the burn unit. She had became totally heartless from being around the paitients. ie: isolated, careless, and listened to a walkman all the time at work.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

chief
06-19-2005, 08:17 AM
A camaro or a mustang and a six pack is a destructive device too. If you read the article the kid practiced safety throughout the construction of it. He did nothing wrong
unless he uses it to hold up a 7-11.
It's no more dangerous than some of the people on this board who fancy themselves gunsmiths,ammo reloaders or electricans and ask questions about what material to use for gun barrels or if iron bars are acceptable fusible links.
If I had this kid in my unit in the service
I would promote him and send him to EOD.

x39
06-19-2005, 09:03 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
[B]FIRST, It is a destructive device. B]</font>

No, it is not.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~sickler/opforstuff/goodstuff/Class3LawsBardwell.HTM
Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page to the section on DDs and you'll see. Barring local ordinances, there is nothing illegal about constructing a flame thrower.

[This message has been edited by x39 (edited 06-19-2005).]

Spin Doctor
06-19-2005, 11:06 AM
If the kid had just left as a super soaker then most of us would be applauding his work. But a pressurized vessel made of PVC with a combustable liquid inside it? I'm glad this kid doesn't live near me.

SJorgensen
06-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Yes this is likely to have a bad result. Fire is just too difficult to stop once you've let the cat out of the bag. And sites like that one tend to generate a lot of excitement in 10 to 14 year-olds. Anytime you pressurize a vessel with fuel and with oxygen, you've got a lot of potential trouble. combine that with PVC's static electricity properties and although I don't know the odds are of a spark inside the device, I can visualize the results. Another mode of failure would be a little liquid alcohol dribling down the poor lad's arm. By the time he notices the nearly invisible flames, he is going to drop the hose (with the ball valve open of course.) Then as he runs around with his arm all afire and flailing about he's likely to be running around like a madman, but also a madman with a backpack on trailing a hose that is spraying liquid fire on everything around. It might make an interesting video but it isn't likely to be what we adults would call "funny."

Burns are among the most un-funny injuries a person can suffer. I know that, and I've been lucky in that regard.

There are other modes of failure that I can imagine and that is probably why the pros use protective gear when they use their flame-throwers.

Kid's; You've really got to educate them.

halac
06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
I wished this kid lived in my area of Florida. I 'd want him on my combat robot team!

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com (http://www.teampyramid.com)

Your Old Dog
Think I'd feel better if this kid were home watching TV instead of doing a "how to" primer for terrorist.

Hope he gets along well with his classmates.

Wirecutter
My first reaction is "cool". What a neat little device, however useless. (I mean really - you can't just go around torching things for fun - if you want to stay out of jail and alive, you have to pick "targets" very carefully)

OTOH, you have to think about safety, like Ibew says. If I built something like this, the first thing I would do is find out what a "safe" pressure is for it. Build two or three, and do a destructive burst test on a couple. Then keep the max pressure below about half of that. At least the kid thought about the fuel. (PVC is soluable in petroleum products, and alcohol at least burns a bit cleaner) And yes, some kind of check valve would be imperative. Ibew's graphic description of burn treatment is all that's needed to convince anyone of that. The idea of strapping this thing to my back just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, it's all just a toy, but what I really like about it comes from the link that X39 posted. I quote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Flame Thrower - not a DD, nor even a firearm. Unregulated as to possession, under federal law. Great way to clear snow off the driveway. </font>

Now, I don't know what kind of legal expert the writer of this page claims to be. Let the reader beware. But I like the idea of clearing snow. More fun than even a snowthrower. I wonder if it would really work?

Wirecutter
06-19-2005, 12:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJorgensen:
By the time he notices the nearly invisible flames, he is going to drop the hose (with the ball valve open of course.) Then as he runs around with his arm all afire and flailing about he's likely to be running around like a madman, but also a madman with a backpack on trailing a hose that is spraying liquid fire on everything around. </font>

Don't forget the pressurized tank of propane he's using as a "pilot light". Add shrapnel to the list of hazards when this thing goes out of control. Yuck.

BillH
06-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Kinda wierd how you older guys are scared of kids. It wasn't all that long ago I was in middle school and I remember all my classmates going thru the pyro phase, then later it was the special forces phase. I remember this one kid explaining to all of us how he had an idea of making a flame thrower, take a Super soaker, fill it with gasoline, and have a small lighter out in front to ignite it. I asked him how he planned on keeping the fire from going back into the tank, he said he was going to put a sponge on the nozzle!
Now this kid, from what I've seen, is a hell of a lot smarter and better off then the people I went to school with.
Alistair, because you cant think of a reason why kid should want a flame thrower dont mean the rest of the world must think the same thing. Bahh to the mind police. Please every boy his age is thinking the same stuff, probably doing the same stuff, atleast this kid actually has an idea of what he is doing.

Your Old Dog
06-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I think too many of these young guys been dating Rosey Palm too long! Need to get out of the house and spend some of that pent up energy on other than self gratification! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistar, did they build muscle cars in the UK? It was big when I was a young'un!

from an old guy!

wierdscience
06-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Ask yourself which is more dangerous-

This kid playing with his flame thrower-or him-
Driving drunk?
Smoking weed or worse?
Knocking up your duaghter?
Stealing from you and everyone else?
Running his own meth lab?

spope14
06-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I have to give the kid credit for determining the physics, chemistry, and mechanics of the flame thrower. I would take him in my shop class, but he sure as hell would not be allowed to make one of those, a like object, and would be well forewarned about it.

Personally, I cringe when I see this type of stuff....Once upon a time it was "tater guns". Have to wonder, why does anyone make a flame thrower, but that is not the subject....

On a side note......Can anyone say "Liability"? Something everyone gripes about being a "loss of freedom", however, the first thing almost all of those same people seek when they get blowed up by something like this. For example, a teacher in New England (I know him) allowed a student to make look alike sword - not a smart idea to begin with, but he had the parents and school admin sign off on it as the kid persisted and went over the teachers head. Personally, this would not be allowed in my shop at all, and another teacher would have taken over the class had this happened to me, but I digress.....

Two others get the same permission, and what do you know......surprise... some kid gets threatened in the hallways of the schools by a student with a look alike sword, PD, PTO, School Board, media involved, and what else do you know....the admin, parents who signed off, the kid who made the sword and threatened the other kid, all who approved and forced the project were nowhere to be found but running away and throwing blame at the teacher like they were innocent little lambs lead to slaughter. Teacher fired, letters in the file, credentials pulled. All who approved it said he - the teacher- should have known......

Chicken#@%& Yes, I am preturbed.

As I said, the kid with the flame thrower deserves credit for his research and work, but I would be real careful letting him in my class, and would forewarn him explicitly about the consequences of trying to slide one by. With guidance, and perhaps a firm hand to start, might do quite well.....

Got to wonder, would you let your kid make flame thrower? Also have to wonder, if you saw a kid walking down the street with a flame thrower going full tilt, what would you do - sit and be amazed, or call the cops.....

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 06-19-2005).]

Alistair Hosie
06-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Bill I notice you dont answer the simple question I asked simply what he would need with such a device???Not sure there is an answer.And as most people rightly say this thing could explode hurting himself badly or others.Surely that would make anyone question,(and I am glad to see most here do question his normal inbuilt sense of impending danger)Sorry I would hate to see those type of burns happen to any kid I am surprised he got parental approval.As to the question about him getting drunk and driving they are both stupid two wrongs don't make a right Alistair

x39
06-19-2005, 03:34 PM
For all the hand wringers and cop callers who think this kid is a psycho, I'd like to relate a story. I have three step brothers, all of whom are pretty bright, but the youngest is REAL smart. Back in the seventies while he was still in high school, an ill advised practical joke on his part brought him to the attention of the FBI, who sent an agent to examine his home work shop/lab. The agent had the good sense and at that time, the flexibility to see that my brother had just done something stupid, and that he posed no threat to society. The matter was dropped. My step brother went on to get a degree in mechanical engineering, and a doctorate in physics from MIT, which probably would not have happened had it not been for the benevolence of that agent. I agree that the young fellow in this web site could use some guidance, but I admire him for having the guts and imagination to undertake a project like this. He may be the next Wernher von Braun.

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't care what some guy says on an internet page. This sonofabitch is Illeagal ! If a draincleaner and aluminum bomb is not leagal then this is not either.

In Iowa this is a class 2 or 3 weapon.
Besides it is a weapon so if he is a minor it is against the law.

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 03:48 PM
You call it guts and imaginitation, most here would call it insanity, stupidity,and a few other things.

wierdscience
06-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Well after reading all the hand wringing posts I have changed my opinion!

He is a miss guided youth,much truth in the old saying"an idle mind is the devil's workshop.

So with that in mind-Abolish child labor laws now!!!!He would not have time to build crazy stuff if he was working 60hrs a week plus!

canonicalman
06-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I agree that this kid is technically fairly bright. But that's not the issue. Building a flame thower shows a profound lack of good sense. Even real military flame thowers were extreemly dangerous. In war time dangerous things are done, and for many men carrying a flame thrower was the last thing they ever did.

When I was this kid's age I also built alot of potentially dangerous things like rockets, bombs, radioctive apparatus, x-rays devices, etc. But, I always had this little voice that told me where the 'stupid' line was. So, I carried my bomb on the end of a rod while wearing protective gear, and I set off my rockets from a distance while behind a shield, I decided not to build the powerdered Berylium and Thorium neutron source, etc.

PS - X39 I also went on to get a Ph.D. in physics. And I also would be in jail today if school officials act like they do today.

Wirecutter
06-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Ahem. Well, it would be interesting if the kid himself saw all this digression. Wonder what he'd think?

20 years ago, I was doing just this kind of dangerous and perhaps misguided thing. Luckily, no injury ever resulted, and only minimal property damage, usually my own. Of course the kid's built a dangerous device, but nobody agrees on just how dangerous. I'm lucky I never blew myself up with all of my little "experiments". I gave myself a good scare once, and that made me much more careful. Eventually, I put most of the really crazy stuff away.

I agree with X39. With a bit of guidance, direction, positive example, whatever - he might acheive greatness. At the very least, he might be cautioned so nobody gets hurt. I do think that it's worth noting that he built something interesting. At the age of 14 or 15, if the idea had crossed my mind, I may have done exactly the same thing.

tattoomike68
06-19-2005, 04:15 PM
fire is not a toy, one trip to a burn unit and he will retire that thing.

I would rather see the kid make a jet engine from an old turbo charger.

chief
06-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Perhaps one day the neigbhor will walk by your shop, see the lathe and call the police.
You have the potential to make guns, abolish machine tools.
Don't laugh, this is how this **** gets started, some do-gooder doesn't like what another person does and the next thing you know no one can do anything. I am glad I do not live near many of you. You want to jail this kid because he has the potential to do something wrong not because he did anything wrong.
The truth of the matter is your are afraid of this kid. You live with your head in the sand hoping that if we all just walk around like mindless drone everything will be ok.
I am sick and tired of this "you can't do
this or that or you might offend someone BS".
People were afraid of my car and motorcycle
when I was young, then they were afraid of me because I was the derranged baby killer
veteran, they were afraid of me because I brought an oriental woman home but after
9/11 it was "Jim you were in the service for 30 years you know all about guys and terrorists and protecting yourself,help and a show us what to do". My reply was "sin loi".

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 05:09 PM
"Perhaps one day the neigbhor will walk by your shop, see the lathe and call the police."

Chief, We are prol'y closer than you think to that, If the KCPD can go through a mans garbage on the curb and say .."Here is a plastic pop bottle It could be a makeshift silencer lets ask for a warrant and search his house and see what we can find.'' they got it and the guy went to jail for a bag of pot. This was in the paper a few years ago,B4 (9-11).

I don't give a damn what this kid does to himself, but the news is filled with kids who get mad at someone and grab dads gun and kill someone, if dads gun is locked up what happens he goes to a web site and sees how easy it is to make a F/thrower or bomb and kills some other kid, then gets off with a few years of supervised probation.

wierdscience
06-19-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll bet the kid has a baseball bat too http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

caddy
06-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey Guys
Lighten up. We have all seen the TV reports of people doing horrible things. Let's not make this young man a criminal. He is not. He is just a kid with a curiousity and talent. That doesn't make him John Dillinger.
I for one found it to be not only inventive but it showed a good deal of thought and the desire to "make it happen". None of this means he is going to do anything bad.
Let him be a kid. Think back to our days of bigger and better sling shots. Remember?
My only concern is that he give a GOOD DEAL more thought to safety and the possibility that he may know just enough to hurt himself.

Carl
06-19-2005, 05:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn't appeal to you, you're a goddamn pansy.</font>

Direct quote from the kid himself on the site.

Carl
06-19-2005, 05:51 PM
...and another:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.</font>

Carl
06-19-2005, 05:55 PM
...and one more

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">TURN UP THE MOTHER****ING HEAT.</font>

Not exactly a quote from the Boy Scout hand book I carried.

x39
06-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't care what some guy says on an internet page. This sonofabitch is Illeagal ! .</font>
As I stated, I wasn't speaking to local law, but on a federal level you are incorrect. Here is a link to the ATF web-site, and the text of the 1968 GCA which defines destructive devices. Prove me wrong. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/index.htm

BillH
06-19-2005, 06:07 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
Bill I notice you dont answer the simple question I asked simply what he would need with such a device???Not sure there is an answer.And as most people rightly say this thing could explode hurting himself badly or others.Surely that would make anyone question,(and I am glad to see most here do question his normal inbuilt sense of impending danger)Sorry I would hate to see those type of burns happen to any kid I am surprised he got parental approval.As to the question about him getting drunk and driving they are both stupid two wrongs don't make a right Alistair</font>

Alistair, didnt answer that question simply because it is none of my buisness to ask why he has it, just like its no ones buisness as to what guns I own. I still like to think I live in a free country. I also believe in Darwinism, if this kid burns himself to death then add another to the statistics. Let him have his fun, expirience comes from making mistakes. If he is anything like me, he will get a really close call and decide for himself that it is not the smartest. But again if he never gets any close calls then his contraption is probably safer than most think. It is an entirely different matter however if he goes down the block burning peoples pets and property, however this kid is not doing that.
I never shot anyones pets with a spud gun, although I did lob a potato in the general direction of a certain dinner boat going down the lake, well short of actually hitting it. I also had a spud gun explode in my arms, and I have held m80's in my hand and watch the fuse burn down before throwing it, and another time my friend shot me with a wax bullet from a .22lr, written my name in gasoline, threw more gasoline into the fire while holding onto the gas tank, watching the flame come back towards me... Hey, im still here in one piece, and have a better grasp on the dangers of playing with fire than most. Oh yeh another time I accidently set my shirt on fire playing with model rockets, you figure that one out...

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 06-19-2005).]

IOWOLF
06-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Listen a minute ,X man, If a cop catches you with that, or a base ball bat(without a glove) in your auto you will at least be in for a ass chewing,minimum. Go to jail more than likley.
Now I am not going to get into a pissing match with you over a law which may or may not be on the books. However state and local laws do override federal laws.

For a kid this smart to do something so Iresponsible is a crime in itself,IMHO

I will post no more to this post so you can have the last word.

John Stevenson
06-19-2005, 06:11 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x39:
agree that the young fellow in this web site could use some guidance, but I admire him for having the guts and imagination to undertake a project like this. He may be the next Wernher von Braun.</font>

No, Wernher von Braun was taller.

mochinist
06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
...and one more

Not exactly a quote from the Boy Scout hand book I carried.</font>

Oh my god he said ****, oops I said **** too.

Ban the internet so know other kids get bad ideas.

I swear some of you guys get older and totally forget what it was like to be young dumb and full of cum.

gunsmith
06-19-2005, 06:31 PM
It's great to see a kid with imagination and the ability to make it happen. If he lives long enough he will most definatly contribute somthing to this world that will be of benefit to all of us. Be a kid as long as you can and enjoy. The rest a just jealous.

canonicalman
06-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Carl, I agree. This is one disturbed kid. IMHO he has gone well beyond the messing around with fire stage. I wonder if his parents have seen his web site? I bet they have no idea of either the device their son built or the web site on which he brags about it.

x39
06-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Listen a minute ,X man, ...Now I am not going to get into a pissing match with you ...I will post no more to this post so you can have the last word.</font>
That's fine, nothing to get emotional about.

NiftyNev
06-19-2005, 07:37 PM
He may not end up frying himself but how many who copy him will?

Nev.

PSD KEN
06-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Interesting to watch people get their knickers all twisted up over the thing.
More power to him!

Arcane
06-19-2005, 08:39 PM
http://www.nothingcoolhere.com/stuff/Pics/wartip.bmp

BillH
06-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Anyone notice the kids web page is down? Ok, who is the do-gooder that reported to his ISP?

ibewgypsie
06-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Probably a federal watchdog.

I don't blame the US goverment for censoring somethings. Some of the things I say should be censored at times.

My camera-laser scanner could have evil uses too. Probably the reason I won't post the raw code for it. Imagine a rifle mounted on a tripod with a camera scanning the horizon, a simple $6 pointer and the camera locks on the color frequency and fires a round directly into the "dot"..
Probably why the goverment made a law about shining a laser pointer on "any" federal employee a felony.
Hell, I ain't even smart as some of the goofball terrorists.

David

BillH
06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Ibew, I think anyone with enough back issues of Nuts and Volts could do the same thing, the Sony Aibo robot does the same thing with its little orange ball. Sentry gun sure beats out a little robot dog though...

mochinist
06-19-2005, 09:14 PM
We should be like China, they censor lots of things to protect their people-

[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]

-from thinking for theirselves.

[This message has been edited by mochinist (edited 06-19-2005).]

radish1us
06-19-2005, 09:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Anyone notice the kids web page is down? Ok, who is the do-gooder that reported to his ISP?</font>

What's the deal with this lot,you only get the dreaded HTTP 404 when you log on. Has his site been pulled, or too many hits to overloading it??

snowman
06-19-2005, 09:26 PM
I have mixed opinions...for one, I can't see the site.

When I was in school, I took all of my model rocket engines apart. I then ground down the gunpowder in a homemade mortar and pestle...small quantities, and yes, occasionally I would have it flash in my face from the friction. I was smart enough to wear safety glasses and do it outside. When I had one flash on me, I'd quit for the day.

That gunpowder got turned into everything, film canister bombs, flash pots, even made a small blackpowder handgun out of misc stuff I found in the garage.

I played with gasoline, thermite, etc. I made gasoline bombs with my model rocket igniters and 3 liter soda bottles.

when i went to school, I always had a .22 in the trunk of my car, and usually always had a knife in my pocket and .22 shells in my coat. i worked on a farm, it was part of life.

i spent time in all of my schools libraries, digging through physics, chemistry, math, etc books. Anything I could extract data from.

this was 7 years ago, do that today, or even the day after columbine...i'd have never made it out of school.

I dont think there is a damn thing wrong with kids today....there is however something wrong with their parents. my parents never knew what i was doing...but they knew i was doing things i wasn't supposed to. they could read my face, my voice, my expressions. They knew when I was in to something I couldn't handle, they still do.

-Jacob

Your Old Dog
06-19-2005, 09:49 PM
As an "old guy", I don't feel bad about not condoning what this kids doing. I'm an adult. It's my role in life to feel that way when I witnes stupidity in our young. This kids smart enough to build a flame thrower but too damn dumb to know the flash point of the alchol he's using is considerably less than what the military uses. Let's hope for his sake the cansister stays pressurized. He'll be a hurting puppy when he gets carried away and burns his fuel off to the point the tank pressure drops and the flame is allowed to burn up into the nozzle. Then we'll hear about him on the Darwin awards. Hopefully he will have as much support from this board then as he seems to have now, all in the interest of demonstrating his genious (read gene ass). Maybe he'll survive to join our forum some day and pat other kids on the back for having survived their stupidity and youth.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 06-19-2005).]

tattoomike68
06-19-2005, 10:14 PM
what the kid needs is this 26" long remote control tank I have, maybe add a rugar 10-22, a 410 shotgun and the flame thrower, that will make a nice toy for that kid.

LMAO, I think that kid is a little bad ass. I wish I knew his e mail so he could come on this site and defend himself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/miketattoo68/tank.jpg

caddy
06-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi Again
My second and last post on this thread. It is very interesting how much interest this has generated. I for one hope that this youngster will do us all proud and turn out to be a good responsible person that we all want for our youth. Only time will tell.And kid, if you read this do more homework regarding the safety of this device for both yourself and others as well.

Carl
06-19-2005, 11:07 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Carl:
...and one more
Not exactly a quote from the Boy Scout hand book I carried.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh my god he said ****, oops I said **** too.

Ban the internet so know other kids get bad ideas.

I swear some of you guys get older and totally forget what it was like to be young dumb and full of cum.</font>

I don't give a damn what he said or where, I was just trying to point out his mind set. This isn't fun with Mr. Wizard, it's hey look at me I'm a badass. I think Columbine and some of the other sad situations recently have proven that some of these kids will stop at literally nothing to gain that reputation.

Carl
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
It didn't get pulled from the site in time, it's all over the internet. Here it is in pdf format:

www.brain-scratch.net/immagini/HMFT.pdf (http://www.brain-scratch.net/immagini/HMFT.pdf)

Carl
06-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Here (http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?s=3575b0c4793aa80d34ed8415f6a46257&showtopic=10200&pid=122780&st=40&#entry122780) it is being linked off a UK site, scroll down to post #44.

snowman
06-19-2005, 11:40 PM
wow

i do believe that disproves charles darwin's theories on natural selection

Carl
06-19-2005, 11:42 PM
And here (http://www.kqe.de/Politik_13372071.html) it is on a German site.

Look for a little psycho with a homemade flamethrower coming to a continent near you!

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 06-19-2005).]

hammerhead74000
06-19-2005, 11:44 PM
One builds them because they are cool... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif http://www.srl.org/ http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

It's the same reason you build a McLaren F1, or a (full-scale, not a model) replica P51 Mustang, or for that matter, a Mac...

If it comes down to "you can't have it unless you need it" - go live in a hovel, sleep on the ground, work all day (no play), ban movies, the internet, etc... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

That being said, what this guy has done does concern me a little bit... I haven't seen the site (getting a 404) but the descriptions here make me worry about it's engineering...

As for it's weapon potential; it's probably more hazardous to the wielder than anybody else... It's very noticeable, and everybody would go running. It has very poor range, compared to a gun, so if he started menacing anybody, he'd be something of a sitting duck (as the cops would start shooting on sight)...

hammerhead74000
06-20-2005, 12:08 AM
OK - I just had a look at the PDF version linked to above ---

Based on where he's testing it; this guy is an idiot. Perhaps a gifted idiot, but neverless an idiot. He's gonna' get shot by the cops - and then; his fuel tank is gonna' go boom from the bullets.

Can you say, "Crispy Critter?"

SJorgensen
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
You shouldn't have to worry about this kid. I think he is a smart kid and he needs some mentoring. There is a problem though, because mentoring is not some common thing any more. And fathers are becoming rare and I say this on Father's day. Single parent households are the common thing. It is a core problem.

x39
06-20-2005, 08:26 AM
SJorgensen- an excellent observation.

KENZ
06-20-2005, 09:00 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Probably a federal watchdog.

I don't blame the US goverment for censoring somethings. Some of the things I say should be censored at times.

My camera-laser scanner could have evil uses too. Probably the reason I won't post the raw code for it. Imagine a rifle mounted on a tripod with a camera scanning the horizon, a simple $6 pointer and the camera locks on the color frequency and fires a round directly into the "dot"..
Probably why the goverment made a law about shining a laser pointer on "any" federal employee a felony.
Hell, I ain't even smart as some of the goofball terrorists.

David</font>

For the rifle on the tripod just watch the movie "The Jackal" with Bruce Willis. It had a camera and was remote controlled. There is even a scene where he takes the plans for the tripod and control assemblies to a machine shop to have it made.

On the note of the flame thrower. Having done a bunch of stupid stuff as a kid as well, that is something I wouldn't have built. If I had tried to build it, my dad would have found it and destroyed it. I got in enough trouble when my Dad caught me using a can of WD-40 and a lighter for a flame thrower. My Dad made no bones about-- If that can goes up your going to get F..ked up. And told me to put it down and never even think about doing it again. I think if it had it not meant a trip to the Emergency room he would have broken both my arms.

Its cool to think about how something like that works, how it could be made, but to actually build it is not a good idea. And the way that thing is made I wouldn't want it anywhere near me.

[This message has been edited by KENZ (edited 06-20-2005).]

Your Old Dog
06-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Anyone notice the kids web page is down? Ok, who is the do-gooder that reported to his ISP?</font>

Maybe nobody did. I understand the usa contracts with outside countries to watch for specail phrases coming from this country that we can't due to privacy issues. When certain buzz words go thru the system they get flagged and read by a human and moved onto the contracting party. Words that deal with, for instance, "primer for terriorist" might be enough to get your message flagged for closer scrutiney. I don't have a problem with the practice but I expect some would. I got anything sensitive to say I'll say it to you in person, in a park, in Washing D.C., in a glass booth, with blaring music............

Ian B
06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
The original website's working fine, from where I'm sitting. Maybe the US government has adopted the Chinese rules on website access...

All of the other arguments aside, I thought it was a pretty imaginative use of bits of 4" pipe & elbows to make the pressure tank - a bit like the torus breathing apparatus tanks now in use.

Ian

Wirecutter
06-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I just noticed something. In one of the last pictures in the PDF version of the post, you can see that the property from which the picture is shot has been sold. Perhaps this whole thing is the kid's last nefarious act before leaving the neighborhood.

BillH
06-20-2005, 01:40 PM
The flame thrower kid is harmless, its kids like this you should be worried about.
http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=3456745

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 06-20-2005).]

andy_b
06-20-2005, 02:30 PM
flamethrowers are not illegal under federal law in the US. last time i checked, you could get one for about $4500. Air Products (you know, the large industrial gas company) will refill the pressure tanks for you, but they also pressure test them to be sure you don't blow yourself up.

as for uses, the biggest is vegetation control. i have this stuff by my house that reacts to straight undiluted Round-Up as though i was dumping fertilizer on it. i was seriously looking into getting a flamethrower, but the bulldozer was cheaper.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

Evan
06-20-2005, 03:19 PM
I use a tiger torch for weed control. One of these days I need to build a cart for the propane tank. It works great for the dandelions in the driveway and doesn't introduce any poison into the environment. I really dislike using poisons although I will use Roundup from time to time. I will very sparingly use 2-4-D but only once every few years and only on one small lawn.

The torch is quick. You don't need to burn the plant, just singe it enough to wilt the leaves. It's also cheaper than Roundup.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-20-2005).]

topct
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Actually I kind of like the kids attitude. He didn't make any threats to anyone, he aproached the project with the intent of "not" blowing himself up, he used a fuel that is safer than gasoline, he has a smile on his face, etc.

I also think he was probably supervised. And I wouldn't be surprised if his dad took the pictures.

I remember when fireworks were legal. It's a wonder I still have all my fingers and both eyes. The things we did when I was a kid would deffinatly be considered anti-social these days.

I would rather have him next door to me than the disturbed sort that BillH pointed out. I mean look at the dog. And worst those poor kids that guy has effected forever.

Let's not condemn him for stuff most of us curiosity seekers here have done when we were conducting our own experiments. And in some cases still do.

He's not balancing grinding wheels by drilling holes in them is he?

And as far as what he said on his site....
pish-posh.

------------------
Gene

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 06-20-2005).]

bob308
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
what a bunch of closed minded people. at that kids age we all made remarks like that. when i was 18 i was sent to town to buy dyamite to blow out stumps on the farm. no forms to fill out no asking the government for permission. and i never once robed a bank or blew up the neighbors. when i was in high school we built connons in machine shop. we also made knives out of the big power hacksaw blades when they broke. and you should have seen the cross bow we made out of the 57 chevy rear spring.

Wirecutter
06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
The flame thrower kid is harmless, its kids like this you should be worried about.
</font>

Yuck. I am worried. I am. This type of abuser often graduates to serial killer.

I think most of us agree that, at least on some level, noisy, flashy, bangy, things can be (or in our pasts, have been) fun. You know - boys will be boys, etc. But causing injury to others is certainly not. That was certainly not the idea with the flamethrower, although a case could be made for turning it on the abusing kid BillH mentions...

.RC.
06-20-2005, 05:49 PM
I get the feeling some of you have been brainwashed by the media...ooo any young fella who blows stuff up makes dangerous things and doesn't follow the NFL or Basketball or other such sports is a potential serial killer/terrorist and should be locked up for eternity..

Firstly I don't believe he built that entirely himself...I think he has had help from someone older...

Secondly I used to build stuff like that(well not a flame thrower)when I was young...

I built a 12 gauge shotgun using only a drill and welder and common parts, while it did actully work it had a 50ft trigger string and was only fired while I had at least 30ft of solid dirt between it and me..It no longer exists today as as I got older I realised how dangerous it and things I did like it were....I never hurt any other person and I never hurt anyone elses property....

Yes some of the things he says on his website are a bit disturbing how ever he could just have written that to stir up people if he wrote it at all...

canonicalman
06-20-2005, 06:00 PM
ringer

I think you list the exact reasons why people here are concerned.

Firstly I do believe he built that entirely himself

"Secondly I used to build stuff like that(well not a flame thrower)when I was young..." Exactly, "not a flame thrower"

"I built a 12 gauge shotgun using only a drill and welder and common parts, while it did actully work it had a 50ft trigger string and was only fired while I had at least 30ft of solid dirt between it and me..It no longer exists today as as I got older I realised how dangerous it and things I did like it were....I never hurt any other person and I never hurt anyone elses property...."

As you say "while it did actully work it had a 50ft trigger string and was only fired while I had at least 30ft of solid dirt between it and me.." This kid is carrying this flame thrower on his back. At least you had some sense of danger and crossing the line. This kid has none, which makes him dangerous to others as well as himself.

Often with the little pyro toys many of us have built when young, the only regret if something went wrong was some singed hair or a bad scare. This kid is on his way to the intensive burn care unit.

mochinist
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
I don't give a damn what he said or where, I was just trying to point out his mind set. This isn't fun with Mr. Wizard, it's hey look at me I'm a badass. I think Columbine and some of the other sad situations recently have proven that some of these kids will stop at literally nothing to gain that reputation.

[QUOTE]quote:</font>

Yes he was trying to sound like a badass on his internet homepage, a homepage about his homemade flamethrower duh.

Your Old Dog
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Obviously sanity is loosing out on this topic. I think we should re-think our position.

We should all be so lucky as to have a fine young man like this living next to our loved ones. My mind has been changed. I now think the kid should build a flame thrower. It's good exercise for his mind. Maybe he should even build a thermonuclear device. Something he could stow away in his closet just for ****s and grins as they say. Hell, how much could it cost for him start building a catapult watermellon launcher but only toss something that makes a much bigger bang. Hell, this is all about "potential" anyway right? What a bright kid. Maybe, like someone eluded to here, he could remote control it all. Then he could take some pride in the fact that he at least has the ability to cause mayhem if he so desires. I guess that would move him up the food chain considerably right?

I suppose if he were in the military I'd give the kid a promotion. If I weren't, I'd give him about 2 years probation and orders to see a shrink. I'd like to know the public is safe from this dear bright child.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 06-20-2005).]

pete913
06-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Right. This is the same type of real intelligent slob that costs people and busineses billions ever year in the form of virus creation, or as I've called it before, economic terrorism.
I read through his semi functioning website pretty thoroughly, and it's obvious this kid, while he may be bright, has some serious mental health issues. Hell, Leopold and Loeb were bright, only thing was, they were both stone cold unrepentant killers.
Any military commander who'd promote this type of person, instead of sending him to get some help, needs to be scrutinized pretty thoroughly himself IMO.

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 06-20-2005).]

.RC.
06-20-2005, 09:07 PM
I believe everything I read on the internet too and always form opinions on people also by what I read on the net...

mochinist
06-20-2005, 10:10 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pete913:
Right. This is the same type of real intelligent slob that costs people and busineses billions ever year in the form of virus creation, or as I've called it before, economic terrorism.
I read through his semi functioning website pretty thoroughly, and it's obvious this kid, while he may be bright, has some serious mental health issues. Hell, Leopold and Loeb were bright, only thing was, they were both stone cold unrepentant killers.
Any military commander who'd promote this type of person, instead of sending him to get some help, needs to be scrutinized pretty thoroughly himself IMO.

[This message has been edited by pete913 (edited 06-20-2005).]</font>

Now the kid is on the same page as a virus creator? Wow maybe he is doing secret work for Osama too, he is developing flame throwers for Al Queda.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative18.jpg

pete913
06-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah well, some of us developed beyond a 12 yr old mentality, and some of us are still trying to justify never having progressed beyond it. Pffffffft.

BillH
06-21-2005, 08:44 PM
And Some of us are playing computer games that let us do anything we want with flame throwers &gt; http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~billh308/GTAflame.jpg

You see, millions of people are playing GTA, just imagine what would happen if they all knew how to make flame throwers in real life.

mochinist
06-21-2005, 09:02 PM
And Some of us are playing computer games that let us do anything we want with flame throwers &gt; http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~billh308/GTAflame.jpg

You see, millions of people are playing GTA, just imagine what would happen if they all knew how to make flame throwers in real life.</font>

Nice, I like using the chainsaw better though, the baseball bat is also great fun.

mochinist
06-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah well, some of us developed beyond a 12 yr old mentality, and some of us are still trying to justify never having progressed beyond it. Pffffffft.</font>

Boohoo Pfffffffffft

x39
06-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah well, some of us developed beyond a 12 yr old mentality, and some of us are still trying to justify never having progressed beyond it. Pffffffft.</font>
I resent that. My mentality is at least on par with the average 14 year old! Pffft. Pffft. Pffffffttt. Hmmmmm, I kinda like that.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif

spope14
06-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Holy cow.....Hey, back to the basic question, if the kid is not in a shop class, he should be. I really do not know the kid, motives, opr anything else. For all I know he is probably just building the thing for grins and giggles. Man, how I survived my youth with acetylene, some baloons nd a piece of pipe around - could shoot a golf ball about 1/3 mile downrange. Or, the borrowing of some training grenades (big bang noisemakers) nearly getting us arrested one night.

Granted, not flame throwers, but a kid can make a flame thrower out of a spray paint can.

is not at all smart, we probably all agree.

But, would I let the kid in my shop class? He has imagination, knows the physics and chemistry, could probably use some guidance to put his talents to other uses. If he were to say "Mr. Pope. want to see my flame thrower?", I would absolutely say no, and you can't make these type of things in my shop, there are safety things to consider, and flame throwers are probably not your best idea for the future.....

I would crtainly be more aware of what he is up to, have to say that in fairness....

Man, I get horrible fear when I see my sudents pull out from the school paking lot on their little japanese race motorcycles, their souped hondas, and big old trucks. Probably a better chance of killing themselves and others on these I fear. I hear the stupid stories of the foil bombs.....

One has to wonder, where were the parents and others in safety guidance.

I also have to wonder if we made too much of this, maybe so, maybe not, but there is a lot to consider on this thread.

bbfmetalworking
06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
http://gprime.net/video.php/supersoakerflamethrower

garyphansen
06-22-2005, 12:00 AM
That is just plain NUTTS.
Gary P. Hansen

crewchief
06-22-2005, 01:20 AM
nothing like seeing kiddies playing with their flame throwers,isnt it great? so they lose some hair ,skin ,arms ,legs all part of their learning curve................

Tuckerfan
06-22-2005, 02:03 AM
Geeze, I spend weeks working on that Tucker piece and it gets maybe 10 posts. I slap up a quickie post about some kid building a flame thrower and it goes for 3 pages! I'll never understand people.

Mcgyver
06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I'll never understand people.[/B]</font>

whats to understand - emotive vs informative, broad base of appeal vs narrow. want 60+ posts? put something out about US attitudes towards firearms :O

ibewgypsie
06-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Weapons of Mass Destruction? Lets bomb his house. Ha.. and it gets deeper.

Stupid people, everytime one gets killed the I.Q. of the gene pool increases.

Most people on here say by thier posts it is allright for someone to post information that leads to the basic destruction of a childs parents home, neighbors, and child. Hell, lets just post animal-sex links on our pages too.

You can't protect everyone from everything, but you should guide children and non-adept people if possible to prevent self-destruction. YOU are your childrens keeper.

Comes right down to respect for others, others property, others lives. Knowing how to do something should not be regulated, children should. DO you know what your child is doing at this very minute? is he.her being educated by the mass-idiot box? Is that the favorite USA babysitter? I think so.

More dangerous concepts come through that idiot box than this fire starter kit.

I wonder how many people have been killed standing on the seat of thier harley since Indian Larry did? Pretty intense lesson..

Gary Busey? Yep, He says always wear your helmet.. Especially if you are going to pass a school bus and high-side into a curb. Rapid education.. flying free and stupid one minute on a stretcher the next.

spope14
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Tuckerfan, email me th link to the Tucker post

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-22-2005, 02:44 PM
How, how did I miss all of the fun here!

Building a flame thrower would have been one of the safer things I would have done as a kid.. I was too busy building and lighting off pipe bombs, or igniting gasoline in sealed containers. Picture this: 1 empty plastic milk jug (1 gallon) with a little bit of gasoline inside (~1 cup) and a broken 120v light bulb with filliment intact taped upsidedown through the milk-jug opening and sealed with tape.. Shake well so it's misty inside.. Place jug in middle of back yard lawn. Plug in lightbulb using a 100' extension cord. WOOOSSHHHHHH..

-Adrian

Evan
06-22-2005, 06:11 PM
All I'm going to say is that I had access to every chemical and element from A to Z in the store room of my fathers science lab. That included radionuclides. I'm not gonna say what I did with some of them.

I will say that throwing a one kilo block of metallic sodium in the San Francisco Bay at night is an impressive sight. I will also mention that back then you could order 100 ft of waterproof dynamite fuse by mail order for six bucks.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Yup, we used to buy around 20 feet of green waterproof fuse from K-mart for a couple of bucks. It was super high quality fuse sold as an accessory for the toy "cannon" you could also buy at K-Mart. I don't think you can buy toy cannons at K-Mart anymore. Or the green waterproof fuse either. All my super high power stuff I made was not ignited with a fuse anyway. I built a small charge inside of the main power charge and I used Estes solar ignitors (An accessory you could buy to ignight Estes model rocket engines).

Does anyone remember the toy cannon you could buy at Kame-Apart back in the early 80's?

-Adrian

andy_b
06-22-2005, 09:30 PM
my brother and i were always trying to build our own model rockets (well, rocket engines). we concocted a solid fuel formula one day and proceeded to stuff it in an aluminum pipe. what was that warning about launching rockets in open fields away from people and buildings? the heck with that, we launched stuff right from the driveway in front of the house.

anyway, back to the home-brew solid fuel. we stuffed in a rocket igniter and lit her off. well aluminum tubing and fire cement are a bit heavy to lift off, but it liquified a nice hole in the blacktop on the driveway. it must've been burning for almost 90 seconds. doesn't seem like long until you realized the aluminum was melting and slag was forming around the exhaust opening. we were waiting for it to form a plug on the exhaust and explode. Mom and Dad wouldn't have been to happy about that.

that's but one of many feats of foolishness. we never harmed other people or animals though, so our parents never really complained. could we have built a flamethrower? probably (if we came up with the plans).

i also knew a kid who burned half his grandparents' house down when he was FIVE. he spent a lot of time in juvenile detention. he probably would not be a good choice to build flamethrowers.

andy b.

chief
06-23-2005, 01:57 AM
None of you even know the kid's background,
he didn't learn about pipe thread from MTV,
maybe the kid is an undergrad at MIT. Too
many people here trying to tell everyone else what is wrong and right. Ibew aren't you the one living in a junkyard with hazmat all around, your shop doesn't look very safe, Looks dangerous, we better shut you down, do you think those moron's would have stolen your stuff had they known you had flame thrower and would use it? As long as he hurts no one but himself it isn't an issue.

hmhoek
06-23-2005, 02:02 AM
I'm a member of the Something Awful forums, where this was originally posted. I remember this thread from last summer; it must have had 300 responses. You all are getting way too bent out of shape about this. The guy who built the flamethower does not consider himself a badass nor does he have any ill intentions towards anyone. He's a legend on the forums for that thread. I'm not aware of any harm coming to him since making the flamethrower.

So he made the thing for the thrill of building something cool and to see if he could do it; big deal. This is what geeks do in their spare time http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-23-2005, 02:31 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:
As long as he hurts no one but himself it isn't an issue. </font>

I think the problem is, he hurt some egos. Personally, I was thinking he needs much more pressure and better fuel atomization, but others had completely different thoughts about it http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

Evan
06-23-2005, 02:42 AM
A few of the more interesting combinations:

Iodine crystals and ammonia
Aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate
Glycerine and postassium permanganate
KNO3 and many things

Yep, I used electric igniters and built a small brick bunker in the back field for testing new designs.

ibewgypsie
06-23-2005, 05:09 AM
I went to a friends funeral on Wednesday.

Believe me, dying hurts a lot more people than yourself. Lots of old people there. I kept waiting on there being more than one funeral.

In the end? We all grabbed shovels and filled in the hole.

David

BillH
06-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, something here just happened locally, involved a kid and no, he didnt have a flame thrower. Some kid stole a cessna from the local airport and flew around for a few hours with 2 16 year olds in the back, then landed 4 in the morning at a closed airport that was getting repairs done, he landed right on the taxiing strip. Security car pulls up, opens the door and bunch of beer cans fall right out of the airplane.
Well, what bothers me is the stupid politicians, Danbury Municipal airport has horrible security, BLAH BLAH BLAH, WE need to fix this, BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Geez, I Guess I cant go there no more and take pictures of the airplanes for photo class, that would make me a terrorist.

Wirecutter
06-23-2005, 12:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
Yup, we used to buy around 20 feet of green waterproof fuse from K-mart for a couple of bucks. It was super high quality fuse sold as an accessory for the toy "cannon" you could also buy at K-Mart. I don't think you can buy toy cannons at K-Mart anymore. Or the green waterproof fuse either. All my super high power stuff I made was not ignited with a fuse anyway. I built a small charge inside of the main power charge and I used Estes solar ignitors (An accessory you could buy to ignight Estes model rocket engines).

Does anyone remember the toy cannon you could buy at Kame-Apart back in the early 80's?

-Adrian</font>

Ha ha. I was going to keep quiet about my model-rocket-engine bombs. Adrian, someday I'd like to meet you and swap stories. I did a variant of the milkjug thing, too, but I buried mine about 3' deep with a post hole digger, and I used the Estes electric ignitors instead of a light bulb. It made a lot of noise, it rained dirt, it scared the hell out of me, it made me smile. That was actually my last one. I had a friend in school who once make evil devices with potassium nitrate and table suger - pipe bombs that smelled like doughnuts.
OTOH, there was a kid lived about a mile away from me in middle school - he was building pipe bombs fueled with blue tipped matches. He was packing it with a hammer. I think he was blinded and lost a hand and some fingers.
I am so glad I (mostly http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif ) stopped doing that stuff before I got hurt or actually realized how dangerous it was...

-M

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Yup, one of the easiest things we used to make were smoke bombs. I remember buying a huge bag of potassium nitrate (Saltpeter) at the super market. I think I remember one of my smarter friends telling me it was only about 70% potassium nitrate but it was good enough. We used to mix the potassium nitrate with sugar and then heat it up on my mom's stove until it liquidified. I would mix it up and pour it into something and stick a fuse in it before it solidified again... When the potassium nitrate and sugar started burning, it would give off bellows of smoke.. I still can almost taste the smell. It was a sweet smell, but had some pungent odor to it as well.

Back in the early 80's I ran my own custom BBS system on an Apple ][ computer. Most of my friends were into computers as well. I had a file section on my BBS containing text files that people could upload and download. I also had file sections for games that I cracked and "couriers" would call into my BBS and download the latest game(s) I cracked and upload them to other BBS but that's another story. Anyway, most of the "elite" BBS systems had an "Anarchy" text file section. Almost all of the files everyone used to upload/download are still available and you can see them here:

http://www.textfiles.com/anarchy/

Keep in mind that we were reading those text files back in the early 80's when very few people had computers. And even fewer had modems, and even fewer were uploading/downloading Anarchy text files so we felt like we were in our own underground world back then.

-Adrian

BillH
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Ah the Anarchy text files, anyone in my middle school class who had those were automatically bad ass and cool.
IT was the reason my friend went out and bought a hot plate. I remember one text in there about an aspirin bomb, some nasty chemical warfare.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 06-23-2005).]

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 06-23-2005).]

Toolbert
06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Here's a home-made fuel-air bomb. I want to know what happened to the guy who lit it.

http://www.StupidVideos.com/?VideoID=988

I figure that web site gets the ones AFV rejects, because the stars don't get up and walk away.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Here is something that I can actually suggest everyone try making if you haven't already made 100's of them when you were a kid:

If you're under the age of 13, or your over the age of 65, please seek adult supervision beforehand http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://www.jamesyawn.com/micro/matchrocket5.jpg

-Adrian

Evan
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Keep your pets away from the fireworks...

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/390/

No smoking when making fireworks...

http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/funnypic426.htm

BillH
06-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Used to take pencils, sharpen both ends and attach them to household current, hit the switch and watch the pencils burst into flames from the inside out. One kid took it a step further and poured gasoline all around the pencil. Started when I heard people used to do this with old Lead pencils, said they would explode. Hmm, only get combustion with the graphite ones.

Wirecutter
06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Used to take pencils, sharpen both ends and attach them to household current, hit the switch and watch the pencils burst into flames from the inside out. </font>

I once heard that in certain correctional institutions in Virginia, this is known as "popping the socket". It is a technique for lighting cigarettes, joints, mattresses, etc when one has no matches. Hey, it wasn't me.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Although hardly worthy of calling them fireworks, we got some this year. They don't sell the stuff they used to, that's for sure!

http://www.bbssystem.com/fireworks.jpg

-Adrian

x39
06-23-2005, 09:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
:

Iodine crystals and ammonia
.</font>
Ah yes, good old ammonium tri-iodide. Quite entertaining, sometimes whether you want it to be or not.

wierdscience
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Although hardly worthy of calling them fireworks, we got some this year. They don't sell the stuff they used to, that's for sure!

-Adrian</font>

Ha,never understood fireworks stands,the more you buy the cheaper they get.Seems like $5 could buy the whole stand http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Last year I took a gallon coffe can and stuffed it full of bottle rockets,I forget how many gross it took,it looked like a porcupine.I lit the torch ajusted for a long loose flame ,waved it under the fuses and ran! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif,sticks all over the place,pets terrified,nieghbors worried,it was great http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

BillH
06-23-2005, 10:40 PM
One of the most memoriable days of my entire childhood was when the bottom drawr of my dresser was loaded with real M-80's and block busters, and tons of bottle rockets.
The way I felt, well.. Today it would be like digging a hole in your yard and uncovering a tommy gun that your grandpa buried as a time capsule from the 1920's in original condition with no rust. Yes, I got quite an imagination.

3 Phase Lightbulb
06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
Ha,never understood fireworks stands,the more you buy the cheaper they get.Seems like $5 could buy the whole stand http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Last year I took a gallon coffe can and stuffed it full of bottle rockets,I forget how many gross it took,it looked like a porcupine.I lit the torch ajusted for a long loose flame ,waved it under the fuses and ran! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif,sticks all over the place,pets terrified,nieghbors worried,it was great http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

</font>

That's funny because I did the same thing. The most I tried to light was one gross. It's hard to light them all so you really have to just stay there with the propane torch as they are going off in a longer row. All you need for protection is a pair of eye googles. Except for the few that are defective and just explode without any thrust, you would have been fine staying there while they went off. We used to launch bottle rockets from our hands. I've even just held onto them until the report sometimes. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Adrian

BillH
06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
I usually put them in a pvc tube over my shoulder and pretended I was shooting a Stinger missile.

Timewarp
06-26-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/rt.php

mochinist
06-26-2005, 04:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Timewarp:
http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/rt.php</font>

ANybody else notice this kid recomends using lots and lots of teflon tape on the pipe fittings. I was taught that one layer overlapping itself was all that was needed on pipe fittings, reason being that you could rupture the female fitting because of the increase in diameter of the male fitting.

spope14
06-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Pop bottle rockets!!!!yeah...when I was young and not as wisened by experience as I am now, a friend of mine and I bought quite a few of these and went on a town drive. Large city, we had probably 2 gross - littl stick cheapos. Lot of fun - Lighting them off, putting them out the car window or out the moon roof, let them go, drive off "Bam". We were not trouble makers, just something a bit stupid for a night.....

Seems the police got wind of us after about 20 - 30 of these. Yup....there we were at a stop light, nobody around, lit two up, friend and I. Police car pulls right beside us - seems he was a bit behind us sneaking up...watching, lights off, just waiting. We were too intent on the bangs, and way to confident at that point......

Idiot kids we were, saw the policeman right as the fuses started......we pulled them back in, rolled up the windows as fast as we could - which was not fast enough.....and not fast enough to get the fuses stopped, which was futile anyway..... they lit off...zingo, zammo, ping snap - all around the inside of the car, richhotteing about, then Bang - Bang.....Car all filled wih smoke, paper flying about, Never figure out how we did not get hurt but for both diving and ducking.

Figured we were in for quite a lecture, tickets, maybe even a ride to the local pokey. Instead, the policeman just smiled, laughed a bit, shook his head, said something (we were a bit deaf so we missed it, and the windows were at 3/4 up, and the car was a smoke hole) waved, and drove off. He was a friend of my fathers (also a local Policeman at the time), heard later that he figured we learned our lesson. He talked about it to me a few years later, about sneaking up, knowing who we were, wanting to put a scare into us, being a friend of pa, and us just being harmless all said and done..... said it was the highlight of his career, and wished video was around for it.....

Funny thing though, my fathers friends in the PD never missed a "shot" at reminding us two kids about this.......

Evan
06-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Me and buddy were driving down the hiway one fine afternoon. We were in my rusted out Morris Minor. It had a handy hole in the passenger side floorboard. Brian was driving and I was lighting M80s and dropping them out the hole in the floor. The fuse was just long enough for them to go off under the car following us. It was a hoot to see how many drivers we could get to pull over to try and figure out what the heck just happened.

I lit one more and dropped it in the hole. But, it didn't quite make it and rolled under the seat instead. BLAM!!! Instantly we were both completely deaf. I turned to Brian and could see his mouth moving but couldn't hear a sound. It was the quietest few minutes of my life. It took about half an hour for some semblance of normal hearing to return. I sort of figured we would be OK since I didn't see any blood running out of our ears.

RolandTower
08-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Hay guys, I'm the flamethrower kid. Someone sent me a link to this thread, and I just wanted to hopefully ease some minds.

First of all to address the safety of the device:

1) I switched to pressurizing with nitrogen, so the tank is inert. I originally posted all the stuff on that website on another online forum (I'm in no way involved with the site linked in the original post, they mirrored the forum post without my permission). Anyhow, I noted that using compressed air was a bad decision in my forums post, that website in the original post just never included any of my later additions.

2)I ran the device at around 95 PSI, and shut off the valve as soon as ANY aerosol started coming out, so there was never a chance for the flame to back up the hose.

3)I had a check valve installed halfway down the hose to prevent flashback.

4)I only fired the device over asphalt, or over healthy grass that had been thoroughly wet down with a hose. I also had a friend nearby with a fire extinguisher.

So in short, I did my best to prevent injury and risk to others.

Secondly, I'd like to clear some things up about my writing style when I was talking about the flamethrower. The forum I originally posted the images and discussion on (forums.somethingawful.com) is known for having a hold-nothing-sacred, generally dark sense of humor. Everything I wrote about my flamethrower was tongue-in-cheek, and intended to be somewhat self-deprecating. I have no illusions that I'm a total badass, and was poking fun of that fact by using deliberately exaggerated bravado. I've since realized that it sounds a lot worse out of context...My uncle actually called me upon reading the thread, concerned that I was suicidal due to the comment about my obituary being amusing. I had to assure him that I was perfectly healthy, and just trying to make fun of how foolish most people would see my project as being.

Anyhow, since building the flamethrower, I've been too involved with college to use it much at all. I'm going to Penn State, and majoring in chemical engineering, so I keep busy. This past summer, I chose to do research with a professor and take a summer class, so I had no time to try and top my own stupidity in the PVC arts. I’ve gotten quite a few e-mails about the flamethrower, but thus far none indicating that anyone’s gotten injured. One fellow from New Zealand actually significantly one-upped me, creating a flamethrower out of a used fire extinguisher (oh the irony) that was capable of using petrol for fuel.

So I guess if anyone has any questions, or wants to chew me out for being an asshat, go ahead.

(Also, I'm going to indulge in a little bragging here, if anyone has the April 2005 edition of Maxim magazine, there's a half-page article on my flamethrower on page 40)

IOWOLF
08-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Yea right, and I have some ocean front property in Iowa.
We have all been kids and done simular stupid things without thinking of safety,I doubt you thought about it either.

I hope you channel your creativity well in your future .

IMHO

topct
08-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Roland thanks for your response. Yes you really got em going here. Ignore Iowolf, for the most part you reminded a lot of us of our own adventures and funtimes we had and in some cases still do.

------------------
Gene

andy_b
08-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Roland,

wow, a fellow Penn Stater. i may be out in the State College area over Labor Day weekend. if so, i'll keep an eye out for scorched patches of grass.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

good luck with your education.

andy b.

tattoomike68
08-01-2005, 11:55 AM
thanks roland, that cool you wrote me back and setting the record strait here.

good luck in school.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1107178&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Wirecutter
08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RolandTower:
Anyhow, since building the flamethrower, I've been too involved with college to use it much at all.</font>

Roland -
First, it would sound much better if you said "demonstrate" it, rather than use it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Second, it's a bit reassuring that you've been saturated with school. ChemE is not exactly the "college life of leisure", from what I hear. Go for it.

Speaking only for myself, I'd have to say that probably the most worrisome thing about your device is the thought of copycats. (Not that I lost any sleep, mind you...) It takes less smarts to try and copy such a design, and I can just imagine the local Beevis and Butthead attempting such a thing and burning themselves (or someone else) to a crisp.

(The image comes to mind of maybe a JackAss episode, or one of the Vonage ads that have been on US television lately, featuring people doing stupid or dangerous things.)

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I'd like to play with an O/A setup that could fire a 40 foot 5000+ deg Neutral flame.. You could cut a bus in half, or turn a tree into carbon in a few seconds, or walk up to a steel building and cut a 10' diameter hole in a few seconds http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://bbssystem.com/images/smiles/newsmile_violent5.gif

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 08-01-2005).]

Wirecutter
08-01-2005, 06:56 PM
I'd like to play with an O/A setup that could fire a 40 foot 5000+ deg Neutral flame.. You could cut a bus in half, or turn a tree into carbon in a few seconds, or walk up to a steel building and cut a 10' diameter hole in a few seconds http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
</font>

Aw hell, Adrian. Why not skip all that messy flame and fuel? Just modify your PVC spud cannon to fire sticks of dynamite. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

wierdscience
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM

http://bbssystem.com/images/smiles/newsmile_violent5.gif

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 08-01-2005).]</font>

Yep,in addition to that it would empty your pockets pretty quick too http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif