PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Drawbar actuator

Stillgot10
08-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I’m currently considering buying a Kurt ‘Mechanical’ drawbar actuator for my mill. Unless I’m confused, the unit seems to be manually operated as opposed to the pneumatic Kurt model. Does anyone have any experience with this variant? Are they effective and reliable? How do they work?

I’m reluctant to go with a pneumatic model since my mill is in my garage, in a very residential area. If I start making all kinds of air wrench noises before 10:00 AM, the neighbors are going to break out the tar and feathers. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Forrest Addy
08-05-2005, 11:21 AM
The Kurt (and the clones I've heard) is barely audible when run with the cover on. It would take a real fussy sleeper to be bothered by a power draw-bar operating every few minutes through two walls and a hundred feet even on a quiet night.

In case you don't know these air operated power drwabars use a 3/8 drive impact driver as the 'renchin' part. In the open air they can be a trifle noisly but under that sheet metal hat stuffed with foam sound deadener I'm sure you'll have no trouble with the neighbors even in the small hours.

Paul Alciatore
08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
But Forrest, what about the compressor noise? Or do you have any recomendations for a silent one?

Paul A.

Forrest Addy
08-05-2005, 11:56 AM
There's no cure for an oilless compressor noise but a sound proof box.

An oil lubricated compressor's noise is about 90% from the air inlet. Plumb the air inlet to the center of a new unused screw-on oil filter (Ford filters fit 3/8 IPS pipe threads I think, but check it before you buy).

Regardless, if you want a silent shop you're stuck at the outset. Some operations can be noisy.

I think you'll find your neighbors can be accommodating once your shop skills have saved the rusted out boat trailer and other needful things of cost savings and convenience. I once patched up the neighborhood grouch's outboard lower unit and he paid off in steelhead salmon every season for 15 years until he had to go into a nursing home.

Stillgot10
08-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Forrest, your answer is rather encouraging. My compressor runs (relatively) quiet enough that I would not feel too bad about running it between 7 am to 10 pm. I had just assumed that the impact wrench within the drawbar device would make my place sound like a tire store at its busiest.

I still hope to figure out this manual gizmo so that I can judge my options, but the pneumatic rigs do seem nice. Price aside, of course… Thanks!