PDA

View Full Version : Machinist's urn ?

nheng
08-05-2005, 09:20 PM
My wife and her sisters are working on estate planning for my father in law which includes funeral arrangements in advance due to some specific donations of medical samples which are time critical.

Out of respect for his life as a machinist, I suggested a cremation urn machined (welded up and finish machined) from an appropriate stainless steel. It was met with an enthusiastic response.

Have any of you ever heard of or created such a thing for others? Den

Forrest Addy
08-06-2005, 12:02 AM
That's what my Dad is buried in. Be sure it has sufficient internal volume.

egpace
08-06-2005, 12:24 AM
That would be a great tribute and a wonderful gesture! It's well worth the effort, I hope you find the info you need. Anybody out there with ideas?
Ed

chief
08-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Perhaps some custom engraving or relief on it?

Frank Ford
08-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Appropriate, indeed!

My wife has been a full time professional potter for the last three and half decades and about once a year she's asked to make urns for loved ones' ashes. Her most recent one is on its way to Japan with her friend's father-in-law's remains. While she "never" does custom work, these urns are a distinct exception, with the family calling the shots.

Personally, I hope to be regarded well enough that when my time comes, folks will ponder that same question. . .

Toolmaker Extrodinair
08-06-2005, 06:08 AM
when I started my shop, was approached to make one out of solid bronze. price was too high so never went through with it.

IOWOLF
08-06-2005, 06:17 AM
My mother in laws urn was normal, but the vault was bright T/P aluminumand I made it myself lined with blue crushed velvet.It went over well with the family since a cheap vault cost $500.00.

Ries
08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I know a girl who makes custom metal urns for deceased pets-
http://www.custompeturns.com/
If he was funny looking enough maybe she would do one for you. (just kidding)
I have another wacky friend who makes urns from clay using real ground up bones for the clay body-
http://www.antiquesatoz.com/artatoz/krafft/funerary.htm

But turning a stainless urn does seem like a natural.
I made a copper reliquary for the ashes of a couple that died on that Alaska airlines crash off Santa Barbara a few years ago- it was a copper box, engraved, shaped, and welded, which holds the urns with their remains in it. The copper box is part of an outdoor shrine that one of their parents built- a little deck, overlooking the ocean, in the trees, with an a copper arch I made, stained glass by the woman's mother, a small planter box of flowers, and a bench. Its a very touching and beautiful spot, which walkers and passerby often sit in and contemplate the view, and of course the parents visit almost daily and think of their lost daughter.
It was a pretty emotional metalworking project for me, and the guys who worked for me, and we all were honored to be involved in it. And when I got paid, it was from Alaska Airlines- seems that most of the settlement checks went to funeral homes, but my client had Alaska pay me.

nheng
08-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll have to examine standard urns and derive some dimensions from them.

Does anyone know if the urns are typically sealed against the environment?

Weston Bye
08-06-2005, 12:19 PM
My plan was to make a nice mold with my name and birthdate and a kit of numbers to be added at the last minute for the date of death, all in reverse on the inside of the mold. Also, useful sayings, advice, illustrations & etc.
When my time came, my ashes would be mixed up in a batch of concrete and dumped in the mold. I would remain useful as a doorstop, large paperweight or to block up the Chevy in the yard.

The wife and kids wouldn't go for it. Something about too heavy a burden to lug around or pass down. So much for immortality. Thought the ideas might have commercial potential.

Wes

Paul Gauthier
08-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Excellent Idea, one I have contemplated myself, hadn't thought about stainless tho. Be sure to get us some pics.

------------------
Paul G.

winchman
08-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Why not get a small aluminum tank for a Scott AirPak? They are about the same size as the cremation urns I've seen, and they have a flat bottom.

Sometimes they are rejected for various reasons, and cannot be refilled. Whoever does the refilling in your area might give you one for scrap value. I got several slightly damaged ones from a volunteer fireman. I cut them into rings to make parts for my winch drums.

They are made of a high strength aluminum which machines easily to a beautiful finish. There's plenty of material there for some clean-up cuts.

I'll see if I can find a photo of one.

Here you go:
http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/PDFs/FireServiceCatalog.pdf

Scroll down to pages 17 thru 19 of the catalog.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 08-06-2005).]

John Lawson
08-06-2005, 03:46 PM
How about an urn compartment in a hydrogen bomb? One sure way to return to the cosmos, and very satisfying if it is dropped on the goldanged Chinamen who commited unspeakable atrocities during the Korean war.

PeteM
08-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I recently came across a large hunk of titanium -- couldn't figure out what to do with it. This gives an idea.

SGW
08-06-2005, 06:07 PM
If you're contemplating burying it in a cemetery, check to be sure there aren't any weird regulations about what is "acceptable." Shouldn't be a problem, but you never know. There may at least be size requirements.

BillB
08-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Oddly enough, I was talking to a sculptor/blacksmith/metalworking junkie friend today. Said his latest project is an urn to contain the ashes of an old friend (40 yrs.) who died recently, leaving no survivors or family members. He's planning to keep the urn in his shop -- "Most of the time when he was alive, he was hanging around the shop anyway".

True story. I can't imagine a more appropriate tribute.

WB

[This message has been edited by BillB (edited 08-06-2005).]