PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm New Here and need advice

DDWELD
08-06-2005, 10:50 PM
I do apportable welding and repair for the Ag industry. I would like to buy a small lathe and mill for my business. Like a 14 x 40 or so. I have been looking at smithy and grizzly. Are these machines of good quality or not? I appreciate any advice at all. Thanks, Dan P.S. would prefer separate machines or even would consider other brand.

[This message has been edited by DDWELD (edited 08-06-2005).]

BillH
08-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi, and welcome, if you do a search, you will be over whelmed of the answers for that question. I think the general consensus is that if space is not an issue then stay away from the 3 in 1 machines and go with seperate machines. A few people here have Grizzleys and Smithys.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 08-06-2005).]

J Tiers
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Smithy seems to be a small off-brand, with limited support, and IIRC, not very co-operative.

Grizzly has several big warehouses, good support, and is a large, stable company 20+ years old. I have met the owner and one of his sons, and they seem decent folks. We had their stuff (woodworking) at work, and it was fine.

That said, I have sent everything I bought from them back, but I didn't buy any machines, just smaller accessory stuff that was defective (precision level & height gage). They paid shipping to return the defective goods, and refunded the original shiping, which was classy of them. Enco didn't do that.... doubt Smithy would either, frankly.

cntryboy1289
08-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Smithy has been a breeze to work with so far for me. If I have a question, I just call and ask and they take care of what the problem is. The thing is, I only had one problem so far and that was because of the delivery guy forgot to unload a package where he dropped the lathe off at for me. Smithy took care of it without a hitch. A lot of folks think they are el cheapo and they may end up being that, but mine is running fine so far and hasn't had a problem yet. The casting is good and the machine is heavy enough to not have any vibration.

tattoomike68
08-07-2005, 12:16 AM
I have a smithy and its not for ag work , its more for the home hobbie folks. it runs great and I have alot of fun with it but would not want to make a living with it doing ag work.

I like this mill. it's big enough for farm work. with the longer ram head.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G9903

I like this lathe in the 14x40 range.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0554
It will work fine for spindles,boring sprockets,building weld in hubs and bushings,pullys , but is too short for some drive line work.

I think thats a good deal for under $10,000.

good luck.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 08-07-2005).]