PDA

View Full Version : Neat find or How stupid we have become....

tankdriver
08-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I was at my self storage room and went to the dumpster. I found where someone had thrown away a 1943 Edition of 'Machinery's Handbook' 11th edition. According to the books title page, "A referance book for the mechanical engineer, draftsman, toolmaker, and machinist." This thing is 1800 pages of mathmatical formulas and tables. Chapters include "Principal Patent Law Regulations", an even "Manufacturing Plant Appraisal" I spent 2 hours looking at this thing and releazied how really stupid we (well me anway) have become. For a Machinist with a High School, maybe, education to be able to work the equactions in this thing is amazing. Computers have REALLY dumbed us down.... It gives all the stress loads of different timber, different types beams, Failure of rivited joints. You name it it is in there. Now if I can just find my old slide rule.... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tankdriver (edited 08-06-2005).]

BillH
08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
IT had no reference to G code, GEEZ, no good with out Gcode... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

wierdscience
08-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I've said it before,the old heads have forgot more than we now know.

dicks42000
08-07-2005, 06:56 AM
The old heads & hands often have forgotten more than we younger folks know...even us who are both jouneymen tradesmen & who have a degree...Hence the reason for a place like this to ask & learn....
Rick

J Tiers
08-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Well, some things are forgotten for reasons. And nobody can know everything.

Can you imagine the "even older timers" comments.....

"What dummies... most of them don't even know how to make a flint arrowpoint"

"What a dummy... calls himself a workman, and don't know how to fit a wagon tire"

""THAT guy a welder? I'll bet he doesn't even know when its hot enough to hammer"

wierdscience
08-07-2005, 10:02 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J Tiers:
Well, some things are forgotten for reasons. And nobody can know everything.

Can you imagine the "even older timers" comments.....

"What dummies... most of them don't even know how to make a flint arrowpoint"

"What a dummy... calls himself a workman, and don't know how to fit a wagon tire"

""THAT guy a welder? I'll bet he doesn't even know when its hot enough to hammer"</font>

Yabut my boss thought I was nuts when I built up the stripped end of our b-port drawbar,heated it to forging temp and forged it round on an anvil.I turned and threaded it.Guess what?It has lasted longer than all of the factory drawbars.

crossthreaded
08-07-2005, 11:24 PM
I used to hear that "Factory" folks were too limited to learn calculus. This after reading things like machinery's handbook that had the same folks working with sectors of circles, rates of change, involutes & all those neat things chip makers do to turn out REAL hardware. They just didn't derive it on the blackboard first; obviously a sign of poor breeding & undersized craniums.