PDA

View Full Version : OT SHOP HEAT

electromotive17
08-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Winter is on its way can members share their shop heat methods with others(waste oil solar etc) the increase in energy prices is huge any ideas on home built systems you may have am sure other members would be interested if you can share ideas.

------------------

mm curvin

IOWOLF
08-08-2005, 05:43 AM
THIS THREAD COMES UP EVERY FALL. search the archives.

BTW. I use wood,solar, and propane as a last resort.My shop has spray on,fire resistant, insulation.I can heat it with a meal of beans.

laddy
08-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Hey,
Last year I ran a natural gas line from the kitchen to my garage. I have a flexible umbilical which attaches to a mobile gas stand-alone heater. I can fire it up and in half an hour be hot. It has a thermostat so it can be adjusted. Then it is stored out of the way for the summer. Wish it had done it 30 years ago. Works super. Fred

C - ROSS
08-08-2005, 07:42 AM
I use a 400,000 btu propane space heater to
knock the frost off, and then just tough it out from there. More clothes will help. It also helps to do my welding and metal casting in the mornings.

Ross

Your Old Dog
08-08-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm using wood stove up here in Buffalo area but it only works really well on weekends when I can fire up in morning and spend the day out there. Getting home at 5pm and then fireing up don't leave much quality shop time with heat! I hope to run a Nat gas line someday to the shop so I can call home, tell SWMBO my plans to work in the shop and have her flip the switch. If that happens I'll be looking for a small used Reznor heater. Shop has 6" insulation in it but the windows (old barn) are still a weak point in energy conservation. As I have air conditioner and don't need to open them, I figured on one day nailing a glass panel over them on the inside for stop drafts and offer a small degree of insulation. The idea worked on my old shop pretty well.

pgmrdan
08-08-2005, 07:54 AM
My workshop-to-be will be on the smallish side compared to a lot of the people here. Don't laugh too hard but I plan on using a woodstove. I'll have plenty of wood available to me though.

Wood heats twice; once when you cut it and again when you burn it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

webbch
08-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I'll put on a long-sleeved shirt for heat if I'm not gonna be working very hard, otherwise short sleeves are sufficient -- Tucson, AZ :-)

Michael Az
08-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Portable propane heater to knock the chill off in the mornings.
Michael

bob308
08-08-2005, 08:43 AM
i use a portable kerosene heater 100,000 btu it heats up fast and you point it where yopu need it. but with the price of kero up i mat have to go to a coal stove. i want to use a wast oil when i get the new shop done.

Weston Bye
08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I installed an unvented wall-mount propane heater in my shop. Worked great at heating, but added humidity and traces of other combustion products to the air. None of these were hazardous as the shop had enough fresh air exchange. However, over time everything in the shop accumulated a film of the stuff and rust or oxidation is evident on some tools and parts. Certain plastics discolored also. I suspect that the same thing may happen with any open flame unvented type of heat; kerosene natural gas or propane.

dfeeney
08-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Looking to do the same here in Maine. I am thinking of going with a MR Heater 100,000 BTU propane heater. Very reasonable price and easy to install, has a thermostat and vent free.

Any other recommendations welcome as well.

Dan

Your Old Dog
08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Michael Az, get a little cold down there in Arizona? I'll bet the thermometer must plummet all the way down to 70 degrees now and then ! If you make it to my shop in winter you better be wearing a really good shirt if my woodburner ain't perkin!

ray........buffalo, NY http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Evan
08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Ray,

In winter in Arizona it can get freekin cold. That desert doesn't hold the heat. I have seen it at 20 degrees F with a dusting of snow on the ground.

kc5ezc
08-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I used to use a 90,000 BTU Reznor in my shop. Steel building, no insulation. Fire it up and equipment and I got warm fast. Then when it was turned off the humidity came in and rusted everything. My propane Reznor needs a good home.

------------------
John Burchett
in Ada OK

Tinkerer
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
In my small machine shop 16x20 I have a oil filled electric radiant heater that I keep sent on anti freeze at night. When in there working I toss off enough heat as to require nothing more then low setting... insulated out the wahzoo. The weld shop 32x32 has a torpedo heater.... radiant kerosene and a Mr. Heater.

halac
08-08-2005, 05:43 PM
As long as I keep the doors and windows closed, I get enough solar gain to heat up my shop in the winter. Sometimes gotta open a window or door to cool off.

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com (http://www.teampyramid.com)

CCWKen
08-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I just open the doors and let the stinking heat in. Winter down here lasts from Jan. 20 to Feb. 10.

Michael Az
08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Ray, you are pretty close. We can get down to 65* in the winter. Where I live it will usually be in the 30's at nite but the days are nice and warm. I use a wood stove in the house at nite but no heat needed during the daytime.
Michael

madman
08-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Built a waste oil heater. what a beast. Heated 3000 square feet fir two years. Had stinky oil some black venomous smoke and so on. I now use a plug in 220 volt heater and plug it in when its cold. Toyomatic heaters sound excellant check them out easy install and very efficient and reliable. Hope this helps you out.

IOWOLF
08-09-2005, 12:56 PM
There is the guy who put tubes in his floor and a nissan diesel engine out side the house /shop ran a 3ph generator ,air compressor, and used the engine to heat the floor in the winter. hot water heater, and so on. He was useing the exhaust for even more heat through the water in a st. steel tank.I believe he was off grid though,He was useing red (off road)fuel when it was much cheaper. I wish I could do that from methane from the neibors hog farm.