PDA

View Full Version : On three Jaw & other chucks

Norman Warfield
08-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I spent around 14 years in various machine shops before I finaly did choose a better (for me) career. I learned a few things the old way and a few things the new way.(C.N.C. was just becoming well established)

However; in that entire time I never had the occasion to open up a lathe chuck. I now have a small shop of my own (just built)it,I decided to clean one of my three jaw chucks, a little vintage beauty 5" logan from way back.

It had developed a slight sticky spot and I had never given it a thought until I started reading here and in the model Engineering forum. I took it apart and was amazed of the chips and petrified grease along with a large portion of could have at one time been oil....But no cast iron! Powers that be; thank you.

It always worked well and I never thought of cleaning it out. I will say this, I will be cleaning chucks regularly from this time on.

I put that little gem back together and I could not beleive the change in it. It worked smooth as oil on ice and ran a little less than .001 T.I.R.

I have seven chucks and the rest will now get that same attention. And now... on to what ever else that could hide a mutitude of sins and clean them out.

It's nice to find this information and be reminded that there are things that must be done along with the building and setting up of even a small shop like mine.

------------------
Norm'
If it isn't broken, why do I keep trying to fix it??

CCWKen
08-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Glad to see you've gained some useful information from the forum. When used on/with cast iron or after TP grinding, I clean the chuck after each use. All my chucks get cleaned 2-4 times a year but I don't do a lot of lathe work. A clean scroll can make a huge difference in runout.