PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a high pressure washer

pasofino
08-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I need some advice on my high pressure washer. The water comes out under high pressure for about 10 seconds then stops for about 10 secs and then starts again meanwhile the motor is running full force. What should I take apart first?

BillH
08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
You have enough water running to the pressure washer?

Ian B
08-07-2005, 12:48 PM
As Bill says, the flow to the suction probably isn't high enough. Try a shorter hose, or one of larger diameter, or get nearer to the mains supply.

Ian

Your Old Dog
08-07-2005, 12:53 PM
If you're a country boy living off well water with gas that could be your problem. We got air in our system and it plays hell with the power washer sometimes.

And again, the hose length if you have marginal water pressure. I think most if not all pw's have a pressure switch to assure that water is on before burning out the pump.

Maybe someone should start a new thread. What's the most bazarre thing you washed with your power washer and did it hurt? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

CCWKen
08-07-2005, 06:47 PM
It sounds like you have air in the water supply line (hose). Bleed the air out before running.

Bond
08-07-2005, 10:42 PM
How old is your pump. Sounds like what the one I had,until the pump went out. In the end 1 broke rod,all 3 pistons shot.

C - ROSS
08-08-2005, 08:06 AM
I used mine, connected to a faulty frost free
hydrant. Sucked sand through the pump. Soon it will become a dead man in the fence line.

Ross

DBW
08-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Speaking of sand in a presure washer, does anybody out there in HSM land know how to introduce sand in the high a presure water stream to make a water sand blaster? A drawing or picture would be a great help.
Thanks for any info,
Don

------------------

Ian B
08-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Karcher sell a kit for it, basically it's a venturi that has a suction line to a sand reservoir. The nozzle's usually carbide or similar. Here's a picture of one:
http://store.yahoo.com/ekimco/arsanblaskit.html

Never tried one - I can see the sand feed line blocking up...

Ian

Ian B
08-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Here's Karcher's kit:
http://www.karcher.ca/CCE/HD%20-%20HDS%20Web%20Pages/Features/Sand%20Blast%20Page.html

Ian

Bond
08-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I have used a sand blaster with a pressure washer,they work great. Did not have any trouble with pluging up.

Ian B
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Bond,

Good to hear from someone who's used one.

What were you blasting, and what kind of removal rates did you get? A bit about the pressure and flowrate of your washer would be useful - I've been looking at getting one, and wondering how they perform.

Does the sand need to be bone dry, or does it somehow pump water into the sand reservoir and suck a slurry into the nozzle?

I'm thinking back to the discussion thread on the home blasting pots that go on air compressors, and the abysmal performance that they apparently give.

Thanks,

Ian

David/toledo
08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
They work fairly well. Dont Have any time figure. Dont Forget that you will have flash rusting on steel with one. They can realy go through the sand and got to keep it DRY.
David

gizmo2
08-09-2005, 09:20 PM
my Karchner did this sometimes, I think it was cavitation. My solution was to buy a bigger hose and turn the hydrant all the way up. On a pump/well here too, and it keeps up ok now.

Bond
08-09-2005, 09:53 PM
The pressure washer I used was 4000 psi. and used to clean paint off a dock that was being restriped.Forgot how long but went fast. The sand is sucked up like a small sand blaster,at end of your wand. Sand has to be dry.If you have any ? email me