PDA

View Full Version : Kearney and Trecker

megpa
08-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi all:

I am looking for parts for a K&T 2hl horizontal milling machine.. All help appreciated.. Thanks; M. goleman

------------------

Wirecutter
08-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I have an old K&T rotary table I'd also like to find info on, but when I tried oh-so-many-months ago, I had no luck with an internet search. So I'd also be interested in where to get info on K&T stuff.

-Mark

megpa
08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey Mark: I have info on those.. What do you need? Mike.. megpa@cox.net

------------------

beckley23
08-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Looking for K&T parts;
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013413
Harry

Stillgot10
08-06-2005, 06:39 AM
I have had success getting parts for my 2CH K&T from the folks at LL Richards Machinery in Wisconsin. That would be llrichards.com on the web.

RD51
08-09-2005, 08:20 AM
megpa,I can probably help you with your 2HL parts.I sent you an email but as yet haven't recieved a response.I've tried them all with the exception of the one Harry mentioned and they are extremely high priced.I'm not in the parts business but I haved helped many others with their K&Ts and I have quite a liking,as well as knowledge,for these older machines.

Wirecutter
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
megpa -
You mentioned elsewhere that you're looking for a drive gear for your universal milling head. Can you post model numbers and/or gear specs? I'd bet that someone here can help with specifics. Hell, maybe someone here can help you to make one or have one made?

-Mark

sauer38h
08-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I've been looking at K&Ts, and must admit I can't figure out the nomenclature. Not long ago I was looking at a 2H horizontal. Later I saw 2CH, 2CK, and 2T horizontals which I couldn't easily distinguish from the 2H, or from each other. But it gets worse - I've also seen a 2CH which was definitely a dedicated vertical (not a horizontal with the K&T vertical head tacked on).

So, can someone clue me in to the secret K&T model designation system?

megpa
08-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Kearney and Trecker made fine machinetools for many many years.. There are many types whether it be knee type horizontal,universal horizontal, bed type, vertical type etc etc...

The attachments get just as confusing as there are many and fit different machines for different machining processes...

I have a rotary tool and die mill model 2d and there again many attachments were available for it..

I have lots of breakdowns on different older models and would be happy to share...

Mike

------------------

beckley23
08-09-2005, 05:49 PM
The fellow I mentioned is a former K&T employee of approx 30 years. I found out about him through a member of the PM site, and gave them a call. He's in business, this is not a hobby with him. I bought a front primary sliding gear, for the column, this is a cluster gear that you are not going to make unless you have a gear shaper. The price for "new old stock" was 360.00. The price wasn't a steal, and wasn't robbery, it was fair. My mill was down and I needed it up, I talked to Ron on Saturday, the gear was shipped on Monday and I had my mill back up and running Wednesday afternoon, and set up a ran a job on Thursday.
LL Richards is a new one to me, I have dealt with Parts-N-Parts previously, but when they quote, I always get a chuckle and think what planet are they from. I didn't call them this last time.
Harry

Toolbert
08-10-2005, 12:06 AM
To some extent...

The number indicates the size and horsepower.

"H" = a particular model made in many styles, happens to be most common model found in home-shop sizes, also happens that most were made as horizontals, but "H" does not mean "horizontal". made 1940's-60's I think.

"K" = a later model w/ more auto sequence features and not made in home shop sizes

"S" = later series similar to the "H", 1960's-70's

"D" = the "die mill" i.e. 2D a jig-bore style vertical mill with high accuracy and a small table. cost $26,000 in 1967.

Added to the model #:

"C" = higher speed range for carbide

"L" = "low power", lower power / smaller size version