PDA

View Full Version : OT?: Oil for a Paper Shredder

Paul Alciatore
08-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I just bought a paper shredder and am having fun msking little ones out of big ones.

They recommend a vegetable based oil and they sell some special stuff at $8 for a few ounces. Got to be tremendously overpriced.

I'm wonedring if I can use something less expensive. Anyone know if vegetable based is really necessary? If so, can I use cooking oil? Or what?

Paul A.

MechHead
08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I just purchased a shredder as well and bought the little $8 bottle of oil; my old shredder used to jam something fierce, and wasn't aware of the need to oil them.

Instruction manual? What do I need that for?

Evan
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Try Pam non stick spray.

SGW
08-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I couldn't accept the idea of $8-a-pint oil either.

My approach has been to put some regular machine oil on a piece of paper occasionally and shred it. Dunno whether that's effective or not, but it seems to me like a reasonable way to do it. Back in "the old days" Teletype punches used oiled paper tape, so I'm guessing that shredding a piece of oiled paper will work more or less the same way.

Ian B
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Could the requirement for a vegetable-based oil be something environmental, such as shredded paper ending up for recycling or in a landfill?

Think of the horrendous effect that your few milliliters per year of ex-shredder machine oil could have on the city tip!

Ian

BillH
08-10-2005, 02:34 PM
I like Evans idea, infact im going to try it out right now

Lynn Standish
08-10-2005, 04:54 PM
I used a little air tool oil in mine. It looked about the same as the stuff at the shredder store. It was pretty thin. Kind of funny that the instructions don't say to oil the machine, just the salesman who is also selling the oil. Wouldn't you think the manufacturer would make it a requirement to keep the warranty in force if it was really needed?

IOWOLF
08-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Around here you can buy a $25.00 shreader, $8.00 bottle of oil thats a third of the price of the shreader, thats nuts.

Paul Alciatore
08-10-2005, 05:04 PM
But one of the NO-NOs in the instruction book was using a spray on oil. Can't figure out why not on that one either.

That does it.

I'm running for Congress. I have three program planks.

1. Sidewalks with no cracks. It's almost impossible to not step on the cracks in some of them. Something MUST be done.

2. All items in stores will sell at the price posted ON THE ITEM. If no price on it, it's free.

3. No insrtuction manuals can make blanket statemente like "use vegetable based oil" without FULLY discussing WHY. And I mean F U L L Y, including their desire to sell their own high priced junk.

4. Death to all persons who write mal-ware. No trials. Just a rope.

Oops, that's four planks. Well, tough, it's four.

Please write my name in on the next ballot for both senator and congressman. I promise to honor the above campaign promises and only steal enough for retirement. Thanks for your support.

Paul A.

IOWOLF
08-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Paul Alciatore For President.

or moderator.

Evan
08-10-2005, 05:18 PM
"But one of the NO-NOs in the instruction book was using a spray on oil. Can't figure out why not on that one either."

They didn't want to spend the extra to put their product in a spray can. It would eat into the 10,000% profit margin.