PDA

View Full Version : OT - 'nother motor-sickle question

lynnl
08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
I've never been a motorcyclist, but can understand the appeal. And based on the threads I see here, there seems to be a lot of expertise in this group.

There's usually a lot of discussion about the Harleys and some others, but I don't think I've ever seen a single comment about the Victory line of bikes.

Anybody have any firm opinions on those? I've always thought they looked nice, but never had any idea about the quality or owner satisfaction.

Also, in this weekend's paper I saw an ad for "Star" motorcyles. That's a new one to me.

tattoomike68
08-09-2005, 03:25 PM
polaris makes some nice stuff, lots of power ,the arlen ness series looks realy good.

I am not rich, I would find a used goldwing myself.

Michael Moore
08-09-2005, 03:30 PM
"Star" is the Yamaha cruiser line. They've just spun that off as a separate brand name.

cheers,
Michael

IOWOLF
08-09-2005, 03:32 PM
I have owned several 'Wings, they are nice,But if you want a 1000# vibrator or a name,get a harley.

lynnl
08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
The 'name' would mean nothing to me, other than perhaps from a resale perspective. The Victory looks pretty 'Harley-like' to me. So all other things being equal I'd probably be every bit as happy on it as a Harley ...and a fatter (or less empty actually) bank account would make me all the happier!!

But.. I don't think age 61 is a good time to become a first time cyclist anyway.

Allan Waterfall
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:

But.. I don't think age 61 is a good time to become a first time cyclist anyway.</font>

Just go for it or you'll always regret not trying it.Once you start to love bikes it's a lifelong affair.

Allan

lynnl
08-09-2005, 04:39 PM
"...a lifelong affair."

That's what I'm afraid of!!! "Lifelong"
might turn out to be not long at all!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Carl
08-09-2005, 04:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But.. I don't think age 61 is a good time to become a first time cyclist anyway.</font>

You owe it to yourself to at least try it. Of course, you know your limitations, but I think the reward is worth the risk, especially with a little common sense risk management. There is a difference between living...and merely existing.

By the way, I am 52, and though I started riding thirty plus years ago. I took a couple of decades hiatus from riding for various reasons, but always remained interested in motorcycling in all it's forms.

I still have my old Harley that I started on (built it up from a basket case in the early '70s). I have also been interested in sportbikes for the last twenty years or so. I saw an ad for a brand new non-current model year Yamaha R1 (a 2001 model in the fall of 2002)with a really good price markdown.

Now, the Yamaha R1 is one of the half dozen or so fastest production vehicles for sale to the public in existance. I went to look at it and was completely intimidated by it's looks and quickly left the dealers showroom.

Over the next week I got to thinking about how, when I really did get old, that I might greatly regret not taking on this challenge. So it was back to the dealer, money on the line and the bike in the back of the pickup headed for home.

I started very slowly with this bike, working up to my limitations carefully. I will never reach the bikes limitations, few people short of a professional roadracer could.

But man, is this thing FUN! I live 2 miles from a road that is a sportbikers dream. Thirty two miles of curves from hairpins to long lazy sweepers.

Starting out, 50 mph was scary fast through most of the turns. The other day I rode through an "S" curve on the road that can only be described as exquisite. The transition from leaning hard left to over center and then hard right is incredible, and I caught a quik glimpse of the digital speedometer the last time I did it...81 MPH!...what a RUSH!

lynnl
08-09-2005, 05:13 PM
In college I rode a lot on the back of my buddy's bikes (he had 2 or 3 at any one time: Triumph's mostly and I think a BSA). Enjoyed that a lot. He subsequently quit law school and went on to develop a very successful motorcycle/ATV Honda dealership.

I've only operated one a handful of times, and those were on the order of 125 and maybe 250cc, back when my wife's younger brothers were into bikes. ...almost had a spill with my wife on the back. She jumped off and swore to never get on one with me again!

Plus, I'm kinda short. I'd think it would be kind of a stretch for me to support the bigger bikes when stopped.

The time that it's most appealing to me is on a crisp fall day out on a nice country road, slipping along midst the fall foliage. Of course just being alive sitting on a rock on a nice fall day appeals to me!

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-09-2005).]

wato
08-09-2005, 05:37 PM
I recently got back on two wheels after a 20year break. Not many bike riders out here and a small country town. Most people think I'm mad dodging the suicidal kangaroos and such.
But I just think a lot of people are so scared of dying they are afraid to live.
Now I don't have a death wish or anything but if I happen to go while riding. At least I'll be having fun not sitting around thinking about what I could have done.
Give it ago.
Bikes may not be for everyone but if you like it you'lllove it.
Live life love life.
Cheers.

CCWKen
08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I had a Honda Gold Wing Interstate. Fully loaded--Radio, Tape, CB, Intercomm, Cruise Control(elec.). It was so smooth riding, I fell asleep on it twice. Once returning from Niagra Falls to Cleveland. Another time in Cincinnati returning from Texas.

If it wasn't for the self tracking capabilities, I would have ended up in a ditch both times. The first time A friend riding behind me saw my head bobbing and yelled through the CB. The second time, I dreamed of hitting a black/yellow striped wall and woke up hard on both brakes. As soon as I realized it was a dream, I looked around to see if anyone was watching. It was 3am and the road was clear but I had just came through a large turn in the interstate.

If you like to cruise, weight counts. If you're a light to light racer, go lite.

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 08-09-2005).]

GregC
08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I think it depends on where you live. If you live in an isolated area you can have a pretty good chance of not getting in an accident.

But if you live in any major city or suburb, think three times. I hardly ride my bike anymore - there are simply too many jackasses out there. Sad fact of life. It's pretty dashing to say 'life's not worth living if you can't be free', etc. but life's also not worth living if you're...not living.

At one of my larger customers they have had 3 guy killed in the past 6 months - two Harleys and one 'ninja' bike. Each was killed by an auto. Each had a wife and kids. I'll bet any one of those dudes would give up riding if he had another chance.

Take your biggest, baddest Harley riding mo-fo. The one with all the tattoos, 20 year federal prison record, and gold teeth. Put him up against a 45 year-old lady with an Excursion and a lipstick tube and he's gonna lose.

x39
08-09-2005, 07:16 PM
To answer your original question regarding the Victorys, a good friend of mine has had one for several years and likes it a lot. He hasn't had any trouble with it that I know of.

darryl
08-09-2005, 08:24 PM
I know a couple who upon retiring got a pair of bikes and started out across country. Canada, that is, and subsequent to that they have toured through the US. I think they got the bikes a few months before the first trip, so at least there was some time to learn to ride.
If you have the inclination to try riding, then it's almost a sure bet you will love it.
There's more than a few ways to go about it. It's probably best to take a riding course, as the most important things you'll be learning is how to survive, and how to instantly cope with sudden situations. You're a sitting duck on a bike, but you learn to anticipate problems and constantly plan your way out of them. The first couple of months for me was like running the gauntlet. I got used to the idea that I had to constantly save my own life from the hands of others, and from myself, and with that 'program' running in my brain, I became free to enjoy the riding experience. I don't think a day went by for the first ten years that I didn't ride the bike- not quite true, I didn't ride in snow and ice, so make that 11 months of the year.
My dad rode until the age of 75 or so, and one fella I know was still riding in his late 80's. He was quite fond of going way too fast, but when he passed away, it was from other causes.

lynnl
08-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Oh I have no doubt at all that I'd enjoy it immensely.
And I have plenty of confidence in my abilities. Good reflexes. pretty athletic. Good vision. Do my driving far ahead. etc. But as Greg pointed out, one mistake or moment of inattention on the part of someone else and you're history despite your best efforts.

RAD1
08-09-2005, 09:42 PM
I've heard alot of good things about the Victory's by talking to people filling up at gas stations and dealers. cheaper than Harley's as dependable if not more so than Harley and more of the motorcycle is made in the U.S.A. than the Harley is.

gizmo2
08-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Riding a bike is an event in and of itself. Commuting in a car or truck is just going somewhere. When I take a bike I've completely forgotten the work day after the first corner. Yes, you have to pay attention; it helps to think of yourself as being invisible. So where will YOU go when they invade your space? It used to be eye contact with the driver meant something, but now with cell phones that doesn't hold true. 61? I'd say you deserve a bike. My advice is to drive something loud and drive somewhat stupid. Don't match the speed of the surrounding traffic. Then the people in cars will say "Look at that crazy asshole!" but at least they saw you. I don't like loud, so I drive extra stupid. Mostly just when there's cross traffic. The rest of the time I drive like grampa. As for your stature, they make stuff for everybody these days. You are sure to find something that suits you.

dsergison
08-09-2005, 10:12 PM
you know, I prefer american sportbikes, Buells.

but an 883 or 1200 sportster really is a nice comfortable smaller shorter reasonably cheap good re-saleable bike.

a Buell Blast is exactly a first time owners bike, but I hate the look.

and there's no shame in a good scooter. My dad got into scooters at 65.

BWS
08-10-2005, 04:46 AM
Now for the "other" side of it.We live on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.Have been riding/curveburnin for goin on 40 years.I clean up on avg. a dz. wrecks a year.........last one saw me shovin grey matter back into a once helmet shod 'Wing pilot who happened to be having a massive heart attack at the same time.He freaked on a simple downhill Lty,bike went over an embankment he was floppin 'round in the middle of the rd.The thoughts of newbies on R1s gives me goosebumps.To all ya'll......GET SOME PROPER INSTRUCTION!!!!
And that includes all you cruiser riders.Don't hand me....."we just take it easy" BS,the dead rider above was no doubt taking it easy.......and this wass with ZERO traffic!Go find and attend a MSF course at the very least.My appologies for the minor rant.

Best of luck,BW

Your Old Dog
08-10-2005, 08:39 AM
God as my judge, I filmed a fatal bike accident today. The guy had the right of way on a 4lane and this woman stopped and then pulled out in front of him. He died instantly. But bike riding ain't about dying, it's about living. Either Cancer, terriorist or crazed gun weilding freaks can cause the same end. Ride because you want to live, don't avoid it because you'd rather be taken out by a Greyhound bus then a bike accident.

My family knows I've enjoyed my life. If I get taken out tomorrow I don't want no one feeling sorry for me, it's been a good ride. And as long as I'm still here and heatlth enough I'm going to do what I can to Live, but that don't include staying home.

Just buy one bike you can control. In particular, I like being able to have both feet "comfortably" on the ground when I'm at a red light. Some seats are so tall you are on your tiptoes in gravel and sandy intersections with a 600lbs bike !

Get in the wind as they say, look for a road that runs along a creek or river and experiance what it's like to fly without leaving the ground.

**this has been edited to correct some spelling mistakes even I could spot!**

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 08-10-2005).]

GregC
08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
"But bike riding ain't about dying, it's about living. Either Cancer, terriorist or crazed gun weilding freaks can cause the same end."

Well....the whole idea is to prolong the onset of death and to avoid the greater risks. I think statistically you have a much greater chance of a bike accident than getting killed by a crazed gun weilding freak, or a terrorist. As far as cancer, maybe you could eat a better diet and give up the Camels.

You don't want your family to feel sorry for YOU? What about them? Isn't it a little selfish to deprive your kids of father, you wife of a husband, etc.?

Man, this thread is making me feel old!

Your Old Dog
08-10-2005, 05:59 PM
GregC, I don't think it's a selfish point of view at all.

I don't want to take this thread to places explored by some other recent threads but let me clear the cloud over my head! When my friends loose loved ones I tell them it's supposed to hurt and that hurt is testomony to our love. I also tell them I think much of our greiving process is selfish because as a Believer, I believe they move to a better place then they would have been here.

I don't believe all I hear about what causes what. I subscribe to the theory that you got so many beats in your heart. If you're lucky, a Greyhound won't get you before Father Time does, either way, you're going out! But I feel bad for those who tried so hard to last forever by a lifesyle of denial and then cash out early anyway. My family is okay with my feelings but I better see some damn tears anyway http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif If someone feels compelled to answer this post(and I hope they don't) maybe we should have a new thread.
Ray.............

chief
08-10-2005, 07:06 PM
My newest bike is 35 years old, I ride stuff that is no longer made OSSA,BSA.
I have to make and modify a lot of parts but the reward is worth it. No other machines like it around, it feels like I bought me a little piece of freedom.
The question is do you ride a motorcycle or are you a motorcycle rider?
Street riding is cool but when I get out there in the dirt, that's when it's really fun, I'm suddenly sixteen again and no one can take that away from me.