PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall

madman
08-10-2005, 01:33 AM
I need a retaining wall four feet high for behind my new shop. Any ideas. It is sloped a bit and needs to hold back some dirt from sliding down a hill with my garage in there somewhere like a boogie board. Thanx

John Stevenson
08-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Any Israilies near you?
They are good at building walls

J Tiers
08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Those concrete wall blocks work well

scrap I-beam driven in with treated lumber slid into the spaces

just slope the ground to the "angle of repose" or shallower and it won't slide

flat rocks laid on the slope will hold the dirt if the angle is shallower than about 50 deg. above that, patio pavers or old bricks

let weeds and brush grow, preferably ones with taproots....they'll hold it at any reasonable slope.

madman
08-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Actually John there are Iranians living behind me. Also they have three satellite dishes aimed in the general direction of iran. Im canadian and not paranoid like my American friends but I cleaned my old Israeli Galil rifle the other day (7.62 caliber)and prepared my night vision equipment. Im gonna be ready if theres trouble.

Mcgyver
08-10-2005, 10:53 AM
lol now that cracked me up. you guys are going to get this thread deleted http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Mac1
08-10-2005, 11:56 AM
"not paranoid like my American friends but I cleaned my old Israeli Galil rifle the other day (7.62 caliber)and prepared my night vision equipment. Im gonna be ready if theres trouble."
You just may be as paranoid as we are.

andy_b
08-10-2005, 01:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madman:
Im canadian and not paranoid like my American friends but I cleaned my old Israeli Galil rifle the other day (7.62 caliber)and prepared my night vision equipment. Im gonna be ready if theres trouble. </font>

i didn't think you Northerners could still own stuff like Galils? at least not without having it stored at a sanctioned range locker or some such.

as for the retaining wall, the suggestion from J. Tiers to plant something with good taproots is actually the best solution. provided you can get the stuff growing before your garage goes slip slidin' away. i live in an area with a lot of steep slopes. sure, folks can spend a ton of cash getting retaining walls to stay put, but good ground cover seems to hold up best and it rarely topples over (we don't live in a mud slide zone like the folks in California, who by the way can't buy Galils).

andy b.

lynnl
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Too bad you're not here in the south. Two or three cudzu roots would give you full coverage in week or so.

Of course your whole shop would be covered over within a month.

..or maybe that's spelled Kudzu. In fact I think it is.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-10-2005).]

Lynn Standish
08-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Retaining walls are kind of a special item. Typically, they need to be engineered based on soil conditions, moisture, slope of grade behind the wall, height, etc.

If you want it to work, you will probably have to bite the bullet and have it professionally engineered. You might want to look at this for a start: http://www.keystonewalls.com/

QSIMDO
08-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Unless you're nuts about walls and the look, a quick and relatively easy method of bank retention is 6" modified rip rap.

Cover the existing slope, done & done. Holds soil, drains water and doesn't fall down.

northof54
08-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Retaining walls prevent soil erosion- sort of. What really prevents erosion is control of water run off. If you direct/ control the run off, you'll get rid of 90 % of your problems. The shop roof forces all water towards the edge, then the water takes the path of least resistance (normally, a high velocity mini river, which carries soil down the bank, digging a rut.
The best solution is to slow the water and force the flow through coarse rock, covered/ encased with filter cloth. Any utiility contactor can sell you some or tell you where to get filter membrane.
Retaining walls should be pourous- riprap walls are great, but need a 1/1 slope with planted, deep root vegitation. Treated wood 'seawall' style works great but costs more. US Corp of Engineers and Mirafi were my US sources of info when I built.
Any more questions, let me know. I'm no machinist but I've built miles of seawalls/ retaining walls. Thanks for all the great info guys!
mike

madman
08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Andy with all the proper liscencing permits and such any responsible tax paying citicen can own damn near anything he wants. Now getting enough ammo and gun powder can get kinda weird though, I havent figured out how to make my own gunpowder yet.

glenj
08-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I've seen long cloth "socks" stacked on steep slopes that are filled with soil and seeds, they soon grow to cover the whole slope. A good wall building method is using rock filled "gabions" or wire cages stacked up with an offset per row.