PDA

View Full Version : Optical comparator, measuring microscope

ibewgypsie
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I went searching for a Loupe to measure the angles and end points on drill bits.. NOW? I have found and purchased a examination-measuring microscope off ebay.

It has reticles and a ruler etched into the lens.

ANyone else have one? For reading chips and doing drill bits.

http://www.bargainmicroscopes.com/bargainmicroscopes/microscopes/productline/bs33/bs33l_s.jpg
http://www.bargainmicroscopes.com/bargainmicroscopes/microscopes/productline/bs33/s33e10o10_penny_number9_m.jpg

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Paul Alciatore
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I got this little beauty some years ago in a surplus place. $20 or $30.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/BauschAndLomb.jpg

It is Bausch & Lomb, 10X - 30X Zoom and has a reticule that is calibrated in ten thousanths of a foot. Probably 1930s. Older than I am.

The grease was completely dried out so I had to completely disassemble it, clean all the old grease out, and relubricate. Had to replace one of the cam/screws that actuated the zoom as the original female threads were stripped. Taped it for a bigger size. It works like a charm and I have used it for many things.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 08-10-2005).]

vinito
08-10-2005, 10:42 PM
I use one of these and squint real tight-like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/mikeyphoto/ruler.jpg

It's an eyecrometer.

ibewgypsie
08-11-2005, 02:31 AM
Vinito:

I did use one of them machinists rulers. It has the lil bitty marks.. (*64ths) and I could see a bore job on cylinders on it.

Then my eyes are bulged out from the hormones and thyroid problems. WOn't focus worth a crap. I ended up buying a 19" lcd sony monitor too. I got new reading glasses everywhere.

This is from a man who used to make his own special single needle tattoo tubes from hypodermic needles so I could put major detail into a tattoo the size of a dime.

I hate to admit it, but it hurts my pride to become "slightly disabled". I am trying to adapt without becoming so depressed I put the car or bike into a bridge column at 100+.

You'll probably see the camera I have mounted on my cnc mill connected to this microscope soon. Dual duty, a scanner and a microscope.

I have been so frustrated at dull drill bits. I have picked them up off the floor on construction jobs for 30 years. Most electricians fling them when they get dull. I think I have a five gallon bucket of the normal sizes. What is really funny? to watch a guy who won't listen try to drill stainless sheet and go through ten or more drill bits in a hour. I try to help, they roll thier eyes. "Freakin know it alls".

pgmrdan
08-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Really nice catch David!

It's funny this topic has come up. Recently I've been going back-and-forth about getting a stereo microscope. Nothing fancy. Just something for the workshop.

I'm getting tired of using one hand to hold the magnifier and one hand to hold the object, which means neither one is steady. My magnifier goes up to around 12x, which is usually plenty but there are times I want more.

Edmund Optics is where I was looking a couple of days ago. They're hooked up with the old Edmund Scientific that's been around forever. Years ago I bought Edmund Scientific RKE eyepieces for my refractor telescope and they've been very good. Edmund Optics has a 20x stereo microscope for around $200 I might get in a couple of months if I catch it on sale. Christmas isn't too far away.

Any recommendations on a stereo microscope? What's a handy power?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-11-2005).]

Ian B
08-11-2005, 02:45 PM
David,

Nice microscope!

What's the magnification of the one you bought? I've seen them for sale offering 20x, 50x and 100x.

Thanks,

Ian

ibewgypsie
08-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Pgrm.. You can almost get a ccd camera, and stereo microscope off ebay for that. DO a ebay search for a DISSECTING microscope. Them are the kind you can put anything under and look at it. There was a celestron I almost bought.

Ian: SOrry, don't remember the power, braindead at the moment. I sure hope I didn't over-power the one I ordered.

I used to use a 100x to look at my tattoo needles, when they'd get so sharp they'd bend over and make fishhooks, you could see why a wore out needle jerks blood while it's tattooing. Some inks, the ones that are metallic based would wear the needles out quick, Mostly that is what I looked for. Dry steam autoclaving was rough on them too. Missing needles were always a concern.. Never figured out where they went.. People use new needles each time, most artists don't even have a autoclave. Unless you buy certified clean and pay out the yin-yang you get dirty needles with flux still on them.

I mounted the tool grinder over the head on my lathe today. It just fit. I needed it in a out of the way place with good lighting and that was it. The tools in my shop are kinda like a puzzle, everything in it's place.

Has anyone built drill bit jigs to go onto one of them?

Been a rough day so far, broke six taps and about four drill bits. I think my hands are shaking. One of the drills flew 20 feet and made a sound when it hit like a baseball. EYE protection is required.
David

pgmrdan
08-11-2005, 06:48 PM
How can this be a stereo (???) binocular microscope? It's binocular but with only one objective lense it can't be stereo, can it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BINOCULAR-STEREO-DISSECTING- MICROSCOPE-20X-40X-80X_W0QQitemZ7536402677QQcategoryZ48740QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/BINOCULAR-STEREO-DISSECTING-MICROSCOPE-20X-40X-80X_W0QQitemZ7536402677QQcategoryZ48740QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

To me this is a stereo binocular microscope. Notice, it has 2 objective lenses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stereo-Microscope_W0QQitemZ6551718298QQcategoryZ361QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-11-2005).]

Wirecutter
08-11-2005, 09:50 PM
That dissecting scope is like those I've used in the electronics biz. There are two lenses on the bottom side (whatever it's called), they're just covered up by that black hood on the bottom. Bosch and Loumb (sp?) make units that look like the one you asked about. They're not as good as Olympus or another asian-sounding brand (don't remember name), IMHO.

ibewgypsie
08-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I may buy another scope. I got a email in to the lady who emailed me about the one I bought asking her opinion.

The one I bought has a field of view 1.4mm.. not enough. (once again I ordered too fast) the one I need is probably the cheapest one they have @49.99.. I plan on mounting the webcam on there anyways and putting it on the cnc cabinet.

nheng
08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Dave, Handy unit, should be easy to add stuff onto to hold bits, etc.

Dan, Most high power biological scopes have a binocular (or trinocular) head which is primarily for comfort. They are not stereo.

There are two main types of stereo. They have two optical paths from the eyes to the objective(s). Most stereos used for electronic and other small work are the "Greenough" type which have two paths including two objectives. The paths match the angle of your average pair of eyes viewing a close up object.

Another type of stereo, usually reserved for higher end lab stereo scopes, is the Galilean type. This one has dual eyepieces, parallel optical paths and usually ONE objective lens. They are still true stereos because each eye has an independent path. These scopes make it easy to add coaxial lighting (used for looking directly at highly reflective ICs or metallurgical use), or for adding photo accessories, either into the parallel path without disturbing magnification.

For most electronics work at home and work (including fine pitch SMT), I use the lowest (10x) setting of a 10-60x or 10-40x stereo AND a 0.5x lens. The 0.5x lens doubles the working distance and halves the power for soldering under.

The working distance on a Nikon SMZ-2T at 10x and with 0.5x lens is almost 8 inches. This allows tilting the head and actually taking a side view of fine pitch chips between leads or from the side. When soldering, the tilted head also keeps the scope further away from the smoke and flux.

In my earlier scope days, I experimented with video cameras as a stereo scope replacement. The problem is that without the depth perception which stereo give, you can see a tiny part and your iron tip but can't tell if you're 1/16" above it or 1/4" above it. I suppose you could play with several color cameras, 3D glasses and computer screen but it's too much work for me http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

elbryant
08-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Consider using a stereo microscope on a boom mount - much better for what we are using it.

The other kinds have lights in the bases for transmittting through the specimen.

Ed