PDA

View Full Version : Rocking motion of T&C Grinder

John Lawson
08-13-2005, 12:45 PM
The tool holder on my T&C grinder moves forward and back several inches, it moves in rotary fashion unrestricted, it has a degree setting for moving the tooth blade holder radially and it has a side to side rocking motion that is controlled by screws and lock nuts.
What is the purpose of the rocking motion?
I bought a CD "Tool and Cutter grinder Mk4" but I can't find the answer in the section on general tool grinding.Can anyone supply me with an answer?

Mcgyver
08-13-2005, 05:27 PM
can you take couple of photo's? - I'm sure back and forth and side to side make perfect sense when you're looking it at http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

is the rocking spring loaded? on mine its just a way of engaging/disengaging the cutter into the wheel. with the cutter disengaged, you position the cutter relative to tooth rest and wheel and then slowly to start cutting

Chief Mcgee
08-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Not sure if this is what you are describing but: I have seen grinders that do this when you are grinding the OD of the end mill. You grind the OD from the cutting end to the shank end. Then “rock” the holder away from the wheel for the return stroke. That lets you go faster since the end mill is not in contact with the wheel.

John Lawson
08-14-2005, 11:59 AM
I get the idea. Thank you, gentlemen.
This is the grinder mentioned in this forum, listed on Ebay a month or two ago. Turns out it is the tool holder described mated to a toolpost grinder for a Logan 10" lathe. Even has the mounting piece for the compound.
As a toolpost grinder, it is worth more than I paid. The base is a milling vise for the Logan which, again, is worth more than the price I ended with.
The tool holder is obviously from a large t&c grinder of ancient vintage.
No complaints, even if I don't get it to sharpen my end mills.