PDA

View Full Version : computer

madman
08-12-2005, 10:25 AM
What program is available to completely clear the computer registry. Does acumulated information slow down and or impede computer performance.

JPR
08-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Usually it is all the programs running in the background. I try to limit what programs load at startup. While waiting for Evan to post a better answer, have you run spybot and good virus scan?

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 08-12-2005).]

Evan
08-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Try regclean. It works on 95, 98, ME and 2000. Although not specifically designed for XP it seems to work ok. YMMV. Use system restore to create a restore point first.

Program here:

http://www.soft32.com/download_239.html

User comments here:

http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/archives/20040930_update_regclean_and_xp.phtml

Joel
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
I can’t get regclean to run on my windows 2000 machine. It just hangs for some reason.

Is there another registry cleaner that you would recommend?

The Doctor
08-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Registry cleaners are a lot like those" Memory Defragger" applications you can buy, they sound like a really good thing, but often end up causing more trouble than they solve. I have tried several different registry cleaners on several different occasions, I will tell you this. When I was running Windows 98, I never succeeded in fixing anything with a Registry cleaner but oftentimes cause myself enough problems that I had to reformat. Under Windows 2000 my luck has been better, I have never screwed it up to bad with the Registry cleaner, and it actually solved that few problems at one point in time. Of course, that was because an other" Computer Tuneup" app screwed things up really bad. My best advice to you is not to use any registry cleaners, you will more likely than not cause more trouble than you fix. To shut down unneeded Windows services, and scanned for any potential spyware on your computer. Every time one of my friends has a problem or the computer starts running very slow, I always find is infected with either spyware or a virus or both.

Ed

Mike Burdick
08-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Here's one that's called HijackThis. This program lists the contents of key areas of the Registry and hard drive and will let you remove what you don't want.

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

After running it, you can look each item up on the Internet and see what it does or you can post your log at

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Someone there will tell you what should be removed.

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 08-13-2005).]

mochinist
08-13-2005, 01:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Burdick:
Here's one that's called Hijackthis. It will tell you what is running on your computer and will let you remove what you don't want from your registry.

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

After running it, you can look each item up on the Internet and see what it does or you can post your log at

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Someone there will tell you what should be removed.

</font>

Be really careful with this program, a person can really screw up a computer if they don't know what they are doing.

matador
08-13-2005, 02:11 AM
When mine starts screwing up,i find the easiest is a reformat.A lot of work,sure,but it gets rid of all those old deleted programs and other rubbish.No matter how well compressed,it's always there unless you format .

------------------
Hans

Evan
08-13-2005, 03:28 AM
Don't you just love Windblows?

ibewgypsie
08-13-2005, 07:03 AM
I really did love linux till I got the same thing happening on Redhat 9.0..

I had to reformat and reload. I think the problem came from a european site where linux is more common. This was even more aggravating due to my inexperience in fixing Linux.

It is more rare, but it happens. I hate most about WIndows is not being in control over "my machine". You have the keyboard, you don't have the reins.. or consider you have the reins and the horse is hardheaded and does what he wants. I've punched a couple in the side of the head trying to bite my leg.

It is a picturesque graphical controller that allows the ignorant masses to use a computer and care less about the mechanics, timing, and content. I DO not recomend using windows on a machine where you want cnc/plc output. As good as the software is "pretty" it still has issues.

In other words, Win-Blows.

ibewgypsie
08-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I finally got a version of EMC to download and boot, and work, and install to disk.

Burn the iso image in Linux, erase the toaster file handler at track0, put it at track0 it takes about two or three times longer to burn but works. Using .iso as boot image has not worked with nero6 or toaster in linux.
Freedos was the same, I have a dozen or so "coasters" around till I burned it at track0. A man could put freedos, Turbocnc, his configured .ini/setup files on there and run off a cdrom, put his programs into the floppy drive or drip them in the port.

Something aggravating? if there is any indication to Nero6 that the file/music is copyrighted it will trash a disc and not complete the burn. DVD recording is a joke with that software. SO is my DvD tele recorder. It has to be on regular tele to record onto that special brand of disc.

Your Old Dog
08-13-2005, 08:42 AM
you might try this one.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I loaded Norton 2005 last night, couldn't get 04 out of the registry so they directed me to a MS site but I can't remember where it was but it did the trick. (05 found 28 virus"i"

Carl
08-14-2005, 06:16 PM
I fixed my hard drive with scanreg run from a floppy boot disk.

madman
08-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Computers are wackyé I run adaware new updated and avg anti virus. I had mcaffee but it fried my system i mean it required reformating after loading it. I emailed the folks at mcaffee and they never replied. I figure they are aware they dont know what theyre doing and there programs are total ****e. m glad i never invested in there pathetic company. I appreciate the comments .Reformating sounds like the pragmatic approach towards system bugs and problems. Thanx again for the replies

JPR
08-14-2005, 09:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matador:
When mine starts screwing up,i find the easiest is a reformat. A lot of work,sure,but it gets rid of all those old deleted programs and other rubbish. No matter how well compressed,it's always there unless you format .

</font>

One option along those lines is to use Ghost and create a image the pc's hard drive once you have everything setup. Then it only takes a few minutes to restore the pc.

The Doctor
08-15-2005, 01:23 AM
JPR, ghost? I will admit that program saved my ass many times when I was running Windows 98, but I would have to consider the program a thing of the past. Yes, you can still use it, but I have never found it to deal well with NTFS nor have I ever had success using it with an external USB drive. A much better application to use his Acronis True Image. A very nice graphical interface, you can make an image of a Windows installation while Windows is running, and it has worked fine with every type of external drive might have used. The only thing it has ever given me trouble with is restoring from CDs were the image is large enough to span more than one disc. I don't know why, but you've only got about a 50-50 chance of restoring a spanned image. Then again, large USB hard drives are cheap, and are extremely convenient to use. You can probably obtain the program and a decent external drive for less than $200 total, and this allows you to restore windows to any point in time at which you made a backup.

BTW, in Win XP you have a function called a system restore point. I know very few people would find this to be a satisfactory way of getting out of trouble, but I have seen plenty cases were problem is fixed and then somehow the system is restored to a point where it had a problem! My advice is to go with the image backup software and disable system restore if your computer has it. Of course, all of this is just my opinion, and you know what opinions are like http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Also, as somebody else has already stated, be very careful about using Hijackthis. I had a friend who thinks you know what he's doing mess with this program, he was not overly thrilled with the results. We were able to sell its a system without a reformat and reinstall, but it took quite a bit of time to get it back to the way he wanted. On the other hand, I have never done any damage with ad-aware.

Ed

Your Old Dog
08-15-2005, 06:14 AM
If you're running XP, you might try putting in your windows disk but dont let it start. Then go to Run and bang in "SFC/ scannow" (the space needs to be in there)

This has saved me a couple of times. It resets the registry files back to what windows wants to look at and cleans up unwanted files. I think this only works on XP. Do a google for "sfc/ scannow" and you'll find plenty of info on it.

Wirecutter
08-15-2005, 11:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
.. or consider you have the reins and the horse is hardheaded and does what he wants. I've punched a couple in the side of the head trying to bite my leg.
</font>

Ibew -
I have to say that I like the elegant description. That's about the best and most easily understood explaination of the way WinBlows operates. And even a non-geek (like SWMBO) can get the idea of what you're saying. SWMBO usually just dismisses me as a Windows Hater.
Anyway, hats off again.

-M

Evan
08-15-2005, 12:11 PM
To give some idea of just how bad Windows is a little comparison is in order. When the Commodore Amiga came out in the middle 1985 there was no Windows. The Amiga offered a 32bit pre-emptive multi-tasking GUI (Graphical User Interface) and 4 channel stereo sound with actual sampled sound for instruments or voice.

Windows 1.0 came out that fall and was totally useless. It wasn't until 1990 that Windows 3.0 came out and it still didn't offer multitasking. The most telling difference was that the entire Amiga OS fit on a single 880K floppy disk.

The standard joke in this business is "Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away".

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-15-2005).]