PDA

View Full Version : CNC'ed 50 ton shop press update..

ibewgypsie
08-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I got it (opto22 B100 brain) talking to the computer in the milling machine, got it reading the encoder. Turning on and off the solonoids.

Best possible resolution is .004, It coasts after you shut off the solonoid. It also leaks down as it sits off.

I split a 24" toothed belt, tied one end to the top ram, tied the other end to a bar connected to the ram at bottom, mounted a quadrature rotary encoder on the press Ibeam. The belt as it travels across the sprocket on the encoder ticks counts to the opto22 module. I made a rack and gear out of a gilmer belt.
You enter a setpoint in the screen, push the foot pedal and it goes down till making setpoint. Stops, once you release the pedal it goes back up to home position. For doing exact angle breaks in 1/2" metal I have the piranaha die in there.

Kinda made a linear encoder from a rotary.

If you are interested I will post a picture, if not I will keep programming till I am happy with the function.

Tomorrow? I plan on mounting the model 3 bender frame on there permenantly. SIdeways, under the swinging gantry arm. (dies are 100lbs) It'll make a exact tubing bend as well as a exact break.. I hope.

This is project #3 on the list, I completed two others yesterday. Next one up? the powered english wheel w/curvature scanner, then the old 1800s drill press.

Notice I have been online less and shop productive more?

OHH yeah, we bought a new jap car. A 2005 Honda Civic.. Love it to death Sofar, goodbye Saturn-jap car. It's my wifes, not even driven it yet. It ain't a shelby cobra nor a gt40..

I raised the hoods on three days worth of cars before I bought the Honda. Most the American cars have more jap parts on them then the jap ones. Ours was assembled up north.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

CCWKen
08-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Geez, and I was feeling so good about just getting a new motor (110vdc) hooked up to the bead roller. I'm still waiting on a sprocket (ordered) and I'll run up to the big city tomorrow for another P-box for the controller.

Dang, you're making us look like slouches. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

cnccnc
08-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Very interested! Especially about the encoder hook ups and the software, switching solinoids I can do but the encoder . . . hope to learn!
Thanks

jimmstruk
08-14-2005, 07:33 PM
SHURE we want pictures!! Jim

madman
08-14-2005, 08:39 PM
David you sound like a electronic guru. I suggest you put an application in at NASA., They could use some wiring program software help. Pays decent also ive heard. I made parts for them many years ago lunar landing module. Its up on the moon. (Unless aliens took it as souveniers.) Im drinking moosehead beer but ran out and switched to budweiser. I cant buy the new bud ice up here. I kinda liked it. Youre purchase of the honda was a wise one. I built dies for them. I also service toyota dies. They are made in mexico and are shipped to our shop directly for us to debug and make production safe. I bet that honda gets good mileage. Post a photo please of youre press im intrigued. Hows about a giant pig roast beer bash for all the hsm members next year it would be great. Take care Madman

ibewgypsie
08-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Pictures in the morning.. I am shot-out.

FREE SPIRIT SOftware Share: The tricky stuff is at the end of the program, it uses Enterprise edition VB6 MScomm to communicate with the serial 422 opto22 boards. It uses graphical type checkboxes for the module positions on the opto22 rack. Color change as modules are powered up, I use the checkboxes, named FF1 FF2 for FF address adn module positions for logic store, then I switch boolean flags to make subroutines occur at the proper time in the "Run Main" section. The Timer used to read the board at regular intervals is called Read_FF_FE so you can spot where I turn it on and off while I am doing other things. It communicates at 38,400 baud.. pretty quick.. I am using a delay on the read-opto timer of 25 milleseconds.

A form with the graphical checkboxes and text lines is needed to run the program. If anyone wants a copy to play with gimme a day to check my latest revisions.

A DMA parallel board or DMA 8255 board is much easier to use, you just shift your binary words in and out to turn on outputs.

Software done in Visual basic 6..

If ya want a copy? email me and I'll send you all the vb6 files.. you have to save them, load them into a new project to get them to run. It's pretty interesting things to watch a serial link run at 38400 baud at 20ms per loop. Them lil communication lights never go out, just a steady glow.

David Cofer ibewgypsie@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 08-16-2005).]

ibewgypsie
08-16-2005, 11:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1014.jpg
First bent piece is propped up on there. It rocked up and hit the slide and warped slightly.. I got a real good reminder to keep my fingers outa the way. I jerked them back off from holding the piece square. Yeah, all the safteies in the world won't help if you don't follow procedures. I got release pedal, it cycles back up before finishing, a estop right there.. It originally had two hand acuators that must be pressed to make a stroke.. Like the place where a friend works.. but then they duct taped one switch down on every machine there.

As you can see, I didn't have the brad-harrison hookup for the encoder, I had to take it apart, look at the wiring on the traces on the emitter-detector and figure out the wires.

I then just butt-spliced it into a cable running up to some fast opto logic modules. Turns out on these encoder a regular module would have been plenty fast enough. No lost counts tho.

I am having some trouble with coasting past shut-off. I entered in a new box with coast-pre cut off. It shuts it down early and lets it coast into the position.. of course this will not work with metal in the brake.. Not sure how to accomplish that short of bumping it into position.

I mounted the spot welder onto the light bridge swing I had put on there. Plans are, for the computer to control the air cylinder and the current. No fancy smancy expensive timers needed. Not portable thou. I plan on using the same foot switch to cycle the welder that works the press. Just software select the process. Press still functions perfectly in manual mode with the computer off, or software selected.

THEN, projects have shuffled again... What was at the top yesterday is now down the list.

You could of course do the same thing with a harbor freight press and a linear slide without the computer. This is easier on a guy who don't like to sweat.

AND No, I have not gotten the model 3 bender hooked to it yet.. Shucks.. I need to bend some tubing now..

I slept all day yesterday. Darned thyroid and mediciene.

Rustybolt
08-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Damn, Dave. I was going to to brag on my new screw driver, but you beat me to it.Man, you have one hell of an imagination.