PDA

View Full Version : Seized Up

madman
08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Parking brake cables why do they work like ****e. Is there anyway of getting them to work properly. I have installed extra springs ,used cable lubeing devices ,placed blobs of grease on the open ends ,to keep water out and they still suck. I wonder if anyone has a good solution. Thanx Madman

John Stevenson
08-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Bricks under the wheels ??

Siress
08-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Have you tried rerouting them to prevent strain on the cable?

Nothing like a good wedge if you're leaving it sitting for more than a few days though, prevents stain on your vehical.

------------------
Paintball + machining = my life

CCWKen
08-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Just oil them--Don't seal them with grease. That just keeps the moisture in. I fiddled and farted with the cables on the golf cart to no avail. I ended up just getting new ones and squirting oil through the length.

aboard_epsilon
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Convert to rod linkage.
I'm building a trailer .....for my boat .....have been for sometime ..keep going off on tangents..
anyway the trailer I'm doing will have stainless steel rods to actuate the brakes.
all the best..mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 08-15-2005).]

Michael Az
08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
If you can clean them out, I would try graphite lube. I goes in wet then drys leaving graphite.
Michael

BillH
08-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Also using them every day will keep em from siezing up.

CCWKen
08-15-2005, 04:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Convert to rod linkage.</font>

Now there's a blast from the past. Old cars used rods then converted to cable. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Back to the future!

darryl
08-15-2005, 08:00 PM
I use a product called Tri-Flow. I'm amazed at how long it works with only a single application. I've lubed speedometer cables with it, and all my bike and bicycle cables, locks, windshield wiper shafts, door hinges, etc. Any and all mechanical linkages, including ball joints where there's no grease nipple.

It kinda smells good too, hmm.

coldformer
08-16-2005, 03:38 AM
yea
what bill said
use them daily

pete913
08-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Yeah I have a solution. Once they're rusted up to the point of sticking, there is no fix, replace 'em.

mrennie
08-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Use them daily, or don't use them at all.

On my manual trans car I use them daily.

On my automatic truck I never use them.

Evan
08-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Don't use TriFlow on sintered bearings like an oilite bearing. It plugs them solid. We found that out the hard way in Xerox.

Yankee1
08-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Sometimes when cable controls seize up its because one strand of the cable has broken and is protruding out of the twisted strands causing it to seize. Best replace the cable control.

GM54210
08-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Just drive backwards. The only time I used the E-brake on my '74 Maverick (lived in Illinois)it seized. Drove home in reverse - side streets of course.
Here in PA it's used every time the car is parked - no problems.

Wes

japcas
08-16-2005, 05:28 PM
My vote is for using them every time the car is parked. Even on automatics it keeps undo pressure from being applied to the parking sprag. Especially when parked on hills.

Paul Gauthier
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Mark,
Just so I understand, you are building a trailer that will have mechanicaly operated brakes via "rods". I gotta know, how does this work??????????????

------------------
Paul G.

madman
08-18-2005, 01:05 AM
John Stevenson Up here in Canada we use Possums under our wheels if the truck will sit a while. Then to get the critters to stay still so the truck wont roll we just shoot them dead. Take care John

Norman Atkinson
08-18-2005, 04:19 AM
The question of sticking " Bowden" cables is older than me. Wow!

Having said that, my son's Lotus Elise sports car got a seized rear trunk- engine cover. Whilst no strand had parted from the nipple or such, the water had got in through the release handle in the door well.
It simply wouldn't free- with WD 40, Plus Gas, brute force or bloody ignorance.
Finally, with a new cable available, the old one came out. He wants my workshop tidied up before I die.All my beautiful tools- rusty but wonderful. Finally, by hingeing human arms the wrong way, the cable came out.

"How do I stop it happening again?" said son to bleeding parent. A reprieve for my tools? Out came cable from sheath, in went slideways oil- from secret lathe source.
Followed by Copperslip grease- worked in behind the slideways oil and followed by more slideways oil.

Lecture commenced as follows
" When I was a boy, we fitted grease nipples onto cables- and injected heavy oil into them" Sullen silence followed.

Irascible father " Well, go and get a bloody spare now- and a pair of cutting pliers- and tape the buggers together"

Tools remain unbinned

Norman