PDA

View Full Version : Home Shop machinist class project?

ibewgypsie
08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I got this nifty cnc'ed press brake. Thinking of what I can make with it.

Have you seen the nifty hossfield type bender plans posted a month or week back?

I could bend up the frames pretty quick like, Shear them on the ironworker, punch the holes and then bend them up in the press. (laser cross hairs on the press?)

Problem is, there is a whole bunch of lil bitty things in them plans I don't want to build.

If each of us. HSM regulars made a part it'd be a whole.. sold each part for cost and labor. Kinda like a class project.
And everyone that wanted one would have one, shipping would kill ya tho from a hundered locations. What'd be even more neat? each person figure a way to sign the parts. Electro-etching?

I mean, that thing can bend angle iron, bend strap sideways. The shoe plans for them attachments are not in the plans I downloaded tho. I'd like to have one myself ( I could get rid of the American made chinese bender then).

CCWKen
08-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I've got a better project. How about everyone pick a fender, door, seat riser, top bow or hood section and build it for my '25 Ford project. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

wato
08-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Freight would kill it get it here. So how about you all just send me $10 each and I'll buy what I want. I'll even engrave your names on it.
Cheers.

Smokedaddy
08-17-2005, 02:14 AM
I think it's a cool idea as long as I get the first "completed" one! <grin> What are some of the little bitty thnigs you're talking about. Can they be purchased in bulk from Hossfield? I almost bought a new Hossfield locally yesterday.

-SD:

Your Old Dog
08-17-2005, 07:22 AM
Great idea if it weren't for the UPS guys deriving all the benefit from it! Too bad a bunch of local guys couldn't network so that the damn shipping wouldn't be such an issue?

madman
08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
The anual HSM pig roast at Daves place would be a great place to swap pieces and do some serious partying. Lets do it.

Wirecutter
08-17-2005, 12:50 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madman:
The anual HSM pig roast at Daves place would be a great place to swap pieces and do some serious partying. Lets do it.</font>

Count me in. I can offer to make a part or two, and I'll bring the first keg. When's a good time for everyone?

-M

ibewgypsie
08-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Cook-out? I'll inquire at the vet's office for some doggie tranqulizers. Thou, if you had a Newcastle brown beer he'd be your buddy.. till it was gone at least.

I sat depressed, in the old barber/tattoo chair in my shop. Feeling like crap, my dog buddy kept nudging me with the cold wet nose, standing next to me and placing his head in my lap. That nutty dog sure loves me.

My darned eyes, I bought a great monitor for the house, a $500 one I couldn't afford. Real clear, but the shop still has a old one, I have to print out the program, debug it in the house, try it out in the shop. Make notes on what it is doing, then bring it back into the house to fix it. A typo messed up a whole day trying to find it with blurry eyes. My press had went insane. It was all just one letter in the wrong place.

SO, this ideal is going over like a lead balloon.. perhaps.. Maybe later..

Rustybolt
08-17-2005, 01:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Smokedaddy:
I think it's a cool idea as long as I get the first "completed" one! &lt;grin&gt; What are some of the little bitty thnigs you're talking about. Can they be purchased in bulk from Hossfield? I almost bought a new Hossfield locally yesterday.

-SD:</font>

Post some drawings,dave. I'll make something.

ibewgypsie
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOSSFELD-2-BENDER-BENDER-ONLY-NO-DIESETS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ456 7881343QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD7V

I didn't realize they were so cheap.. this one is only Starting at $824.99, no dies.

Smokedaddy
08-17-2005, 01:50 PM
...... and this one is just down the street from me ......

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-HOSSFELD-2-BENDER-ONLY-LOWEST-ON-EBAY_W0QQitemZ7538205807QQcategoryZ42147QQcmdZView Item

-SD:

ibewgypsie
08-17-2005, 03:51 PM
12' lengths of cold-rolled 2&1/2"x1/2"=41.06 each. If I was geared up I could do probably twenty sets in a day.

Each side of the main frame is 30", 60" for it. 25 1/2" in the swinging frame.. SO a full length is needed with one remainder left over.

It has odd sized holes punched in it. I have 3/8,1/2,5/8 punches here. I hooked the ironworker up next to the cnc once.. had it feed the stock through the punch. That sure took the time out of centerpunching and holding metal onmark while the ram came down. I can't remember how I stopped the ironworker from rolling around tho? It is on casters.

I have a model3 I made to the hole spacing on my hossfield-3 I had. I have been planning on mounting it to the press. It is not exactly a copy tho, it is made from left over 3/4" thick cold roll and did not copy the outside shape exactly. I have had model3 dies/shoes in it.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

tattoomike68
08-17-2005, 05:17 PM
well dave if you have a building party for the boys back east, you might think about building an egg cracker, frier, toaster popper machine like on the old movie "chitty chitty bang bang" to feed the crew breakfast. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif lol

I bet you could do it too.

Last Old Dog
08-17-2005, 09:03 PM
ibewgypsie, I deal with both mental and eye fatigue so whilst proof reading papers and opinions, I employ 'Text to Speach' software. I dump the text to a printer (large font) thence have the computer audibly read the ASCII text file to me. This gives two simultaneous inputs, visual (from the printed text) and, hearing it. Easier for me to spot problems and mark for corrections. Additionally, I change the text colour in the editor to a medium blue, print in draft, grey scale with the black cartridge only, this reduces the contrast and harshness.
There are several programmes out there to perform this for you. Perhaps vision oriented web sites may steer you along.
Works for me, good luck to you.

C. Tate
08-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Watch that CR. If you use too tight a bend radius it will fracture. Happened to me several times.

madman
08-18-2005, 02:29 AM
I could get our cnc mill and laser to make parts at a reasonable price.

x39
08-18-2005, 07:53 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
my dog buddy kept nudging me with the cold wet nose, standing next to me and placing his head in my lap. That nutty dog sure loves me.</font>
Dave, take the old boy for a walk a couple of times a day and you'll both feel better. Trust me on this one.