PDA

View Full Version : Software?

JPR
08-18-2005, 03:27 AM
For fabricating brackets and such (not machining), are most people using software or drawing things by hand? If software, which one?

I ask because I am still making rough sketches and then full size templates out of poster board. Living in the stone age I guess. Being on bed rest for a few weeks, it would be nice to do some design work for a couple of projects.

This is a typical part photo (http://community.webshots.com/photo/413896373/413896373cPOyME)

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 08-18-2005).]

Your Old Dog
08-18-2005, 06:56 AM
I think most here that use software are using some pretty pricey stuff. My needs are very modest and I've been usingl Delta Cad. It's real basic but fills the bill for me. It's available online, just google for it. Seems to me it sells for on the order of $70.00.

If you gotta do some bedrest it 's a good time to acquire a new skill. Good Luck.

ogree
08-18-2005, 07:32 AM
I have been using Delta CAD for a great many years and never have had to bother with anything else.
If you buy it off their web site it sells for about $40.00.
Check ebay, you should be able to pick up a copy for about $5.00.
Delta CAD will also save files in a ".dxf" format which is compatible with Auto CAD.

JCHannum
08-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Pencil & paper here. It has worked for years, and will continue to work. Plus you can do it anywhere.

My shop is manual, and I have plenty of time, so it is not a problem with me. If I were twenty years younger, I probably would get involved, but at this point, I do not need any more clutter.

JPR
08-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the replies and the heads up on ebay, I bought a copy.
Jon

Paul Alciatore
08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, too late to recommend anything else.

CAD is great and I couldn't live without it. I learned drafting in high school but when I saw the first CAD program on a computer I knew it was an absolute must in my life. I have used several, including the pricey AutoCAD, Generic CAD, some simple drawing programs, and EasyCAD/FastCAD. I presently use FastCAD and love it. I don't have the 3D version yet - well, I haven't bought it yet but an using an evaluation copy. They allow 30 full days of free use so I am not a thief. Only thing stoppeing my buying it is I am considering some kind of CNC and I would want to be sure that whatever I buy next will be compatible with whatever CNC software I may wind up with.

Have fun and hope you are out of bed soon. It's hard to make chips in bed.

Paul A.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I plan to start using AutoCAD 2006 for my buggy project. You can download AutoCAD 2006 and use it for free for 30 days from Autodesk's website.

-Adrian