PDA

View Full Version : Wonder about that Haas lathe

lalatheman
08-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Have been thinking about that Haas "Toolroom" lathe and how hard it would be to learn to use. A

And if can really be used as a manual lathe too without a lot of horsing around.

David

Ries
08-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Go over to the practical machinist website, (www.practicalmachinist.com) and do a search on "Haas Lathe" and you will come up with several threads about them.
Most guys there who have them say that once you learn how to use them, you almost never use the manual function, as it is so easy to program. In fact, I have heard this about most manual/cnc hybrid lathes- that people buy them thinking they will want the manual controls, but then quickly find they never use them. And wish they had gone whole hog and gotten a bigger CNC lathe to begin with.

Haas has some detractors, who complain they are too light duty, or overpriced due to brand name, especially used, but most people who have them really like them, and they all say they are easy to learn to program.

Randolph
08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
I bought a Haas TL-1 a year ago and I have been really happy with it. Most of the people who complain about it being too light duty are expecting too much from it. It isn't a big machine. But it suits me fine for what I bought it for.