X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grannygear
    • Sep 2002

Gas in China

Here in Southern China (Guangdong) there's been a temporary gas shortage. That is, I think it's temporary. The major semi-private oil companies have been cutting off the supply, apparantly in an attempt to convince the central government to allow them to raise prices (again) to cover their operating costs.

The result has been about two weeks of madness. Rationing, long lines (kilometers long), fights, campouts (waits of up to 10 hours), riot police in some cases. If anyone finds a source of fuel they try to hoard it, or they call their buddies to come running and it's chaos. This is the richest part of China and it's sputtering to a standstill.

I think the gov't. has put the halt to this, however. Tomorrow the taps should come back on, no doubt through some very clear diplomatic discussions involving prison terms and execution for executives. Veto power.

But here's a question. I managed to siphon some gas from one of my friend's motorycles, and transferred it to mine. Just enough to keep me going for another day, which I augmented with half a bottle of STP gas treatment. So, in an emergency situation like this - how much STP can you add to a gas tank safely (proportionately)? Can I burn pure, undiluted gas treatment? What are the dangers??

The motor: single cylinder, 125 cc, water-cooled, 4 cycle, CVT. Ubiquitous scooter motor. Any ideas??

• fixxit
    • Sep 2002

What is the price of gas over there?

------------------
    457863656C73696F72202100
    457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

STP gas treatment is basically JP4 jet fuel. If you can burn kerosene it should be OK.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• madman
        • Sep 2004

You could add some alcohol. 20 percent of methyl hydrate. Two percent acetone by volume. If you end up distilling methyl alcohol you will need to enrich your fuel circuits. Homemade fuel is a viable option.

Comment

• Evan
          • May 2003

You could certainly stretch the gasoline using up to 20% methanol or even more ethanol or even isopropanol as well as the STP gas treatment. It depends on your engine. My old Land Rover will run on a 50/50 mix of gasoline and kerosene without adjustment.

Comment

• topct
            • Jan 2004

If you "stretch" gas you will have to use more throttle for any given speed/load. More throttle means more fuel.

In other words, yes you would have more fuel. But that fuel has less power.

------------------
            Gene
            Gene

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

The best info I can find on gas prices right now in China looks like about $1.90US per US gallon.

Comment

• grannygear
                • Sep 2002

Right now, for 93 octane, I'm paying $2.05 a gallon.

But the crisis is easing. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• dhammer
                  • Feb 2002

"prison terms and executions for executives"?? I bet that got their attention.

Comment

• grannygear
                    • Sep 2002

Well, I wasn't privy to the conference (I slept late, and no one called me!), but I can imagine it went down something like that. The politburo is the big dog, and anyone who rattles their cage too much will get their hands bit off. And nothing rattles their cage more than 1) screwing with the money-making machine (especially in Guangdong) and 2) Coping an attitude that you're bigger than the government.

The richest factory owners / industrialists live down here (and in Shanghai and Beijing). If a gas crunch starts to mess with their delivery vehicles, or the staff can't make it to work on time, or their raw materials are being held up by a 10-hour wait for gas - well, they'll all be picking up the phone and calling their friends in the politburo. Ah, to be a fly on the wall...

Comment

• hammerhead74000
                      • Feb 2005

I just paid 2.99 for 91 octane... and I drive a rather thursty V8...

Comment

Working...
                      X