PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Past THAT Birthday

gkman11
08-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Not telling which one, but its the one where you stop hearing the turn signal resulting in youngsters giving me obsene gestures after I drive a few miles with the left flashing.

Seriously, I checked at the Ford parts counter and JC whitney for a loud flaser and couldn't find one. Any Ideas?

matador
08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
You can get a cheap piezo buzzer at electronic stores for a few dollars,some of those are pretty loud.Insert in the line between the flasher and the dashboard indicator,and presto,1 "noisy" indicator.

------------------
Hans

alcova
08-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Back when I was in the military, some of the guys wired the flasher into the electrical part of an Low Air Warning buzzer on their trucks...alway though I could find a small buzzer and do the same thing if it got to be a problem for me.

Walt

jburstein
08-16-2005, 08:14 PM
oh is THAT why everyone drives around with their turn signals on?? I figured it was just because they were stupid... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

No seriously, I've noticed of the various cars I've driven Ford and GM cars have very quiet tickers. Don't know why this is, but until I found this out it had me believing that people who drive american cars are just plain stupider than people who drive foreign makes.

-Justin

CCWKen
08-16-2005, 08:22 PM
You could also try gluing an old spray can top to the flasher. That should act as an amplifier for the click.

It would be simple to add small buzzer. You will need to ground one side of the buzzer though. The other lead would be use to tap into the flasher circuit.

Your Old Dog
08-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I wonder'd why I was getting the finger all the time. Maybe that's my problem too !

Actually I had a hearing test and they tell me I've lost a lot of hearing off the high end and that hearing aides wouldn't be much help. I have a hard time hearing women. Unfortunately, the only thing I can clearly he women say is "no". What I wouldn't give to hear "yes" once in awhile.

I think it was war related. Too much partying at the EM club.

CompositeEngr
08-16-2005, 09:25 PM
I first noticed that I was leaving the flasher on when I was 24, so you can't be that old

Brian_h
08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Take an old car horn. Put a trailer wiring pigtail on it. Wire it so it sounds when your turn signals are on.

If I remember right It also sounds when you hit the brakes.

It also works on other peoples vehicles. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
My brother and I did this until we ran out of horns in our small junkyard.

J Tiers
08-16-2005, 10:02 PM
It's not just the flasher....

If the radio is on loud, or I turn up a Del McCoury CD, etc, etc I tend to not shift correctly. I must be going by engine sound, and if I don't hear it, I may head for red-line.

Tim Clarke
08-16-2005, 10:29 PM
The Ideal Electric Company used to make a loud flasher. Sorry, I don't remember the part number. Maybe the same birthday trouble you have!!!

Anyway, the only difference I remember was that there was about a 1/4" hole drilled in the housing. You might try that method. Several newer rigs I've looked at seem to use a different sort of flasher than the old standard 2 [or3] prong type that was common for about 30 years. So, the loud type might not fit anyway.

Regards, Tim

Evan
08-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Try a heavy duty flasher for trailer towing. They are louder.

CCWKen
08-16-2005, 11:45 PM
If all else fails, make sharper turns. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Old Time
08-17-2005, 12:12 AM
I have a 1940 Ford that is an old hot rod, it's hard to hear the blinker over the small block and being an old fart. The solution I found was to wire a small motorcycle horn into the circuit, its loud enough for me to hear but it doesn't bother the pedestrians.

bob308
08-17-2005, 09:04 AM
if the hearing is gone why not use the eyes wire two 2" red tail lights on the dash. then you would see if it was flashing.

lynnl
08-17-2005, 10:08 AM
It also doesn't help that the automakers tend to hide the visual blinker behind the steering wheel.
But, I bought a 2002 GMC last year and it will, after a certain time interval, start ringing a bell to alert me that the blinker is still on. I dislike most of the extra gadgetry on modern vehicles, but that feature is nice to have.

x39
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
I have a hard time hearing women. .</font>
Lucky SOB. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

charlie coghill
08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
I have a 93 dodge truck that I have a pizo alarm conected up. First I conected one wire to the load side of the flasher and the other to ground. Buzzed all the time, some how current is feed to the tail light all the time but they are not lit.

Next I soldered one wire of the pizo alarm to the supply side of the flasher and the other wire to the load side of the flasher. Now it works great.

You can adjust the sound on mine by sliding a small plastic srip over the hole in the alarm.

I think radio shack would be a good place to fine the alarm and probably a auto parts store.
Charlie

bob308
08-18-2005, 07:44 AM
i have not been able to hear the trun signels since i was 18 i am 55 now.

Norman Atkinson
08-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Bob,

You have only 20 years to go- to catch up with my hearing problems.

Pardon, Eh?

It's a b******

Norm

John Stevenson
08-19-2005, 04:57 AM
What???????

IOWOLF
08-19-2005, 06:37 AM
SOME Cycles have a louder buzzer when a certain speed is achieved.