PDA

View Full Version : BOAT ANCHOR FOR SALE

IOWOLF
08-13-2005, 08:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/KEARNEY-TRECKER-3CH-VERTICAL-MILLING-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ7538208012QQcategoryZ12584QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But the price is right,LOL

Milacron of PM
08-13-2005, 08:46 PM
To be more precise, this would be a "mooring weight", as it's anchoring payout and retrieval characteristics would be problematic on most boats under 300 feet LOA http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

imakechips
08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Why exactly is this a "boat anchor"? It appears to be in usable condition, and with a 10 HP spindle you aren't likely to bog it down anytime soon, unlike a wimpy 2 HP Bridgeport. As a plus, it appears to use a CAT 30 or 40 taper with drive lugs-no slipping or sprung collets to deal with. I'm sure shipping costs would eat your "mechanical therapy" budget, but the price is right!

Milacron of PM
08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
It may in fact be a good machine, but the fact that it's for sale from a machinery dealer with zero indication of machine condition would indicate a high probability there is something wrong with the machine...either excessive wear or something internal broke or both. *Any*thing seriously wrong with a large mill of that vintage would make it essentially worthless.

So, it's not that all mills like that are mooring weights, but simply a high probablity that that particular one is.

radish1us
08-14-2005, 12:02 AM
Gee, it's only an ole' mill, thought you lot had come up with a good use for a harley!!!!!!!!!!

chief
08-14-2005, 04:33 AM
If anyone buys it let me know, I have a set of large cutters (new) for it, free.

.RC.
08-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Square slide one side dovetail the other on the Y axis...Not something you see every day....

Mcgyver
08-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Ringer i saw that to. my conditioned response to old machines "I can do that" waivered a little on thinking how the heck would that be scraped in. oh well, i'll have to give someone else the pleasure.

GregC
08-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't think it's that bad a deal ...for $1 or even $100 it has a lot of parts someone could use....hell that indexable face mill is probably worth a few bucks.

Paul Alciatore
08-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Six tons! If I put it in my garage, likely sideways, I would create a sink hole that the whole house would fall down. Any you would need a hoist to do any work on it. A bit too big for the home or small shop. And a larger company would likely want something newer.

It may not sell.

Paul A.

spope14
08-14-2005, 02:16 PM
This may not be the proper forum, but here goes. I post here because these are school items, and not for my personal profit. In fact, a break even or even a loss would be fine at this point. I hope this is acceptable...... I would like to fid them homes with those who I think would appreciate them.

I have a semi boat anchor for sale, a Nakamura Tome Slant 2 CNC Lathe - circa 1986. Need it out of my shop by early October. Only problem - master board is gone, cost to repair would be $3800.00 installed and tuned - less by probably 1000.00 or better for someone who could put the board in right to start. My problem is the school budget to repair the board - not there, and now a donation of a machine to replace it. The donation is on hold until the machine is off the floor - I need the hole.

Price is right I suppose, I don't have any idea of what to charge but for maybe $1500.00 for the 5-C collett chuck that is on the machine, and maybe $600.00 to cover the CRT I put in last November.

There is also a Fexac Horizontal mill for sale in my shop. many cutters and arbors are available with it.

Kind of a catch 22 developed. No money to fix the machine, have to sell something to get the money, the only thing I can sell is the machine.

Then the second catch 22 - we have a Miyano double spindle and turrett lathe coming in, have to get rid of the machine to make the hole. A local company or two has these machines, and rather than donate to a machine past training viability, they wanted to donate something with a ten year potential life span for training.

You have to move them. The alternative at this point is selling them to the local metal yard to be chipped up and the iron sold to China.

as I said, profit is not the motive here, but rather saving them as machine tools, and giving a chance to others who might like them. Would like to break even on tooling put in the lathe.

I can't use e-bay with a school account.

IOWOLF
08-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Well I will allow you to hijack My thread to
sell something. Only becouse it is for a good couse new equipment for the kids,However the price is to high start it at a dollar(what it is worth) and you may get a bite on it.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

egpace
08-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Scope14,
Auction off a small item related to the equipment, ie a copy of the manual or ?. This can give you leads to potential buyers.
Ed

cnccnc
08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
spope14,
where in this great country are these gems located?

JCHannum
08-14-2005, 07:33 PM
As far as using eBay for a school account, more and more localities, and even some states are selling their surplus items on eBay. It might be well worth looking into.

I seem to recall a post a while back on this or the PM site from whoever is doing the airport security selling the scissors, nail clippers and other items confiscated at check in. They had the good pocket knives listed separately.

Maybe if you talked it over with the mayor?

Milacron of PM
08-15-2005, 12:55 AM
I'd be very interested in the Miyano twin spindle turning center....oh wait, that's what you're gonna keep isn't it ?

psomero
08-15-2005, 02:06 AM
holy crap! that's right down the road from me

spope14
08-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Answers - Claremont, NH
Keeping the Miyano
I avoid using e-bay because the school was burned on it last year. Might have to go that route though.

imakechips
08-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I can see your point Mr. Thomas, I thought of the same thing when I looked at the description, but sending an email or picking up a telephone might yield some useful info on whether it would be operable as is or not.

IOWOLF
08-15-2005, 06:08 PM
For a HSM it is still a BOAT ANCHOR.
No HSM would or should even think about it, 8" thick concrete min. plus $2000 to move it any distance.

psomero
08-16-2005, 01:42 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
plus $2000 to move it any distance.</font>

even 10 miles? this is literally down the road from me...

$1 bid is waaay too tempting...

IOWOLF
08-16-2005, 04:43 AM
OK, only $1000 then.

JCHannum
08-16-2005, 06:56 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
OK, only $1000 then.</font>

Then add the cost of providing a service to feed that 10HP 3 phase motor.

Milacron of PM
08-16-2005, 09:14 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No HSM would or should even think about it, 8" thick concrete min. plus $2000 to move it any distance</font>

Although 6 inch would be desirable, I once had a Cincinnati no. 4 vertical of similar weight on a standard 4 inch pad, which I used for 6 years, and don't recall any problems.

Re moving cost, if you mean strictly "moving", the machine could be trucked from coast to coast for about $1,600. Minimum semi trucking, even for 10 miles, would probably be in the $500 range. But if you mean moving (a long distance) and *rigging*, then yeah, could be even more than $2,000.

If you happen to have a 3/4 to 1 ton pickup with dual dandem gooseneck trailer you can haul it yourself of course.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/load.jpg

Mcgyver
08-16-2005, 10:25 AM
naw you don't need an 8" floor, thats for handling the point loads of a 30' rack full of dies or 40ton coils stacked 4 or 5 high. 6 tons is not high by industrial standards - think of th point loads created on rack systems and thats usually only a 6" floor and the weight is spread out on this puppy. imo the only reason 4" wouldn't work is there's the possibility that that 4" floor is really 6 in places and 2 in others - then again whats underneath the floor matters more.

psomero, the reasons for not buying are being knocked down like bowling pins!

psomero
08-16-2005, 11:18 AM
hmmm.... my buddy's dad has a huge f350 with a v10 and it's rated for towing 12500 lbs according to the ford website...

psomero
08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
AND we have a friend who has garage space, a desire to own ridiculous machinery, and lives approximately a mile from this place. this is starting to scare me...

psomero
08-16-2005, 01:08 PM
yeah, i know it's a lost cause. a kid can have unrealistically high hopes once in a while, though, right?

on a more realistic note: i think i finally found a motor that'll fit my milling machine...

opua
08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:
If anyone buys it let me know, I have a set of large cutters (new) for it, free.</font>

opua
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:
If anyone buys it let me know, I have a set of large cutters (new) for it, free.</font>

I have a Cincinnati Cinova with 50 taper spindle, I'd be interested in the offer of tooling if you'd care to let me know details.
Cheers,
Paul Z

Milacron of PM
08-16-2005, 02:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">hmmm.... my buddy's dad has a huge f350 with a v10 and it's rated for towing 12500 lbs according to the ford website... </font>

Ford rates them conservative for liability, warranty and legal reasons. I've towed 19,000 lbs with my F350 with 6.0 diesel a few times and could still go 80 mph on the interstate with pedal to spare. Plenty of braking power on the dual tandems (8 wheels) with Dexter oil bath axles too.

I have hauled 11,000 lb mills on a standard dual axle (4 wheels) trailer before but in that senario you're right at the outer limits of the trailer axles, tires and brakes, so not the safest thing...but for 10 miles would be fine.

Milacron of PM
08-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Another thought for just 10 miles would be to hire a rollback car hauler to do it for you. Not the 1 ton type, but the larger 2 ton size or a Freightliner cab type. Plenty of those around...used in hauling disabled vans and full size pickups. Would be preferable to have steel rather than aluminum bed, if nothing else for stronger tie down points.

Even better still, a rollback forklift hauler with dual tandem axles, but they are harder to hire out for odd jobs and would probably cost more.

beckley23
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
You really want to see that machine under power before bidding. Engage all 3 feeds then engage the rapids, if you get a clicking sound from the right side of the column,and no rapids, walk away from it. That clutch is next to impossible to fix, don't ask how I know.
Harry

IOWOLF
08-17-2005, 06:33 AM
I stand by my comment.

Milacron of PM
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
I am D. Thomas and I approve of this thread.

IOWOLF
08-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Yea, Whatever.

WGAF.

andy_b
08-17-2005, 09:38 PM
i can't believe you guys wimped out!!!! you could power that with a 15HP RPC (and probably a 10HP one as long as you didn't take 0.9" off with each pass). i saw a similar horizontal mill for sale near me two years ago (it may have even been a Model 3***). when the 10HP motor was fired up it just hummed. no vibration or loud noises. it seemed solid, to say the least.

if you had a way to haul it for a few bucks, i would've bid $5 on it and gambled.

andy b.

Milacron of PM
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
"i can't believe you guys wimped out!!!!"

I can't believe YOU wimped out if you think it's so great http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

pete913
08-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Ha. Really I have no experience with this exact machine, but if it's anything like the Cincinnati no 3 we used to have, "hum" is not a word I'd use to describe the noises it made in operation. More like 'jet engine at full takeoff power', get your earplugs and muffs out. You'd literally have to scream at someone running it to get their attention, and parts, well lets just say you'd better hope you never need one, plus it'd dim the lights on an entire residential block in a home shop. 30hp,and 480v at about 50 amps if I remember right, and that was just the spindle motor.

andy_b
08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:

I can't believe YOU wimped out if you think it's so great http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif </font>

on the horizontal version i looked at, the guy was asking $1500. it came with a B-port vertical head attachment and AT LEAST 500 pounds of tooling. it happened to be the FIRST milling machine i seriously went to look at when starting my quest, and seeing it was quite overwhelming for a newbie. while i would still not buy one for $1500 today, i would at least consider one for a lower cost.

the only reason i didn't give more thought to this one is because the shipping from CA to PA would be a bit more than the $5 i would've bid.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

L Webb
08-19-2005, 02:37 PM
That seller is screwed if it sells for a buck.
He states in the add he will pay half the cost to load it on a truck. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

Les