PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Skype here ?

John Stevenson
08-17-2005, 07:21 PM
http://www.skype.com/

Thinking about getting it setup.

John S.

NiftyNev
08-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm in Australia and heard about it recently.I've downloaded it but still not used it.Still checking it out.Others down here say it's very good.

Nev

motorworks
08-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Very soooon!
e
ps Cut down on me bill when I calls ya

Mcgyver
08-17-2005, 08:32 PM
in july i had occaison to use it all lot between france and canada, and was amazed at the quality - didn't seem like there were any delays or clipping. the telco's must be quaking

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 08-17-2005).]

BillH
08-17-2005, 09:06 PM
I've been using it to talk to a friend in Norway.

Bruce Griffing
08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't use Skype, but I do use VOIP for my regular telephone service. This (packet8) gets me unlimited North American calling for $21 a month. It works well.

Your Old Dog
08-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I use Instant Messinger twice a week from East coast West. We frequently use the cameras as well but the audio only is more reliable.

sch
08-18-2005, 05:14 AM
The phone companies are working hard on methods to negate such as Skype. A friend demoed it for me and it was pretty good for a local call, he reported several calls from Europe with equally good results, calls on a random basis from other Skype users wanting to talk to someone.
Steve

Peter S
08-18-2005, 06:00 AM
At work, everyone who makes overseas calls (eg design office, software, service, sales etc) has been using Skype for the last 6-12 months, they all have these headsets plugged into their computers.
At any one time there are 10+ guys spread around the world, so it seems like a great thing, eg replacing the frequent and long calls to techies and installers on sites all around the world.

Peter S
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
John,
I should of added, the Skype to Skype calls seem to be good, and that is what they are mainly used for at work, between staff around the world. However, it sounds like Skype to landline calls can sometimes be bad, sometimes ok, bit of a lottery.
I don't have personal experience of using it however.

Phil McCrackin
08-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I switched my phone service to an internet based service called Vonage. It was kind of a pain to set up originally, but after about an hour with their tech help, I did get it working. There are certain drawbacks like the 911 "no guarantee it will work" clause, and somtimes the reception is not perfect. The price is right though, I was getting $65.00-$75.00 phone bills, but with their basic plan, my current bill is $21.00 and that includes all taxes and everything.

fixxit
08-20-2005, 12:17 AM
I have installed Skype, used it for a few months, and it works quite well.

I have a few friends who use Skype and we occasionally chat.

The basic way that I use it, is somewhat like AOL messager, in that it alerts you when your friends are on line. You can choose to contact them or not.
The audio quality is quite good. The software uses your audio card and a plug in electret microphone.

Most of the time I set my status to "invisible", so as not to be disturbed when I am working on the computer.

The software works very well and creates no problems.
It is not a substitute for the telephone company for local and emergency calls.

It IS GREAT for talking to distant friends who have installed Skype and are on the internet at the same time as you are.

There are other ways to use it for generalized long distance calls, but I have not used or investigated them.

Fixxit

------------------
457863656C73696F72212020466C69636B206C6976657300

[This message has been edited by fixxit (edited 08-22-2005).]

Mcgyver
08-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't know the details becuase i didnt set it up, but it doesn't have to be both peeps sitting at a computer. my partner would phone me on a skype phone in france and it would ring on my desk phone in toronto. there is a nominal cost, like$.001minute to convert VOIP to teleco, but the interent replaced the long distance leg.