PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Bees

larry_g
08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
This afternoon while taking a ride on the ivory throne and perusing the latest Readers Digest came across an article where a fellow uses a vacuum on a truck to suck prairie dogs out of there burrows. As that light goes on above the head me thinks that may work for bee's also. I've been watching the bee's come and go from my foundation so wondered if the shop vacuum would get them. Tried it out and after about 1 hour no more bee's flying in and out. I think that I've sucked up a majority of them. Will see tomorrow. I have a nagging desire to open the vacuum but so far have resisted.
lg
no neat sig line

Paul Alciatore
08-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Hear, hear!

I would take a can of Raid and point it into the hose for about 10-20 seconds. Then Shut it off quickly. That should get any survivors.

On the prairie dog thing, wouldn't the local SPCA get you for that? Or is it humane?

Paul A.

egpace
08-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I think the idea sucks! One suggestion though, borrow your neighbors shop vac the next time. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
Ed

Mcgyver
08-19-2005, 09:52 PM
That’s one of the funniest things I've ever heard of! Vacuuming up ground hogs!!

Can we get an urban version that'll vacuum up gangster hoodlums? A whole new meaning to politician's decrees to clean up the streets

CCWKen
08-19-2005, 09:56 PM
If they're bees, sell them or let them go away from the house--Far away. If they're wasps, kill the crap out of 'em. (That is unless you have lots of spiders around.) I go wasp hunting at dusk or dawn. Wasps and bees need the sunlight to find their way back to the nest so they're less likely to leave the nest and "get you".

Watch spraying that wasp killer into a running vacuum. Most of it is flamable and the vapor will get drawn right over your sparking motor brushes. Wait until night and open the lid and spray.

snowman
08-19-2005, 09:59 PM
most beekeepers wont come near a house. you run a small risk of a spark coming out of the smoker and smouldering for many hours...then finally catching a house on fire. Plus, if they are in your foundation, you will have a diffuclt time getting the queen out.

Vac works...just leave it alone for a couple days. They'll die naturally. If not, at least start a smokey fire and suck the smoke only...then open it and nail them with spray.

-Jacob

wierdscience
08-19-2005, 10:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:

Watch spraying that wasp killer into a running vacuum. Most of it is flamable and the vapor will get drawn right over your sparking motor brushes. Wait until night and open the lid and spray.</font>

Haha ...saw a guy try to suck up gasoline with a wet/dry http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Werner VonBraun would have been proud http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Furnace
08-19-2005, 10:27 PM
The truck that guy uses to suck up prairie shoots them onto some foam and they land unharmed. I saw it on discovery channel i think.

wierdscience
08-19-2005, 10:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Furnace:
The truck that guy uses to suck up prairie shoots them onto some foam and they land unharmed. I saw it on discovery channel i think.</font>

Ya,seems he sells them to the Japanese for pets,good work if you can get it.

spope14
08-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Seems I saw the shop vac thing on WMUR TV in NH a bit back, about a week and 1/2. If I am mistaken, well, so be it. Sounds like a good idea, but for the raid in the canister.

I have these little orange bugs all over my garage back outer wall - Boxelder bugs or something like that. They come out by the millions about end of Aug through October. Been hitting them with can after can of ant killer - anything else they seem to just love me to spray on them, kind of like a food source..... I will try the shop vac idea, might help to gt the little buggers out of the crevaces.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-19-2005, 10:45 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:

Watch spraying that wasp killer into a running vacuum. Most of it is flamable and the vapor will get drawn right over your sparking motor brushes. Wait until night and open the lid and spray.</font>

Mythbusters tried to explode a vacuum by letting it suck gasoline.. They tried, and tried, and tried many different vacuums and configurations. They busted the myth and couldn't get any ignition at all.

Eventually they took the vacuum apart and was able to ignite raw fuel if they poured it on the brushes...

The Doctor
08-19-2005, 10:59 PM
I feel that some more advice needs to be posted in this thread.

First piece of advice-while I'm sure it is obvious you need to block the hosts of the bees don't walk back out, what is not obvious is you have to get them out of the vacuum fairly quickly. I speak from a friend's experience here. Several years back, he had an infestation of flies in his house, and being a fairly smart guy he figured he could suck them up with the wet dry vacuum. What he didn't figure out was that each fly is a tiny little piece of meat. Several days later, there is an awful smell coming from the wet and dry Vac, it smelled a bit like there is a dead groundhog inside. Apparently, once those flies start decomposing, they stink as bad as any other rotting animal. It was so disgusting he ended up throwing out a fairly late-model vacuum.

Piece of advice number two-don't believe everything you see on Mythbusters. I agree with many of their conclusions, but sometimes I think that bus to myth a little bit too fully. While I think there are many occasions on which you could suck up gas and not get an explosion, I would not risk it. There is very definitely a source of ignition in the vacuum, in the form of the motor sparking brushes. The only reason the gas won't normally ignite is that the airflow quantity is great enough to keep the vapor concentration too low. If a situation were to arise where you got extremely good fuel atomization and vaporization, or something restricted the airflow a bit, there is still a fairly good chance of a fire and/or explosion. Also keep in mind that most of those vacuum cleaners draw fresh air through the motor, not the air from the dirt bucket. So, they may be blowing a sufficiently gas laden airstream out, but it does not go past the brushes to ignite. If you are to do the same thing in an enclosed area, it may fill the entire area with a high enough gas concentration to ignite, and then you would deftly have a big bang. I would never use any of their findings to suggest it is anyway safe to deal with gasoline around a source of ignition.

Ed

Michael Az
08-19-2005, 11:06 PM
I guess in Oregon the killer bees haven't arrived yet like here in Az. All our honey bees a considered Africianized now. The best way to kill them is to put some soapy water in your garden sprayer and spray them at night. They breath through their bodys and the soap will suffocate them. Very sad but we have to kill any near enough to do damage. You had better get rid of them before they build a honeycome or you will be tearing your house apart to find it.
Michael

RobertLC
08-19-2005, 11:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Watch spraying that wasp killer into a running vacuum. Most of it is flamable and the vapor will get drawn right over your sparking motor brushes. Wait until night and open the lid and spray.[/B]</font>

I'm against waiting until dark. I'd do what Paul suggested, spraying Raid into the hose for 10-20 seconds. If the Raid doesn't kill the bees, the explosion will! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-19-2005, 11:36 PM
I think spraying anything into a vacuum is like playing the lottery... 1 in a million you might get a bang http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

-Adrian

Arcane
08-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Many years ago a guy I knew blew up his mother`s vacuum trying to clean gravel out of the gas tank on his car. His little kids had spent a considerable time transferring the driveway to his Dodge`s gastank. He got all worried about it and took it off and tried to dump it out, but couldn`t get it totally empty. Out came the vacuum and he definitely blew it to hell when the fumes hit the brushes. It isn`t a myth.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Winning the loto isn't a myth either. It does happen http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-20-2005, 12:38 AM
I had a hard enough time trying to ignite gasoline inside of a sealed can with a broken lightbulb. Only the absolute right Air mix/concentration would ignight. Ultimatly, I had to seal the container, Shake up the gas really well, let it sit in the sun and expand until the container would bulge, and then it would always go off.. If it was cold, forget it.. If the can was not hot, it would never never go off no matter how much I shook the gas inside..

I'd love to see someone ignite gas with a vacuum. I would be shocked. Try igniting gas with a cig.. even harder.

Evan
08-20-2005, 01:48 AM
A few summers ago we noticed we had a lot of wasps in the yard so it was time to find the nest. We looked everywhere, to no avail. Finally, near dusk we discovered it. They had colonized the underside of one of our doghouses, by the thousands. This posed a real problem. How to remove the nest without getting killed? Poison was out of the question, it being a doghouse. I don't like poison anyway. I finally hit on the answer. I have an electric leaf vacuum/blower. I removed the bag and put the end of the vacuum attachment right by the entrance hole of the nest, quietly and carefully. I strung out a 100 foot extension cord and retreated that distance. I plugged in the cord and leaf sucker sprang to life. The wasps came boiling out of the nest only to be inhaled by the vacuum, shredded in the impeller and spit out in a fine haze of wasp parts. As it was evening it also captured all the wasps returning to the nest as well. After about one hour no more wasps were observed. The ground at the exhaust end of the vac had a peculiar look and smell. This technique has a 100% kill rate and as I was 100 feet away they were not able to identify the source of their trouble. Worked like a charm.

lynnl
08-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Here's a trick for catching yellow jackets, and probably any other ground dwellers. It does require free access to the hole:

Place a large, clear glass bowl centered over the hole. You need to leave a slight gap between edge of bowl and ground to permit new arrivals access to the hole. Normally there'll be enought twigs and vegetative debris present to create that gap anyway.
When the bees leave the hole they only know to fly upward toward the light. They're not sophisticated enough to crawl downward and escape under the bowl's edge. Yet those arriving will keep searching til they find a spot they can crawl under ...stupid bees! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Once you've got 'em all corraled, you can then slip up there with your bee spray and terminate 'em.

My wife read that somewhere a few years back, and I tried it and it worked great.
Here where my house is located is the most yellow jacket infested area I've ever seen. I got into a nest a few years back and got stung 26 times that I could count. I had a bad day! (followed by 8 or 9 more bad days of pain and itching)

I like all of God's creatures EXCEPT YELLOW JACKETS!! If they go extinct, I'll say good riddance.

One other little trick: If you can apply it right away, a poultice made of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer will work wonders to alleviate the pain of insect stings. I learned that from a pharmacist a couple of hours after my 26 stings. But it was too late then. But I've used it since, with great effectiveness.

Evan
08-20-2005, 03:46 AM
I got stung a couple of weeks ago on the lower lip. I looked like Angelina Jolie for a couple of days. (well, maybe a few differences http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif )

GregC
08-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Evan, do you have any photos?

Here's the damndest thing....if you can see the bees' nest, just take a garden sprayer and fill it with water. Then squirt in some dishwashing soap. Pump it up and spray the bees. No anger on their part, they just die and they do it faster than bug spray.

Apparently the soap clogs up their breathing or? Whatever it does, it drops 'em like small pebbles.

QSIMDO
08-20-2005, 07:39 AM
There's a fella up in our area of CT who collects them to sell to labs and such.

From what I hear he gets all suited up at dusk, waits for the bees to return then sucks them up in a vac and freezes them to kill and preserve.

Won't even come around if you've tried to use bug sprays.

I ran out of the 25' blast wasp spray the other day and grabbed a can of choke cleaner with the tube in the nozzle.

With the wasp spray they writhe and convulse for several seconds before the end.
The choke cleaner blew 'em right out of the sky, dead as Kelsey's nuts before they hit the ground.
If nothing else I at least don't have to buy 2 products.

torker
08-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Ha...a favourite subject of mine! I also hate yellow jackets. I got into a nest while at the top of a 20 foot ladder once...they hit me right in the eyes so hard that I fell off the ladder. I've been on a mission to get even ever since.
I have a 30 foot long cinder block retaining wall just above my shop. Every two years or so the hornets will build a big nest deep in the wall. They think they are very clever. They are safe...until they try to chase me around.
Such fun....I found that If I pour a couple of cups of gasoline down in the cracks up above the nest....let it sit for 5 minutes or so until the fumes get into everything, then throw a match into the bottom cracks!
Wow! You get a nice big "Whump" For some time there are hornets crawling out, with no wings. Now we are on even terms...I win the wrestling...er...stomping match. I don't think I'd try this in a foundation...well maybe http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
The ground hog story is good. I have a far more bizzare one.
In the early 80's I worked at the old Cominco Fertilizer plant. There was this funny young guy working in maintenance that used to amuse us all.
Once he backed a loader over a fire hydrant, another time he was caught popping wheelies with one of the lawn tractors...right in front of the head office windows. They had reflective glass and I guess he forgot that the bosses inside could see out http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
They had a real problem with gophers in their nice big lawn out front. This kid was a farm kid so they figured he'd know how to deal with gophers so they asked him to get rid of them....and did he!!!
He took a 100# bottle of propane, attached a Tiger torch to it, opened it up and stuck it down one of the holes. He then ran around to the other holes and sniffed the entrance until he could smell propane, then he shoved a bunch of dirt into the hole. He did this to all the holes he could find...then lit the torch and waved it over the open holes.
It was incredible...the burrows exploded and blew strips of pretty lawn everywhere. It was unreal to see the paths from the burrows that it exposed. All this mess and the gophers got away. All it did was singe a bunch of hair off them but they all ran away just fine.
And John...no..they couldn't even fire him. Too much union protection!
Oh yes, the hornets again. Just the other day I had another battle with some. I bought some new stuff from Canadian Tire. It's foam that'll easily spray 15 feet. Very neat stuff. You shoot it up near the hornets and the foam grows and fills any cavities. The bugs get into this foam and are done! I like it!
Ooops...kinda longwinded but I love the subject http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Russ

Norman Atkinson
08-20-2005, 07:46 AM
I think that this topic has been flogged before!

For those of a timid nature, might I suggest the engineer's all purpose WD-40?

Point at bees or wasps, and ignite with a cigarette lighter.

Bit like cornflakes-
Snap, crackle and POP.

Norman

Your Old Dog
08-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Keep in mind that Bee feces is very toxic/poisenous. Folks have died from "yellow rain" That might mean it would be a good idea to powerwash the shop vac before using it much.

edited to change "****" to the more politically correct "feces"

Also, Evan, I'm really disappointed in you. Honestly, a whimp electric leaf blower! I had you figured for a High Performance 327 maybe 3 deuces in progressive linkage sitting high atop a Idelbrock Intake........etc http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Anything less shouldn't be able to share garage space with the Road Grader!

Torker: Thanks for the belly laugh! It's been a long time since I had one. SWMBO thinks I went around the bend http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 08-20-2005).]

topct
08-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I have an old sandblast gun. It's a syphon type , looks like a paint sprayer. I fill it with a product called Seven. You can get it either powdered or liquid. The powder will mix with water. I put a 3 ft extension on it and it will blast out about ten feet.

The stuff is amazing. It can go into holes in foundations or under rocks whatever, and it doesn't matter if it gets them directly. Anywhere it's at it gets on the legs and suffocates them.

This product is also a great flee killer on animals and carpets. It's safe enough even for tropical birds. The last time I used it in my house I didn't see one single spider or other crawly creature for a couple of years.

------------------
Gene

torker
08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Gene...That Seven stuff...what is it? Is it for killing bugs or something else?
YOD...glad you also found John funny!

topct
08-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Torker, yup. And you can use it in the garden and on the lawn.

It's made out of some kind of plant material and is about the safest thing Iv'e ever found.

It is NOT a poison. It kills by suffocation.

One note, if you use it on carpeting go very easy on it. It is a little sticky and a little dusty, but it vaccumes right up.

------------------
Gene

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 08-20-2005).]

J Tiers
08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
I thought "Sevin" WAS poisonous.....

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/cadusafos-cyromazine/carbaryl/

For ground bees, if you stamp the hole shut, and then drop a good-sized piece of metal or plastic etc over it, they often starve out before they manage to dig out. Maybe ours are wusses....

One of the few things WD40 is good for is killing wasps. very quick.

As far as the exploding vac (actually they just shoot fire, usually).... mythbusters are wrong, and not for the first time.

It depends on the vacuum, though. SOME have a separate air path for cooling, some do not. The old type with the whole thing in a metal pail do not. Newer ones tend to have separate cooling.

A relative is a chemist. his lab assistant once vacuumed up some solvent. My relative had to cut power, since teh assistant had his back to the vacuum canister and didn't see the fire shooting up. That fried the vacuum, I have seen it.

Mythbusters are not technical.... I saw one on something to do with sparks or lightning. I don't recall the details, but there was a question about lightning striking the head, or some such.....

Anyway, they went to a lot of trouble to make accurate shaped head models for the test.....

Trouble is, they made them of NON-CONDUCTING PLASTIC!

Right....people conduct electricity, their test model did not.... and the question involved sparks /electricity.... so how valid a "test" is that?

Then there was the log cannon one.... There they screwed up in a different way, forgetting "stave cannons", and assuming it had to be bored out of the solid. IIRC they decided it could not have been done as the old story had it.

Nope, it's maybe good TV, but "mythbusters" isn't very conclusive or convincing.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 08-20-2005).]

topct
08-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Jtiers, yes after reading that I aggree. It should be used with the cautions that come with it.

It is however still the safest thing Iv'e found as far as an insecticide.

------------------
Gene

larry_g
08-20-2005, 03:20 PM
In regards to the smell of dead bee's I learned that lesson after killing a bee's (Yellow Jacket) nest that was under the cab of the combine in the recycle cover. The whole season was like riding with a dead animal in the cab. I also had the experience of falling a tree with a honey bee nest in it. I got a bee keeper to come out to remove the hive in the tree so I could down it for firewood. He said the tree had to come down first so he could get to the hive which was in the trunk and partially below ground. He suited me up in the bee suit and headcover and I went to sawing. That was the most un-natural thing I've ever done. Soon the bee's were atacking the saw and my hands. The smell of the venom was acrid. Any way got the tree down and the bee keeper was able to get the hive and bee's.

I see very little activity today around the hole and managed to put a shot of spray in the running vacuum without any excitement.
lg
no neat sig line

egpace
08-20-2005, 04:17 PM
I've used Isopropyl Alcohol on 2 occasions to kill yellow jackets in the ground. Just take a pint container, remove the cap, turn it over and stuff the neck in the hole. Both times I had complete success. It never seemed to do any harm to the surrounding vegetation. I keep a spray bottle in the house for the occasional stray wasps and yellow jackets that find their way in. Not nearly as quick as Wasp & Hornet killers, as you need to pretty much soak them, (Three shots or so) but the considering how chemically safe it is in comparison to other insecticides I’ll swear by it. Just don’t try to take on a whole nest with a sprayer bottle. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif
Bee Careful,
Ed

Roverian
08-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Some years down here the wasps seem to be especially aggressive - I'm not sure what it is about me minding my own business swimming in my pool but it's obviously irresistible to them.

I've had satisfaction getting up close and personal with a garden spray bottle filled with kerosene once you find their nest.

I understand, like bees, wasps release a pheromone that sends them into attack mode when provoked. I've tried experimenting by annoying one and watching what happens - they certainly seem to come running

Boomer
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
We have yellow jackets hoarding the humming bird feeders so I got the shop vac and the two piece extension and just suck em up from about four feet away. Haven't been stung yet, they aren't the smartest critters. I must have a hundred in there so far. Speaking of not to smart, I accidently pulled the top off the vac when I went to get it yesterday morning, fortunatly they must've all croaked overnite.

This spring I picked up an old Crossman .22 cal pellet rifle (one dollar, how could I refuse?) at a yard sale. sure works good on flies a minquitoes in the shop...no pellet, just a little oil mist.

Bruce

x39
08-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Yellow Jackets are very beneficial insects. If they're not nesting in a spot that's inconvenient, I leave them alone. Unfortunately... By the way, if you get a chance and can catch one alive or find an intact dead specimen, take the time to examine one under magnification, they really are magnificent little creatures.

Peter S
08-20-2005, 05:10 PM
If you find a wasp nest in the ground, pour a little petrol in, after dark, then put a shovelful of dirt over the hole. Thats it. Do not light the fuel!

Admittedly not as impressive as some of the other 'cures'....but it works.

I have put a little squirt of insect aerosol spray up a suckuum cleaner a couple of times, always been a bit worried about a potential explosion! Seems a bit risky inside a building.

halac
08-20-2005, 08:44 PM
I've used the vacuum trick on various types of insects. I have found that after being in the container of the vac for a couple of minutes or so, the swirling action of the air flow within the bucket removes all of their legs and wings if they have them. Not much they can do in that condition. Kinda like the Black Knight of the Bridge in the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C. , www.teampyramid.com (http://www.teampyramid.com)

neonman
08-20-2005, 09:18 PM
I had a nest of hornets in an exterior wall of my shop once. I could beat on the wall, and it would just vibrate from within. After trying several things, I finally bought a bottle of household ammonia. I corked it up and drilled a hole in the wall and ran a small plastic tube into the wall from the bottle. After a few days, no more hornets. they all just left. cost around $1.00

neonman

darryl
08-20-2005, 10:11 PM
When I used to do tv antenna work, I'd run into wasp nests. We had a spray can of Whiz- rust remover. It would shoot a pretty tight stream about 20 ft, so that was the weapon of choice then. It was a good rust remover AND a good bug spray.
You guys have given me some ideas to try now- inhaling gasoline fumes with the vac, infusing propane into gopher holes- ya bunch of pyros! (me too).

Since the bee problem has been pretty well covered, I have a good ant story. I had ants, lots of them, and I didn't do anything about it since they stayed outside and were'nt a bother. One day I noticed that thousands of them were lined up in semi-circular fashion on the sidewalk just off my steps. There were maybe a dozen or so at the focal point, lined up in two or three arcs facing the audience. It was as if they were having a conference, or a concert, with some high level members on stage. The next day they were gone- no ants. Anybody ever seen this type of behavior?

Evan
08-21-2005, 04:37 AM
We have been having a little problem with wasps this summer. They have found a way into the attic through a crack in the boards by the front door. I have sprayed them with WD-40 ( knocks them dead out of the sky) and have used every sort of poison I can buy to stop them. The trouble is that the crack they are crawling through is not the entrance to the nest. It must be hanging somewhere in the attic. I will have to wait until it gets to -30 or so and then I can sweep the nest into a garbage bag an put it into the dumpster.

Heh, heh. I was outside today taking a bit of sun when a wasp decided to sip some wine from my nearly empty wine glass. I flipped the glass over and trapped him in it. He began to wipe his head, his body and his ass. He eventually expired, happy I suppose.

J Tiers
08-21-2005, 07:57 AM
I wonder if the old picnic trick can work.....

When we had a picnic we would always have canned peaches, the ones in heavy syrup. We'd serve out the peaches as an appetizer, and put the can some distance away.

The wasps would head for that can, and not bother us. At the can they'd fall into the syrup and drown. It was always full of wasps when we cleaned up.

Bees may act the same, and there are only so many in the nest..... a lot, but it IS limited. Of course, if they are "good" honey bees its a shame to kill them.

BTW, for the ground bees, I forgot the info to use clear plastic to cover. Metal etc won't work as well. When they see the light they will quit digging out and mill around.

torker
08-21-2005, 11:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darryl:
The next day they were gone- no ants. Anybody ever seen this type of behavior?</font>
darryl, Every year at this exact time we have a huge problem with ants that act as you saw. They seem to follow several of the larger ones and form into several large "herds". They swarm up the house walls and try to get into the house. I mean there are thousands of the little buggers!
Well this is what I thought anyway.
The other day a trained exterminator actually explained what was going on here.
The ants were moving out...not into my house as I thought. The reason they swarm up the walls is to shake out and dry up their wings so they can fly away. This year I caught them again and started to spay the crap out of them. Then I remembered what the guy said. I left one bunch on the wall and watched them. Sure enough, they climbed up to the top of the wall and sat there flapping their wings to dry them I'm assuming. Then the whole works flew away just as he said they would. Was really strange to watch.
Russ

lynnl
08-22-2005, 06:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darryl:
Since the bee problem has been pretty well covered, I have a good ant story. I had ants, lots of them, and I didn't do anything about it since they stayed outside and were'nt a bother. One day I noticed that thousands of them were lined up in semi-circular fashion on the sidewalk just off my steps. There were maybe a dozen or so at the focal point, lined up in two or three arcs facing the audience. It was as if they were having a conference, or a concert, with some high level members on stage. The next day they were gone- no ants. Anybody ever seen this type of behavior?</font>

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Darryl ...Darryl ..Darry, I'm assuming that's a made-up story. ..But no matter, thanks for one of the best laughs I've had in a long time. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Were any of those in the middle carrying a tiny little baton? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif (..or maybe a bra strap hanging off one little ant shoulder?)

Torker, are you and Darryl in cahoots on this story? ...huh?

I'm kidding. I've seen some pretty strange things myself. I think I mentioned here, 2 or 3 yrs ago, about watching a fly walk on the cutting edge of my spinning tablesaw blade, not just once but 2 or 3 times.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-22-2005).]

torker
08-22-2005, 07:17 AM
lynnl...LOL! No, I never saw any kind of dramatic assembledge...just seemed that the wingless ants follow the bigger winged ones. Actually kind of a creepy feeling, having this many ants climbing on your house! We have a section of old sidewalk beside the house that we can't get the ant killer into. They also have a few big nests under the street (pavement) that we can't get at as well. I wish I could get propane in their holes http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Russ

speedy
08-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Here is the recipe we use to kill the ants when they become too much of a nuisence. I usually place it in a covered dish so it doesn`t evaporate too quickly. Substitute honey or jam etc if your ants are particular diners http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
I think it dehydrates the little bleeders and they keep coming back for more.
Our wasp problem isn`t so big locally but this recipe may work with them also as they like sweet stuff as well.

ANT POISON RECIPE...

mix
2 cups of sugar
1 cup Hot water
2 Tablespoons borax
2 Tablespoons boracic acid (boric acid)

Boil 3 minutes, let cool and pour into a well labelled bottle.
set traps in shallow dishes near ant tracks.
Keep filling until the ants have all gone.

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-22-2005).]