PDA

View Full Version : Hex sleeve

Col Mckee
08-20-2005, 08:47 AM
I need to make an adapter to go from a 1.375 hex shaft (existing) to round. Anybody know of a source for a hex sleeve in steel? Reid tool only goes up to 1.250 and today is Saturday (project could wait, but if it does, it might be 6 months before I find time again.) Bright ideas, anyone?

J. R. Williams
08-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Try a six point socket...

JRW

Col Mckee
08-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Six point not deep enough. I need to attach adapter to the output shaft of an earth auger and pin same in place. Socket also too hard. Thanks

Ian B
08-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Take six lengths of 3/4" square steel, grind two adjacent corners until the remaining face is (1.375/2)" wide.

Lay the six bits of square bar, ground edges touching each other, along the 1.375" hexagon, hold them in place with Jubilee clips etc.

Weld down the vee shaped gaps - but watch that the whole thing doesn't shrink tight onto the hex when it cools.

Nice hexagonal hole...

Ian

Mike Burdick
08-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Col,

...If you can’t get a sleeve, Ian’s suggestion is a good one. Also, another way is to forge it - if it's not too long.

Bore a hole in a piece of 1018 bar stock such the hex shaft will just slip into it. In the case of a shaft measuring 1.375" from flat to flat it would need to have a diameter of 1.588". Make the outer diameter about 0.500” larger.

Then heat with torch and forge over a piece of hex that you are trying to match. After it is forged, you can machine the outside round and press fit it into a larger piece of round for strength. Weld both ends.

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 08-20-2005).]

tattoomike68
08-20-2005, 12:00 PM
call a tractor repair shop that fixes power take off drive shafts.

buy the two hubs, turn a shaft that goes inside both to hold them strait , tack weld the hubs, pop the liner upper shaft out and weld it up.

here in farm country parts like that are not hard to find, farmers bust PTO parts all the time. (turning too sharp under power)

good luck.

Kdahm
08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Use a shaper. I mean the one that looks a whole lot like your lathe.

Set the piece up in a 3 jaw chuck, or if you have it, a 6 jaw chuck. Drill and bore a hole 1.375" diameter. That is the sice of an inscribed circle.

Get a boring bar out. I mean the type that uses an short piece of HSS toolbit. Grind a flat shaper bit out of HSS, and put it in the boring bar so that the direction of cut is when the apron is moved to the right. Set the boring bar in the QC holder so the edge of the bit is vertical.

Run the boring bar into the hole. Pull it towards you with the cross slide. Use the handwheel to pull the apron right and shave a flat in the hole. Repeat. The wedge type QC tool holder will allow the boring bar to be moved up and down to shave different portions of the hole. A dial indicator between the top of the tool post and holder will allow setting the size of the flat.

Rotate the head 60 degrees. Repeat for the next flat.

Indexing the chuck rotation is an exercise left to the student. :P

I have used this method to cut keyways. I've also thought about setting up an independent motor on the lead screw to make it faster.

Karl

------------------
At a certain point in the course of any project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the damn thing.