PDA

View Full Version : Parts Washer Solvent

JCD
08-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Has anyone had experience using mineral sprits in a parts washer?
I have a solvent type washer that is designed to use Stoddard solvent or deodorized kerosene.
Because I am not a manufacture or other business, my local supplier will not sell me Stoddard solvent because big brother is looking out for my well-being and I might do something with it.
He suggested using mineral spirits. Any suggestions?
I am considering constructing a pump for the application, but a submersible pump is more time consuming than I am interested in devoting to the project and non-submersible is kind of clunky, and I don’t have a clue how to make the pump.

JCD

Jim Caudill
08-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Try a different supplier for the solvent. My local Penzoil supplier sells it for around $24 for 5 gallons (last time I bought). Harbor Freight will sell you a small parts washer with pump for less than $40. You can't even buy a "Little Giant" pump for that much money.

JCHannum
08-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Stoddard Solvent, Varsol and mineral spirits are different names for the same thing.

Deodorized mineral spirits is available in most paint supply stores and big box stores. It is as good as anything, and doesn't have the smell to go along with it.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s6588.htm

PolskiFran
08-19-2005, 09:54 PM
We use mineral spirits in our parts washers at work. Gives good results, and I haven't heard of any pumps going bad from it.

Frank

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-19-2005, 10:01 PM
I saw a 20 gallon parts washer in the auto parts store the other day for $88. I think the solvent came in 5 gallon cans for another $30 or so. I was thinking of getting one but wasn't sure how effective they are. I love using Chem-DIP Carb cleaner (gunk) in 1 gal cans, but the solvent in the 5 gallon cans didn't seem like the same formula... Does it work as well as carb/chem-dip?

-Adrian

teamsouth
08-19-2005, 10:05 PM
What he said JCHannum

I buy mineral spirits in 55 gallon drums, my graymills holds 40 gallons but it is as good as anything else i have used. Stay away from the osha crap it sucks.

skeeter
08-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I use mineral spirits/varsol in my parts washer. I get the stuff from Wal-mart, Lowe's and any paint store has it. It is close to $3.00 a gallon now. Most times you can buy 5-1 gallon cans at Lowes cheaper than 1-5 gallon can.

I think it does a good job.

CCWKen
08-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't particularly like the mineral sprits. It works but it's slow to cut grease-Unlike lacquer thinner. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Mineral sprits has a higher flash point and safer but I like Naptha with an occasional charge of lacquer thinner.

The water-based stuff is not great but works and will strip paint as well as any skin it touches. It must be lye based. You have to rinse the parts well and post-treat or steel and iron parts rust before your eyes.

CCWKen
08-19-2005, 11:32 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Does it work as well as carb/chem-dip?</font>

Nothing works as well, if you can take the stench of carb dip. It's expensive as heck so I use it for carbs or an occasional engine part or hydraulic pump only. I can't imagin filling a 20 or 40 gallon cleaner with that stuff. Besides stinking up the whole shop, the cost would be prohibitive. It burns like paint stripper so don't get any on ya.

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 08-19-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-20-2005, 12:12 AM
I have 2 1 gallon cans with dipping basket ($10 each) so it's cheap for what it does, but I'm very limited in size on what I can dip.. I'd love to get 5 gallons of it and have the capability to dip some larger items. Maybe I'll try and find a sealable 5-8 gallon bin that I can fill with chem-dip. I was hoping the 20 gal parts cleaner and 5 gal chem was as good as gunk chem-dip -- I love that stuff. My teeth have never been whiter.

-Adrian

Rustybolt
08-20-2005, 09:21 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CCWKen:
I don't particularly like the mineral sprits. It works but it's slow to cut grease-Unlike lacquer thinner. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Mineral sprits has a higher flash point and safer but I like Naptha with an occasional charge of lacquer thinner.

The water-based stuff is not great but works and will strip paint as well as any skin it touches. It must be lye based. You have to rinse the parts well and post-treat or steel and iron parts rust before your eyes.</font>

My local coolant supplier has some stuff we call 'monster blood'(a nice neon green color).
It's a water soluble concentrate. I've used it ten to one as a degreaser and it out performed mineral spirits.It works even better when heated(a magnetic engine block heater against the bottom of the tank.The stuff takes off that dark oil film that you can get on parts that have been in a shop awhile.
The best thing is this stuff doesn't eat away your skin as you use it. I've used in a 25 to 1 concentration for a household cleaner and it out performed simple green.
I'm going over next weeek to pick up some more and I;ll get the specs and send them to you if you like.

GRH
08-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Enco sells premixed parts washer solvent
5 gallons for $33.06.
#825-8600
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=825-8600&PMPXNO=949

Graeme

megpa
08-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Varsol I think is a trademark of standard oil.. I have used it and mineral spirits from walmart or other petroleum solvents mixed with super concentrated Gunk... I have it in my parts washer.. Good thing is that you can hose your parts off with water and they dry without a trace of oil. I even wash my hands in it but probably shouldn't.. Mike in Louisiana

------------------

Ryobiguy
08-20-2005, 12:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by teamsouth:
Stay away from the osha crap it sucks.</font>

While not the same application, when I worked the printing presses, I tried out the low VOC, more OSHA friendly press-wash. Sure, it had a little bit less smell, and half the toxicity, but I found I had to use exactly twice as much to get the job done.

So did that really reduce anything? It sure did - the time between ordering a new container of that stuff.

rsr911
08-21-2005, 12:17 AM
At work we us a blend of MEK and Tolune for soaking parts with adhesive or coatings on them, works well but is highly flammable. In the shop at work I have a small parts washer filled with naptha and a touch of toluene, works really good for greasy stuff. You can buy any of these chemicals at your local hardware store, I think the big box stores have them as well, we just purchase by the drum.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

Happy
08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
So, how do you know it is time to replace the solvent?

CCWKen
08-22-2005, 04:55 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Happy:
So, how do you know it is time to replace the solvent?</font>

When the parts come out dirtier than they went in. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

With mine, I change solvent when it starts getting thick and/or black. You can tell when it's saturated with grease, oil and dirt. It stops cutting the grease as well too.

IOWOLF
08-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Anyone heard of Armakleen? water soluable,good stuff but may take the paint off the parts washer at 10 to 1.

------------------
The tame Wolf !