PDA

View Full Version : Aug/Sep Machinist's Workshop Article

John Lawson
08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
"Facelift for an Old Favorite" is a well written article that outlines a method of rebuilding a vintage .22 rifle to useful condition.
The only way to determine whether the writer's efforts were successful is to see the targets that he mentioned in his article, but editors saw fit to delete.
This is nothing short of complete frustration for a home shop gunsmith who is contemplating this kind of rebuild.
How about it, was it one ragged hole groups?

crossthreaded
08-21-2005, 05:48 PM
I had looked at the article... & lusted after a mythical Steven's Pope for more years than I'd care to admit. Since the tooth fairy is not likely to deliver one, I didn't follow the article as closely as I might have & missed the part about targets. It would be ccol to see what the old girl would do after the work done.

charlie coghill
08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Hay guys maybe the author could draw some prints up and we could all have an old favorite. It would not take any exotic steel for the 22 rimfire.
Charlie

JCHannum
08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Here are pics of a Favorite I did a couple of years ago.

http://members.aol.com/jchannum/fav1
http://members.aol.com/jchannum/fav2

It started with a rusty partial action I picked up at a gun show for $10.00. I made a new mainspring and screws to tighten it up. Added a shot out Remington octagon barrel relined with a Numrich liner, flea market stock, home brew forearm and scope mounts for a Weaver B-6 scope. I never got to anodize the mounts, that is why they are so clunky looking.

It shoots surprisingly well, not a 200 yard tack driver, but plenty of good for plinking and casual paper punching. The most fun is letting the grandkids use it with sub sonic ammo.

The Frank deHaas books have good enough drawings to make an action from if that is your interest.

I have a Stevens 44 in 25-20 on the road to completion now, and a Ballard .22 waiting in the wings.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 08-21-2005).]

jkilroy
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
If anyone wants a Stevens like these Savage is making them again. They make them in 22LR, 22WMR, and that new .17, in both solid and take down versions. The .17 has a full octogon barrel. All of them have a suggested retail of less than $300.

I am sure they shoot fine, but they don't look great. I am tempted to buy one, strip it down, give it a real polish and a nice blueing.

Nick Carter
08-22-2005, 11:16 PM
"It started with a rusty partial action I picked up at a gun show for $10.00. I made a new mainspring and screws to tighten it up. Added a shot out Remington octagon barrel relined with a Numrich liner, flea market stock, home brew forearm and scope mounts for a Weaver B-6 scope. I never got to anodize the mounts, that is why they are so clunky looking."

How did you make the scope mounts, did you bore the scope tube holes first, then slit, or did you do the holes last after making the rest of the mount? I want to make some myself but I haven't read much on the topic of making scope mounts.

JCHannum
08-23-2005, 07:35 AM
I used dovetail bases like Unertl or Fecker target scopes use to keep it kind of authentic.

I made each ring from two pieces of stock. I laid out the holes for the three screws and assembled them with a shim between them. (I probably used a business card or heavy paper.)

I trued them up, machined the dovetail, bored the tube hole and roughed the outside shape. I then separated them and clamped them to a piece of stock and milled the round section using a dividing head or spindex.

sauer38h
08-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Ah yes, memories. An original Favorite is the only rimfire I've ever had let a case go on me. All those little black specks embedded in my right wrist were the only damage as my shooting glasses caught the rest.