PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored

John Stevenson
08-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Sigh.....................................

Norman Atkinson
08-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, my old sherriff!
This should " extractum digitum"

I have just gone 'airless' broke me computer and lost me one remaining marble.
I have finally got up- and gone wireless.
Could you drop me a note of Charles'and your website for machine tools- please?

Once you have done this, you have permission to tell the rest of us what you have under the contents of your floor.

Cheers, mate

Norman

ibewgypsie
08-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm bored with people who would like to argue more than exchange fellowship and ideals. Gone to hell in a handbasket.

I am spending more time in the shop and less time on the computer. Shop is improving. Someday it might even make me a dollar.

David Cofer

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

mattc
08-22-2005, 11:56 AM
I just had to chime in on the arguing to try and stay awake, it was more enteresting than waxing floors all nite

Matt in AK

bikepete
08-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Norman, try

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Dave you are so correct this never used to be like this lets hope the
bad-mouthing-others stops it is so much nicer when everyone helps each other there are plenty of places the bullies will be welcome but lets hope not here Alistair

Alistair Hosie
08-22-2005, 12:48 PM
PS hope your keepin well Norm.Alistair

IOWOLF
08-22-2005, 12:54 PM
John, go over to that other site and say something bad about me, reading the replies will keep you busy for awhile. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Timleech
08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
Sigh.....................................</font>

OK, how would you make these?
One off or a small batch, steel.
I've been trying to find time to get to this for 6 months, worked out a plan at the beginning but now I've made a start I'm working to a completely different plan.
I'd like to hear other ideas though &lt;g&gt;

http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Pictures/stypenozzle.jpg

Tim

J Tiers
08-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Bored?

I sure am not, I have stuff to solve at work, 37 projects at home (most are NOT shop projects, unfortunately), a stack of milling cutters to sharpen whenever I get the T&C grinder working, and the local sewer distric (drains commission) wants to re-route our roof runoff so it doesn't end up in their sewers.

Bored? Nope, I dunno what to do first..... That's why I split town and went to the tractor and engine show
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/013181.html

Well, maybe I am bored with some of the major cut-downs occurring recently around here. But that will probably pass.... although I hope not too many folks "Smith-out" on us.

(Speaking of which.... I am kinda worried about jfsmith.... I hope he got straightened out. Anyone know?)

Norman Atkinson
08-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Many thanks, John for info. E-mail is still a SOB and failed to go off.

Alistair,
Apart from them taking my medication away- I still have the comfort of Matron- who is a - Oh, belt up!
No, I am up to the ears with one job after another. I hope that the Good Lord is treating you kindly. You are far important.

Again, Bike Pete!
Thank you for your info. Lorst the whole bleeding lot- and it would still seem like problems. I think matron keeps sneaking in and fiddling with things whilst I am asleep.

To the rest of you good folk, greetings and encourage John to keep up the expertise that we all desperately need.

Norm

Stepside
08-22-2005, 02:16 PM
For John and anybody else----

I have the following 1) 9inch Logan lathe 1950's vintage. It is missing the drive/pulley system and the motor. This lathe has never been used. 2)3 phase motor of the right size 3) DC motor from a exercise machine. 4)some but not extensive funds.
What would you suggest to make a good small home shop lathe from this collection?

spope14
08-22-2005, 02:23 PM
No suggestions right off the bat, but sure would like to be in your shoes with all that fine stuff. perhaps you can go to a hardward store, or some place like Fastenall and start with the pulley system - buying step pulleys or getting information on them, and belt sizes. from there, moving forward to start to get the spindle running!!!!!!!

Yes, i am bored as well. Found out today my Biceps has nearly torn off the tendon, the dr. says no more lifting of anything more than 5 pounds - which I can attest is hard right now as a 12 cup coffee pot filled with water is a challenge.

I am looking for ideas to lift my 8 inch lathe chuck and th vises for my school shop. I have to start back Friday, and can't even begin to lift these without finishing off the tendon issue in a very bad way!!!!!

I had two windows left to install in the house - now on hold. Typing also stinks.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I could use some help importing my Buggy/Sand Rail into AutoCAD, or to other CAD/CAM packages.

-Adrian

Stanko
08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Im Chairman of the Bored !

BillH
08-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Im bored too, im going to start up a small company.

Your Old Dog
08-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey! I was bored too and then John's post came along. Now I'm trying to figure out just what he's up to. I take little at face value. We got to be part of an experiment of his. Maybe he's testing a theory. Are we unknowing participants in a ploy hatched by some limey type to make fun of us? Here it goes! Hang on! Where's the flame thrower kid when you need him? WE NEED WAR ON THE BOARD TO APPEASE THE BORED !

(how close am I John? LOL)

IOWOLF
08-22-2005, 06:59 PM
He came and went,it makes me think the real kid never was here at all.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

speedy
08-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I`m heterosexual and I have never been bored http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif.
I am slowly making my way through the "to do or complete" list.
Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 08-23-2005).]

wierdscience
08-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm bored

To what size? 1"? 25mm? Keyway or spline afterwards? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Stepside
08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
spope--sorry to hear about your injuries ect. You are going to have to empower your students to do all the heavy work in your shop. I tried "flying froma ladder" about two weeks ago. This is not a good thing--nothing broke but sore knee,elbow and shoulder..
I go back to work/the classroom on Aug 24 aqnd will have students starting Aug 31st. The lathe and parts are for a school related project. It seems that someone bought the lathe for "repairing school buses", It was never set up but the guy was fired for theft before he could take all the parts home. Therefore I don't have all the drive parts or motor.

I was hoping to have a variable drive set-up to use in conjunction with the step-sheave set-up and back gear.

John Stevenson
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stepside:
For John and anybody else----

I have the following 1) 9inch Logan lathe 1950's vintage. It is missing the drive/pulley system and the motor. This lathe has never been used. 2)3 phase motor of the right size 3) DC motor from a exercise machine. 4)some but not extensive funds.
What would you suggest to make a good small home shop lathe from this collection?</font>

Well you have the lathe and two motors.
You are going to need a motor so you have a choice 3 phase or DC.
The 3 phase motor will need a VFD and the DC motor will need a controller.
I can't advise on choice as I can't see the motors and don't know what is availabe in the US as regards these controllers.
Others will need to chime in here.

Get a controller for whatever motor and buy, scrounge a pulley to suit.
Jury rig a drive from the motor to the lathe and with the variable spped you wil be able to do limited jobs.

This should enable you to make a working countershaft arangement up with shafts and pullies etc then you can set a proper drive system up.

You are only limited by a controller, a pulley and your imagination.

John s.

ibewgypsie
08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Personally, I wanted to see a lathe speed control via hydrostat transmission off a lawnmower.. Hook any motor to it.. Spin the input, variable output speeds via lil lever.

I got real problems here, My lil cnc Motors are not big enough. I am eyeballing some that have been sitting in the bus for a few years.. not the right voltage, but you know me.. I can't leave enough alone.

David

darryl
08-22-2005, 09:28 PM
This resting up after a day's work on my feet is boring. I'd like to work on some of my projects but I need a bit of rejuvenation first. So here I am at the computer where I'll probably nod off for a half then get some dinner. With any luck I'll have my tadpole on the street tonite for some electric powered testing. Work sure is getting in the way of that project, but at least I'm at another juncture with it. No brakes on it yet, though. This should be interesting.

Norman Atkinson
08-23-2005, 08:08 AM
As usual, I think John is really bored.

What he wants is a break or better, a holiday.

The British- Sunday Times, a newspaper for the learned- wot Ah am- came up with a feature about place names, and especially one in Austria near Salzburg- the home of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Sound of Music and a lonely goatherd. Your Old Lady toooohooo!
Serious thefts have been taken place- and the local population of 150 souls is regularly having to replace the road signs. The place- I hesitate to report- is called ****ing.
It is a sort of place where John could come back from- with more than his appetite whetted!

Of course, a visit to this place should not be restricted to one end. The seasoned traveller could add a visit to improve his engineering skills and visit Plansee- a delightful picnic area near the town of Reutte. Here, would you believe is the home of bits for tools. To get to Reutte one should go through the Fohn Pass and take the road sign just before the equally interesting village of Wank. I joketh not!
Somewhere in between the two are such places as Mutters and Natters- and there are uphill lifts at both.

Further detours are possible to Windpassing.
According to my map, this is next to Worth.
Presumably, this was the result of cavorting in the nearby Vienna Woods.

Obviously, Austria seems far superior to my local villages of New York, Quebec, Washington, No Place and Pity Me. Asquith has already been near enough to Moscow- and its British Rocket range.The rabbits are destroying the Wall, John.
For my part, a somewhat exhausting trip to nearby ****lington Common with views to Bloody Bush Edge- and of course, Rory's Still.
Still what- you may ask.There is a place called Lost- or so I am informed. There is a place for those unable to visit the Austrian scene called Come By Chance. Whether it is near Loos, ***** or Condom in France is questionable. The mind- and other things- boggle.

For local visits, other interested parties should stay Stateside and visit places of interest like Blue Balls, Intercourse, Silly and Climax.

Travellers on their own might move further North and try Dildo in NF

Concluding this happy note, I shall watch the antics of the Royal Newly Weds from my window. Princes Meadow seems my obvious choice.

Norman

bobbybeef
08-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Well John,
On thursday the cricket will start and we may get another full five days.
Best ashes tour that I can remember.
Of course you could check if you are punched, drilled or just fallen out at the seams!
Your thread is a hell of a lot better than the one on the other BB about water devining.
Dont leave the chuck key in the chuck or you will not be bored.
best of British to you.
bobby.

J Tiers
08-23-2005, 09:27 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobbybeef:

Your thread is a hell of a lot better than the one on the other BB about water devining.

bobby.</font>

But at least that one was the farthest thing from boring.... it was controversial, always changing, and the subject was all about how to avoid boring, after all.

madman
08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
John if youre bored why not machine something up. Then you can post some photos for us to look at cause were bored also.

John Stevenson
08-23-2005, 12:00 PM
You really want to see what I have been machining ?

ricksplace
08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey spope14..

Sorry to hear about your injury. I did the same thing in a skiing fall in Feb. (along with two broken arms). Arms healed up just fine, but the rotator cuff is a mess. Went for an MRI last week. Doc told me it usually takes about two years to heal up an injury like this. She said the last time she saw injuries like mine, they belonged to a guy who fell out of the back of a moving pickup and landed on the pavement. I told her that is just about what my fall felt like.

House renovs are waiting until I can use my right arm sufficiently. It's getting better, but it's just slow.

My biggest problem is not using the injured arm. As soon as it starts to feel a little better, I overstress it trying to do too much.

I went to see a physioterrorist twice a week. I quit going after about two months.

Have patience, it will heal. Beer helps.

John Stevenson
08-23-2005, 03:19 PM
One reason I'm bored.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/weldplates.jpg

Weld prep on inside and outside. Diameters from 10" down to 6"
300 to a pallet, second pallet today.
three yesterday and two more tomorrow.

I'm still bored..........................

John S.

Ian B
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Wow,

That's a small forklift!

Can't you just *buy* M8 & M10 washers?

Ian

Timleech
08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ian B:
Wow,

That's a small forklift!

Can't you just *buy* M8 & M10 washers?

Ian</font>

Have you tried to buy chamfered washers lately?
They're not easy to find.

Tim

jkilroy
08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Yep, that would bore me to tears.

Alistair Hosie
08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
John why dont you and Gert spend some of the money you have ammassed we all know your richer than Branson.Have a Holiday in Scotland and come visit me Alistair

Artpro
08-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Bored? Have you tried pyramid stacking some 3/16" diameter ball bearings, or better yet, some BBs?