PDA

View Full Version : Shell Mill size for EMCO?

gzig5
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
I am considering buying a shell mill that is 3.0" dia. by 1.5" tall. Is this thing going to be too big for my EMCO Mill? The mill is the four speed model. I think it has a 1/3 Hp motor.
Greg

toolsrul
08-22-2005, 09:23 PM
You'll never be able to run effectively. Depending on teeth, depth of cut, RPM, width of cut, overall rigidity, etc. All deciding factors which leads to metal removal rates that are determined by the horse power - you only have 1/3 at the motor - alot less at the tool tip. Not a good idea. Good luck.

gzig5
08-22-2005, 11:30 PM
That is what I started thinking, after I came up with the brilliant idea! I didn't expect to take big hogging cuts, but more use it as a surfacing cutter on light cuts. Just needed a sanity check. Thanks.

Mcgyver
08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
will that mill go slow enough for a 3" cutter? if so, make a fly cutter, of for that matter they are so cheap, buy one. It will do what you want, big facing cuts, and is cheap to operate - ie just sharpen the one hss bit. way better solution than expensive shell cutters

J Tiers
08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Shell cutters do one thing better than fly cutters.... they can cut a nice 90 deg angle in one pass.

I have used a 2 1/2" shell end mill adapted onto a 1/2" shank to fit an end mill holder, in a mill having only a 1/4 HP motor.

It worked fine.

The details are that it is a HORIZONTAL mill, meaning it is quite rigid, I was just cleaning up a cast iron vise base, and I used very shallow cuts, at low rpm.

If I ever do it again, I will use a decent arbor. They seem to not exist, so I may have to make one.

I would think a small vertical mill would be knocked out of tram, dig in, and stall, if there were any sort of deep cut attempted with a 3" SEM.

But I bet a 1 1/2" or smaller would be quite practical, if for some reason a fly cutter isn't suitable.

There is truly something about a fly cutter, that most folks just don't expect it to do a deep cut.

Not so with that mean-looking shell end mill. Easier to get in trouble.

If you insist on using the SEM, I wouldn't go much faster than say 80 or 100 RPM, maybe slower, depending on material, and size of cut. If your mill won't slow down like that, stay away from it.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 08-23-2005).]