PDA

View Full Version : Groundhogs

madman
08-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Ive got two large ones under my bridgeport mill in my garage. I used hog bombs three taped together and also tried loud music. Traps the three i own are too small he is huge(eating size) im not alloewed to shoot in town or the swat team will come over. Any good ways of getting rid of them i hate them.

tattoomike68
08-21-2005, 11:55 AM
make a sharp chip hook from some 5/16" shaft and snag them, pull them out and whack them with a hammer.

now this coon was on my shop last week, he has came around for months now, I need to get the live trap back from a friend and move this guy out of town.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/miketattoo68/coon1.jpg

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 08-21-2005).]

rockrat
08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Had a farmer tell me about attaching a hose of some sort to his truck and dropping the other end into the groundhog hole. Let the truck idle for an hour, pumping all of that carbon monoxide down the hole and.... no more piggy.

Since your critter is under the floor, and you don’t want to do yourself in, you may want to leave the garage door open. Just in case the death fumes make their way up through the concrete floor via a crack or something.

Alistair Hosie
08-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Are they harmful they looks so cute why not leave them alone.I ask only because I have never seen one in real life Alistair

jero100
08-21-2005, 01:08 PM
They are pesky, but they're really good barbequed!

Wirecutter
08-21-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm suddenly reminded of the character played by Bill Murray in the movie "Caddieshack". Be afraid. Be very afraid.

elbryant
08-21-2005, 01:51 PM
We used moth cakes and spread them liberally under the shed under which the groundhogs had burrowed. I smelled for a bout a month, but they moved on and haven't come back.

RPease
08-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Madman,

If you have a 22 rimfire pistol or rifle, there are a number of low velocity rimfire rounds available (some at about 550 fps) that don't make "a lot" of noise. About the same as a decent pellet gun. We aren't allowed to "shoot" firearms in my town either, but I can "get away with it (at least, I have so far....on few occasions that I needed to)" with these rounds.

I'm not saying that you will, but it is just a suggestion. (BTW...I hate jail, the food sucks....LOL. I also don't condone breaking the law, but most of us have at one time or another.....Anybody "ever" drive over the speed limit????).

I'm "REAL" careful and make sure of my target and anything down range. If it isn't "very safe", I don't shoot. Even with the low velocity, they carry enough mass to dispatch a groundhog with a clean headshot.

Again, just a suggestion. One should always take "free advise" for what it is worth.....and sometimes that's nothing.

Regards.......Rodg

Mcgyver
08-21-2005, 03:46 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
Are they harmful they looks so cute why not leave them alone.I ask only because I have never seen one in real life Alistair</font>

in agricultural areas generally thought of as something to be shot at. They do some damage to the field and the holes are hazard to live stock. and they are plentiful.

There's an old joke about the farmer who bought a new rifle and took a shot at the ground hog who popped back into his hole only to reappaear a few minutes later. this kept happening until the farmer was so fed up with the crooked gun he busted it in a fit rage, later walking the field, he finds 7 dead ground hogs next to the hole

PolskiFran
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
You might want to check out my previous thread on my groundhog problem.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/006458.html
Use these sugestions at your own risk. Using wierd science's idea of moth balls, I tried using bowl blocks for the toilet. I used the ones with the wire hanger. It kept them away for a while until the block evaporated. Don't get the ones with the floral or fruit smell, they draw bees.

Frank

Your Old Dog
08-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Funny this topic comes up today.

I got an old friend coming over this afternoon with a 22 to act as an old time Regulator that the cattleman used to have. I got 3 rabbits and 2 woodchuck eating up the gardens. Our home is an oasis amidst vast corn fields so once they find their way here it's like "whoa, I'm home!" I even set up range wind ribbons for him! I'll post pics if he nails one.

I was okay with them until my wife told me what is was costing us to feed them. I'ma also afraid my lab might chase one into the road and get hit by a car.

edited this afternoon to add the following

My friend made it over this afternoon and nailed one that crawled back into the corn field and got ones attention but didn't down'em. One more rabbit and two more groundhogs to go and the garden is safe!
http://www.raysstuff.com/shop/hsm/VarmentRegulator.jpg

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 08-21-2005).]

Timleech
08-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Could someone please explain, to us innocents on the other side of the pond, what a 'ground hog day' is?
The term is creeping into use here by smart a*se media types, who probably don't really know what they're talking about but have heard it used on trips to the US, & I certainly haven't a clue.

Thanks
Tim

John Stevenson
08-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Tim,
Read here.

http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm

Sounds a bit like old moores

John S.

PS,
No problem with that hardening, 120 thou deep is fine.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 08-21-2005).]

charlie coghill
08-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Just a thought, you might want to think about the idea of gassing them. The idea will work but the smell of the rotting bodies may not be worth it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

decoy91288
08-21-2005, 08:00 PM
You know anyone with a dachshund?? They can make life miserable for any underground creature -- you might just want to stand by with a bat. (dont hit the dog! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif )

[This message has been edited by decoy91288 (edited 08-21-2005).]

[This message has been edited by decoy91288 (edited 08-21-2005).]

Happy
08-21-2005, 08:27 PM
pretty sure I got rid of one with mouse poison one time. let's just say i found the dead body a few days latter.

Dangf
08-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Try one of these.
http://www.rodenator.com/

Check out the videos.

Dan

MarkT
08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
If you don't have pets you can try hanging a live wire where they will brush it going in and out.

Too_Many_Tools
08-21-2005, 10:32 PM
How about live trapping and moving the groundhog to another location?

Gassing the animal will only leave you with a decaying corpse that will REEK for weeks and weeks.

Using a firearm is not a smart idea. If a bullet goes stray and hits someone, your troubles will just be beginning. And before anyone says it doesn't happen, just last week we had a guy sent to prison for 20 years because of his stray shot killing a woman sitting in her house while he was trying to hit a rabbit in his garden.

TMT

chkz
08-22-2005, 12:15 AM
You've got to get rid of that raccoon...and anything else that even looks like one!!

Seriously, as "cute" as they may look they're vicious little good-for-nothing bas**rds and as far as I'm concerned the only good one is a dead one. Its even illegal up here now in Ontario to "relocate" them. People just use the live catch traps as a convenience then shoot them in there. These things have few, if any natural predators left in alot of areas and basically we're overrun with them. They carry rabies, are the brunt of expensive innoculation programs and will tear up your house. If you don't believe me see how long it will take a momma 'coon to work her way thru your roof to get to her kittens!! The worse part of all of this is now "Raccoon Ringworm"...to see how serious this is...look it up on the Centre for Disease Control website. These are nothing but furry cockroaches....Kill all you can and maybe one day the population will be a little closer to "normal"...

Sorry for the rant, I've just gotten ontop of a three year battle with these damned animals here.......

Chris

tattoomike68
08-22-2005, 12:45 AM
((chkz
You've got to get rid of that raccoon...and anything else that even looks like one!! ))

you know it, the one in the first picture will make a nice hat. Im not new to trapping here is some I have trapped in the last year.

two in one trap, hows that for good luck http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/miketattoo68/twocoons.jpg

and this guy (the other coon pup)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/miketattoo68/coons1.jpg

and a few stinky nasty possums, here is one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/miketattoo68/possum.jpg

Here is a video of mama and a pup in a trap.
(WARNING BAD LANGUAGE, MUTE OR WHATEVER)

http://media.putfile.com/nicecoon

lenord
08-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Tattoomike68,

That is one MEAN coon ! I've never seen one up close that was that mean. He acted like a dog !

Thanks for the chuckle.
Lenord

Your Old Dog
08-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Timleech, a groundhog is another name for a woodchuck. This from the latin "farmerpaininthearsegrandus"

Timleech
08-22-2005, 08:35 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
Timleech, a groundhog is another name for a woodchuck. This from the latin "farmerpaininthearsegrandus"</font>

We don't have woodchucks here either!

Tim

Timleech
08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
Tim,
Read here.

http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm

Sounds a bit like old moores

John S.
</font>

This confirms what I suspected, the chumps I've seen use the term on the UK media didn't undertand what they were saying!
Sounds like St Swithen's day, don't know if the date's the same though.

Tim

madman
08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Pesky critters but tasty when cooked properly. I recommend (once you get one of course) feeding them apples and anything else they want. Leave in the cage until its so fat it cant move at all. Then a brain shot from the 7.62 ought to kill em quick. Pull out of cage gut and skin em. You might wish to keep the skin and make a nice hat. Perfect for those occasional forrays to the local church where you will fit in nicely amongsts all the women who war rodents fur coats hats and even purses to church in a bid to outdoo the other fur bearing ladies. Anyhow rotisserie on the barbie pan of water under the critter cook slowly baste occasionally whiles basting your tastebuds with ample supplies of beer and some alberta premiumn. Invite the neighbours over and feed em but NEVER tell them its varmint. Wait till theyre done eating and then get em to help you tan the hide of the critter. Casually mention the varmint problems over with and how did he taste by the way.If they also want a hat offer to lend them your have a heart live trap.

Your Old Dog
08-22-2005, 11:26 AM
madman, did you know they used woodchuck for baby food on the wagon train trails? They say the meat is very tender and of a fine consistancy.

For those of you who haven't hunted them they can be very wary. You can drive by them all day long and they dont mind. If you stop the car, a chuck at 300 + yards will stop doing what he's doing and watch you. If you open the car door he'll likely get up on his hind end (begging style) and if you get out of the car he'll run to his hole.

Some say they can even tell what calibre you're toting and if it's a big'un they'll hightail it out of sight for the day. My best chuck was 500 yard prone with an Ithaca LSA65 in 270 with a 3x9 Leoupold AO and sako mounts. It was fun getting the gun back on target from recoil to watch the bullet strike. It was even more of a kick having two of my best friends with me when I nailed him. They usually out shot me. Dairy farmers in the NE have a tough go with them because of the danger the hole present to cattle and equipment. I think another term for them is "whistle pig" because their alarm signal to others is a whistle.

andy_b
08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
YOD,

i think the "whistle pigs" are prairie dogs. the groundhogs in my backyard are about 5x the size of prairie dogs. they look like a 15 pound sack of jello when they take off running. they are smart ba&*$%#s though. like you said, you can walk around all day or the dogs can be barking at them all the time. but go in the house and sneak out with a .223 and the buggers are nowhere to be found!

andy b.

Your Old Dog
08-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I expect you're right about the whistle pigs! I feel sorry for these English guys. What the hell do they do on a nice Saturday afternoon for sport if they ain't got Groundhogs to bang away at?

Haven't read the entire thred but Ground Hog Day is a day early in Sping (maybe March 1st) and "folklore" has it that Punxatwany Phil pokes his head out of a hole and whether or not he see's his shadow indicates how soon winter will end. It's all BS of course but it's made Punxatwany Pennsylvania a nice bunch of money every year as it's quite a party. There are no less than a dozen small towns trying to copy Punxatwany to cash in on the media attention. There's a very funny movie called Ground Hog Day starring Bill Murray. I reccomend it as it's quite funny.

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 08-22-2005).]

Iquithadenuff
08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
I call em "woodcharles" just be political correct

John Stevenson
08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
I expect you're right about the whistle pigs! I feel sorry for these English guys. What the hell do they do on a nice Saturday afternoon for sport if they ain't got Groundhogs to bang away at?

</font>

We have quaint old English customs to perform.
One is called Morris dancing, nothing to do with William Morris the car manufacturer but more to do with a group of semi inebriated men, all weighing 16 stone or more dancing around a gaily painted pole holding a silly ribbon and waving hankerchieves or sticks
See http://www.thehat.free-online.co.uk/anstey_morris_photos/anstey63.jpg

Then we have football which is performed exactly the same but usually involves ripping up bus stops, park benches etc to use as ammunition against the police.

Both are perfectly harmless Saturday afternoon sports.

John S.

lynnl
08-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Y.O.D.,
What's that lefthanded bolt action .22 your friend is shooting in the photo? Kimber or some such?
I have a LH 30.06 (Remington), but haven't seen a .22 in LH.

egpace
08-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Didn't we just deal with a similar problem? What you need is a really really big Shop-Vac.

andy_b
08-22-2005, 10:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
We have quaint old English customs to perform.
One is called Morris dancing, nothing to do with William Morris the car manufacturer but more to do with a group of semi inebriated men, all weighing 16 stone or more dancing around a gaily painted pole holding a silly ribbon and waving hankerchieves or sticks
See http://www.thehat.free-online.co.uk/anstey_morris_photos/anstey63.jpg

</font>

lord, NOW i see why the US declared independance from Britain. it wasn't the taxes, it was the light-in-the-loafers men and their dancing around gay poles. either that or the haggis.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

egpace
08-22-2005, 11:30 PM
andy b,
Keep the Poles out of this, they're a proud people, and may take offense.
Ed

spope14
08-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Ground hogs are easy to get rid of. Get a have a heart trap, pur Oreos in the trap on a bed of Peanut butter - the cookies stuck in the peanut butter. Ground hogs, mice, rats, any animal just loves this mix. Animal gets in the trap, the trap springs.

take the ground hogs out to a place in the woods, let them go. Makes no real sense to shoot them, for they really do not produce good meat, are slow and not that smart. I guess if I were to hunt or shoot something, I would want a challenge and would want to eat the meat. Slow stupid critters are just good for moving about one place to the other.

Your Old Dog
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One is called Morris dancing, nothing to do with William Morris the car manufacturer but more to do with a group of semi inebriated men, all weighing 16 stone or more dancing around a gaily painted pole holding a silly ribbon and waving hankerchieves or sticks
</font>

John: I can't dance for sh-t and the dress is in the cleaners but the guns are ready to go!

LynnL: I wondered how long it would take for someone to spot that! It's a Remington with a 2 1/2 Redfield on it. This guy has a basement full of southpaw shooters. He's also a damn good shot. Did you notice the masking tape on the stock? He has so many guns that he marks where they're all zeroed for in the event he dosen't get back to use that gun for awhile. I know he'll be back to finish this job because he left his scope jacket on my back porch! (I didn't ask him how old it was but the barrel seemed to have more than normal written on it which leads me to believe it may be newer. Sort of like Rugers with the freaking instruction book written up one side and down the other of the barrel.)

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 08-23-2005).]

madman
08-23-2005, 11:26 AM
To your old dog. Were you sure it was 500 yards with a 3 to 9 scope, I suggest you buy a leica laser rangefinder. I use a sauer 200 with the set trigger and a eaw scope mounts with a couple of differant scopes. ones for long range and ones for 300 meters or less that ones the the 3 to 9 power model.

madman
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
I plan on buying a larger live trap and moving them to a nice clover field.

chkz
08-23-2005, 11:40 AM
when i get anything in my live trap...i send it to a "better place"...

Jpfalt
08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a neighbor named Carl who recently had critter issues. He likes to surf the internet and found it can be a dangerous place.

The story started about two months ago whan a new neighbor moved in with two cats. The cats immediately claimed his front door and started regularly spraying that same door.

Carl surfed the internet and found a site that said that cats don't like the smell of mothballs. So he bought some and scattered them around his front door.

A few nights later a skunk came by, took exception to the mothballs or something and let Carl's front porch have it.

Carl went to the internet and found a recipe including baking soda and hydrogen peroxide that was supposed to cut the odor. It took about three weeks to reduce the stench to approachable levels.

Carl searched the internet again to find out how to get rid of a skunk and happened on information about humane traps. He bought one and put it by his front porch. Now his humane trap is a wire mesh cage with a gate and we (the neighbors) wondered what he was going to do if he actually caught the skunk.

During the next week Carl caught both of the neighbors cats.

Finally about two weekends ago at about 10PM, I was sitting in the family room when I hear a "pop", followed about a second later by a second "pop".

The wife was upstairs with the bedroom window open and a fan on. I stuchk my head out the back door as I wondered if someone was setting off fire crackers.

The next thing I hear is my wife's voice upstairs saying "Oh, my GOD!!" and the sound of a window slamming. Then this horrible stench came wafting over the back patio and I slammed the back door.

The next morning I saw Carl once. His garage door opened up, he ran as fast as he could to the newspaper box and ran back inside.

The next day I saw Carl's wife and said I noticed something strange on Saturday night. She said, "Oh, yeah. He got his skunk."

It turns out Carl was sitting in the back room when a skunk wandered up onto his back patio. Carl went out with a Colt Woodsman .22 pistol and popped it once. A colt .22 is no where large enough, which Carl soon found out. As Carl was squeezing off the second shot, the skunk let him have it with both barrels.

We didn't see Carl for the next three days. His wife explained he was marinating in baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

Your Old Dog
08-23-2005, 01:48 PM
At first thought I felt your neighbor Carl was pretty stupid but then you said he popped'em with a Colt Woodsman. I had one in mint condition but sold it. That was stupid. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 08-23-2005).]

Ian B
08-23-2005, 03:06 PM
All this discussion about catching little furry animals reminded me of this one:

One day a frightened homeowner called the zoo and said, " There's a huge gorilla in my tree in the front yard!".

The zoo keeper new of the escape and had already prepared for the capture. The zoo keeper arrived in no time flat.

He said to the homeowner, " Stay calm. I know what to do, but I need your help." With that he went to his van and retrieved the gorilla capturing tools: one pair of handcuffs, a 12 bore shotgun and the meanest looking Rottweiler you've ever seen.

The zoo keeper said to the homeowner," I'm going to climb up the tree and shake that gorilla down. When he falls, the dog will leap forward and clamp his teeth around the gorilla's balls. The gorilla will grab for his balls and almost faint, and you handcuff him."

He then starts to climb up the tree when the homeowner yells up to him," what do I do with the gun?" The zoo keeper yells back down," If the gorilla shakes me out the tree, SHOOT THE BLOODY DOG!!"

Ian

madman
08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
HaHa the carl skunk story rings a bell. I had two skunks under my hiome. I put the live traps out. Caught one. Now what. I had a few beers. Walked up to the cage held the door open, skunk walked out and just ambled off. Was i lucky. My neighbour said im just a dumb ass. Well caught another one. This time i used the 5 p ,,s ,, PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS PISSPOOR PERFORMANCE. I snuck up on the varmint army ranger style popped a 4 mill contractor bag over the cage lifted the cage up and let it drop into the bag skunk and all. Then i wrapped the cage up in a old sleeping bag. By this time i had a couple of tourists checking out what was going on. My wife audrey and my nephew meckie. I smiled and said im gonna throw it in the river. My wife and my nephew sure didnt like that, Anyhow next thing out to the country for a live release. I had to unroll the skunk(i figures hed be so pissed of getting thwrown around and so on. I had to hold the damn cage door open and at a range of about a foot out came the skunk. I turned to run but my nephew was already 30 feet away and accelerating. I tucked and rolled and off i went but im so damn old i cant really run worth a ****. Anyhow the skunk never sprayed me and walked away. WHEW. I hate skunks. In the end everyone was happpy and my wife believed my nephew that i didnt Gallil the **** outa the critter.