PDA

View Full Version : Trailers

madman
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have any information on Tow behind trailers. I was thinking of a 34 foot airstream. Do they hold up well during towing and do they suffer from leaking like so many other brands, My wife likes the big square models but that aluminumn just turns me on. Will my 1984 f250 with the 460 pull that well. Thanx

Michael Az
08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Not exactly sure what info you want but in general I love the airstreams. Never had one but several others.
One thing to not forget is towing ability. You mention a 34 ft and that will be one heavy puppy. My last travel trailer was a 33' and weighed 10,000 lbs dry. My pickup is rated at I think 18,000 gross and with the truck weighing 7,000 it sure doesn't leave much for payload. Its going to be a killer when our fuel is $7.00 a gallon also.
Michael

Guido
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Tulsa's Spartan Aviation, as WWII wound down, was looking for new ventures in using aluminum outside of aircraft fabrication. The Spartan Coaches were used for awhile as a training ground for students, learning aluminum fab. Still see Spartans and their unique designs.

Airstream RV's are a carryon of the Spartan, a way of life for a whole bunch of people who could afford more. Google up Airstream Caravans, to see their worldwide following. Their quality includes completely enclosing the bottom of every coach, for use in any clime/temperature range.

Competition between manufactures has resulted in the cheapest piles of low bidded materials, to be called livable trailers. Not so with Wally Byams Caravan Airstreams.

The original Airstream travel trailers, as composed to park models, were most often pulled via large American autos, not trucks. Quality was always first. Buying a travel trailer, one must remember the yacht owner: "If you're going to worry about the fuel, you can't afford it."

G

ricksplace
08-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I've pulled a trailer for years and I currently have a 24 foot that I pull with a GMC 2500. The biggest issues are transmission coolers and brakes. Auto trannies must have an add-on cooler, the bigger the better. Some of the newer trucks have additional factory coolers built in.

My brother just returned from a trip across Canada with his new fifth wheel. He's towing it with a GMC 1500. There's enough power in the truck, but the brakes on the truck were marginal in the mountains. Look at the difference in the size of the brakes between a 1500 and 2500 or f150 and f250.

Trailer brakes don't provide all the braking necessary for towing a trailer.

just my .02

Rick.

ps. your f250 with a 460 should pull just about anything short of your house. Do you have a triple core radiator for extra cooling? Large trannie cooler? Gas stations will not be a pleasant experience.

[This message has been edited by ricksplace (edited 08-23-2005).]

wierdscience
08-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm sure you have seen this,but it tells a lot about Airstream towability-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/history2.jpg

I got a friend who has a Spartan,28' I believe,he converted his to a gooseneck and loves it.His 1/2t Chevy with the 283 and 350 turbo will pull it easy.

He had an Airstream before he got the Spartan.He said the Spartan has a better body design,but the Airstream towed much better and had a really unique suspension system that made everything in them ride safely.Hope that helps.

CCWKen
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
If you can afford it, go with the newer models. They're lighter and more luxurious. The only places I know of that you have to watch leaks are the vents. But that's true with all trailers not just Airstream.

I've had a 1957 22' and have a 78 34' sitting next to the barn right now. It's for sale if you're looking to "restore" an older model. My GF pulled it back from Arizona to S. Texas with a 6-cyl full-sized van so your 460 shouldn't have a problem. Like Michael says though, fuel costs can be a killer.

madman
08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
How good a shape is your 34 footer in. I may be interested. Could you email some photos and a price. I am wondering if the 10000 pound range might be pushing it with my old truck. I have a tranny cooler and a tranny temp. gauge in it. Also a oil cooler. I burn propane at .43 a litre and have the option of gas or propane at the flick of a switch (or two) I plan on mounting two 300 litre propane tanks in the bed and give it around 700 litres capacity. Thanx for your replies everyone. Most enlightening.

CCWKen
08-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't think they come near 10,000lbs. More like 8,000 or less for the 34' Airstream. Much depends on options and whether you like to travel with loaded tanks.

Pulling is not a problem. Braking is the problem. You should use a brake system with any trailer over 3500lbs. GVW. I pulled about 18,000+ gross with a 305/2V Chevy 1/2ton pickup a couple of months ago. That's how I got my Dozer home. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif