PDA

View Full Version : trailer project request for help/advice

snowman
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
My dad has asked me to get a pickup bed trailer working for him. Well, I got everything tore apart tonight, and what a mess. Everything is put together with grade 0 bolts, welds that I can break with a 2 lb sledge (with no problem), etc.

Enough ranting and on to the questions....

I dont especially like the axle situations. They are six lugs, alloy rims, an odd size to boot. I want to put trailer tires on them so it rides a little better...only real option is to replace the axle. I can buy a replacement axle at tractor supply company for about 75 bucks, but it's way too long. How bad of an idea is it to cut an axle, cut 12" off, then reweld them together?

Next question...

Are leaf springs usually attached on one side (either the front or the back) then allowed to float, or are both ends of the spring supposed to float? What is a good thickness for the bars that act as the pivot to connect the spring to the frame? Right now they are 3/4, but I think that's a tad bit of overkill [Smile]

I think that's all for now.

Hopefully you will answer promptly...have to get this damn thing done tomorrow!

-Jacob

Bond
08-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Yes you can weld the axel if you reinforce the axel with over size pipe. The springs go both ways.

wierdscience
08-23-2005, 11:59 PM
If you chop the axle and reweld in the dead middle,you can do it without re-inforcement assuming a good weld.3/16" gap,clamped up in angle iron and welded 100%.The center of the axle is under the least amount of load compared to out by the springs.

The spring setup can be one of two ways.Frontend is always attached solid with a bolt.Back end can be held in a shakle with a bolt and the spring allowed to slip,usually the springs designed for this have no eye in the back end of the spring.The other method is the link method which uses 1-1/4" x 1/4" thick x 4" long flatbars.Trailer axle hardware is cheap,usually you can buy the finished links,u-bolts,top plates etc for less than you can buy the steel.Plus you really don't want to make u-bolts,trust me I know(tremendus liability issues)

CCWKen
08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
The axles are tube so I would find stock that would fit snug on the ID. Drill a some holes off-set, weld the seam then weld through the holes to you stock inside. The primary load is at your spring perches anyway. Use a 3500lb axle and matching springs.

The leading leg of the spring is usually fixed by a U bracket bolted or welded to the frame. The trailing leg can just be a curl that rides on the frame or "eyed" and attached with a shackle to another U bracket. At least one end must be free to move. I suggest you go with shackles. With loads, it helps keep the trailer stable.

The bolts should be grade 8 and at least 1/2". The truck bed alone probably weighs around 1000 lbs. If the loaded trailer starts swaying, grade 3 bolts on the front eye will shear like butter. Grade 5 is an accident waiting to happen.

CCWKen
08-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Aw Geez, you beat me to it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

snowman
08-24-2005, 02:27 AM
"The truck bed alone probably weighs around 1000 lbs"

It's an old datsun...

weight is closer to 100-200 lbs http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

overall, a lightweight trailer.

I can pick it up from one end to flip it over, so it isn't toooo heavy!

-Jacob

gunsmith
08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Snowman: I like Weird's idea of welding in the middle but when using the angle iron only use it for alignment. The center of the axle should be bent UP about 3/4" in the center. This is so when a load is in the trailer your wheels will ride flat on the ground not on the inner edge of the tire.

snowman
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
went and bought a 2500 lb axle today...it is bent slightly.

I'll just cut 12" out of the center, six from each side, weld a rod in the center, then find some tubing that I can put over the outside.

-Jacob

CCWKen
08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's an old datsun... weight is closer to 100-200 lbs</font>

LOL... OK. I've got a wheel barrow bigger than that! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif