PDA

View Full Version : Lathe spindle socket ??

gzig5
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
I would like to make a couple of arbors for my little milling machine that has a MT2 spindle. The plan was to buy a MT2-JT3/4 drill chuck arbor and turn the Jacobs part cylindrical to mount a boring head or whatever and drill/tap the back for a drawbar adapter. My lathe has a MT3 spindle bore soooooooo, I need an adapter socket. I have missed three on ebay because I am not willing to spend $30+ for an adapter.

Would there be anything wrong with buying a MT3 to MT2 "Drill Sleeve" adapter and cutting the extra length and tang off at the slot where a drift key would go? These are a lot less expensive than the advertised spindle sockets I have seen. Are they less true because they are designed to work with drill bits?
Greg

PS. I guess I could turn the arbor between centers, but I thought I could get it truer in the spindle. Would probably work best to do it in the mill though, huh?

CCWKen
08-26-2005, 12:11 AM
If I'm getting the idea, the only reason you want the MT3-MT2 sleave is so you can turn the cylinder part? Then you'd turn the arbor around and drill for the draw bar? Then you'd turn it back around and thread the cylinder part?

Why not just get an MT2 arbor for your boring head? Or is the head even threaded?

I'll check to see what's laying around in the accessory drawer.

egpace
08-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Unless you have some super precision equipment available to you, it's always best to final machine adapters in the equipment you intend to use them in. If you choose not to, you'll inherit the errors in runout of the spindle and adapters of the equipment you choose to use. The only way around it is to machine both the taper and the "feature" you desire in the same set-up. With the exception of roundness, the only inaccuracies you should experience using this method, are those inherent in your mill.

Ed

[This message has been edited by egpace (edited 08-26-2005).]