PDA

View Full Version : Sawing bricks

dp
08-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Actually, fake concrete decorative bricks. I'm thinking of buying a cheap assed HF 10" chop saw for trimming some 5" bricks where they follow a 15' radius on a foundation wall. Anyone tried this? I expect to cut maybe 40 cuts before the bearings **** the bed, and the whole thing will go to the dump at the end of the project. I'd like to dry-cut these with maybe a diamond blade or a metal cutoff disk.

dp

winchman
08-25-2005, 02:25 AM
Do you REALLY need to cut them? I did the math (correctly, I think http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif ), and the gap will be 1/2 to 5/8" on the outside if they're touching on the inside. You can probably fill that with mortar.

That's assuming you're using rectangular blocks that are 16" long. Using a larger number of shorter blocks will reduce the gap.

Most of the decorative blocks that Lowes sells are 9", and a few are 12". Almost all have the ends angled so they don't have to be cut to fit closely together on a curve.

Roger

JCHannum
08-25-2005, 07:37 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by winchman:
Most of the decorative blocks that Lowes sells are 9", and a few are 12". Almost all have the ends angled so they don't have to be cut to fit closely together on a curve.

Roger</font>

Even if they didn't a quick hit with a bricklayer's hammer or a hammer and chisel would take care of things.

Tinkerer
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Your talking about those 1/4" facing bricks... right? I'd just use an angle grinder with a fastcut blade. Mark score and tap with hammer clean up and mud in. You'll have better control and be much faster. And a HF grinder is only what $5.00 or so.

Swarf&Sparks
08-25-2005, 09:46 AM
"I'd like to dry-cut these with maybe a diamond blade or a metal cutoff disk."

Why not use the same cheap saw with a masonry cutoff disc?

Ries
08-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Why spend the same amount of money for the wrong tool, as it would cost to buy the right tool for the job?
Harbor Freight sells cheapo diamond blade wet cut tile/brick saws, that are made to do exactly this, and they arent even very expensive.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46225

Or, you could probably rent a good one for one day, and do all your cutting, still for less than the price of destroying a tool that wont really do it right anyway.

Bond
08-25-2005, 10:00 PM
I would rent a wet saw or use a hand grinder too cut a seam to split them. If you dry cut get as far away and down wind as you can.The dust gets in everything.

Joel
08-26-2005, 03:16 AM
I have one of the cheap wet saws. It cost about $60 and has taken several years of frequent use with zero problems. The el-cheapo diamond blades work great and even last a long time.

I have also cut a lot of bricks with a chicom angle grinder and a $5 blade. It isn’t particularly fun, but it works just fine.