X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lynnl
    • Jan 2002

"Silver and Demming ??"

I know this is a trivial question, but I've always wondered about that term. What's the origin of that name? Where those the names of original mfgrs of that type drill?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)
  • Uncle Dunc
    • May 2002

I've seen this question asked in newsgroups and web forums for at least the last 7 years and have never seen an authoritative answer. I vaguely remember seeing a message confirming that there had in fact been a Silver and Deming company, but even that poster couldn't confirm the company as the original or predominant supplier of reduced shank drills.

The FAQ for the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup is available at http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~metal/faqa.html I looked in the list of questions and didn't find Silver and Deming. I did not search the answers because the body of the FAQ is broken up into about a dozen files.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dunc (edited 07-08-2002).]

Comment

• lynnl
      • Jan 2002

Oh well, there are many questions the answers to which I do not know ... I'll just add this one to the long list. I figured this was something every chip maker but me knew. Since life's too short to devote a lot of time researching such as this, I'll just take comfort in the fact that I'm not alone in my ignorance.
      Nevertheless, I do appreciate your input Uncle Dunc.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• bdarin
        • May 2001

That Silver & Deming question is in the same category as "if God is so powerful, can He create a rock so big that he himself cannot lift it?"

Comment

• Thrud
          • Mar 2001

bdarin:
          I think you missed the existential point that "God made Chocolate Milk in glass bottles" but for the selfishness of a few we are robbed of the blessed bounty we call "brown moo juice"!

Comment

• Dmcmurry
            • Aug 2005

This is an old post, but worth responding to. Apparently the company who originally coined the term for the special drills was the Silver and Deming Company and was in business until the 1850's when it sold and became the Industrial Paper Shredder Co. It is still in business and while originally they shredded everything, the market trend is towards smaller runs of paper nowadays.
            The rest is from a search a few years back and I forgot most of it (slept since then). The drillbits apparently came from a need for shorter drillbits in their operations. Whether it was due to height restrictions, ease of carrying a whole set to a jobsite, or possible invention of portable drilling machines. Someone jump on this and help us find the answer.

Comment

• Milacron of PM
              • Apr 2001

www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000061#000000

Comment

• JCHannum
                • Nov 2001

It is Silver & Deming, (not Demming) and has become the generic term for a drill with a reduced diameter shank.

Jim H.

Comment

• Milacron of PM
                  • Apr 2001

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It is Silver & Deming, (not Demming)</font>
                  Seeing as how every person that reponded spelled it Deming, I think he figured that out already

Comment

• madman
                    • Sep 2004

Dammit its demming.

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
                      Silver & Deming was created in 1867 or 1868 after L. A. Dole had died, and Dole, Silver & Deming was renamed. In about 1874, Silver & Deming became Silver & Deming Manufacturing Co. In 1890, the company reportedly split, with one part becoming Silver Manufacturing Co.

Silver & Deming made a variety of machines that were primarily aimed at wheelwrights: hob-boxing machines, spoke-tenoning machines, etc.

Silver & Deming apparently invented the large-size twist drill bit with a turned-down shaft so they can be used in a chuck smaller than the bit's cutting diameter. They did not patent this idea, so the idea was quickly copied by others, but these bits are still called "Silver & Deming drills".
                      </font>
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• bob308
                        • Feb 2005

when i cross over to the other side i have many questions to ask.
                        who did hire crag livingstion?
                        where did s&d drills come from?
                        explain the jacobs taper system?
                        why do i have to pay for other peoples health ins. when i can not pay for my own?
                        does the light realy go out when you close the door?

Comment

• John Stevenson
                          • Mar 2001

Why is there only one Monopolies Commision ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Why do we drift from the main topic?

The drill BITS in question are normally 1/2" shanked.

------------------
                            The tame Wolf !

Comment

• J Tiers
                              • Jan 2004

BTW, the 1/2 inch shank is the "standard" socket on a blacksmith type post drill. That is a "drill press" that is hand cranked and mounts to a post. No chuck, just a socket and set screw.

At one time S&D (or a piece of the company) made those post drills, and presumably made a set of drill bits to use with them.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                              X