PDA

View Full Version : Missing in action

John Stevenson
08-27-2005, 03:34 AM
May be missing for a while.
Hard drive is making weird clicking noises and every so often I get a blue screen with loads of numbers at the top saying Boot Error and run CHKDSK/F

How ? bloody thing won't start.

Backup drive is there but says nothing on it, do I won't to format it?

Is the Pope Jewish? Get lost.

Plus side is it was getting slow anyway and needed a furkle out and a trip to the bottom of the road to get two new drives is quick.

lets face, it England is that small EVERYTHING is at the bottom of my road http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Back when I'm back.

John S.

Your Old Dog
08-27-2005, 06:51 AM
My big machine is down with the same problem I believe. Had I bought Western Digital they would have replaced it for free. I bought a 160 gig Maxtor! When the notebook I'm on now craps out I'll be joining you.

billyboy
08-27-2005, 07:21 AM
hi john,
my pc is networked through karens, hers is also playing up with hardrive problems, blank screen ect,, she has to transfere 150 gigs worth of stuff over to mine to format her hardrive, it'll take most of the day, good luck on your maintanance,,bill

Bill Pace
08-27-2005, 08:47 AM
AArrggh.......the infamous "blue screen of death", and aptley named, too. Hit me back in January after a routine download for an update on an existing program........within 6-8 hours my harddrive was toast. Couldn't even find what bug/virus rode in on it...

bill

motorworks
08-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I am going to upgrade to XP tonite.
Jesus,Budda & Allah help me!

ibewgypsie
08-27-2005, 03:43 PM
boot the EMC cd Linux startup disk, mount the hard drive if it will, copy the files off to another drive. DO NOT FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE. DO not install Linux. NONE of the installations have worked here.

Linux KNoppix is the best rescue you can have. if you have broadband it will connect magically to the internet by grabbing the numbers out of the router.

SOrry, sounds like you got a virus onboard. RUn all the checks for virus and spyware you can.

If you get your files off of it, be happy, lucky, buy a lottery ticket and be prepared next time.

matador
08-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Funny you should mention it,John.Noises,that is.My HDD,or so i thought ,sounded like a jumbo jet on take off,every time i started the pc.
So like a true wimp, i went and bought a new hdd,stuck it in,and after loading XP(not that big a deal,really)started that puppy up.
WWWWWWWHIIIIRRRRRRRR.You guessed it,Jumbo was still flying.I now know it's actually the fan in the power supply,so i'll look at replacing that with a new 4ooW.See ya when ya get back,John.

------------------
Hans

matador
08-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I've just realised,John won't be able to read this.DUH!

------------------
Hans