PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog for Free

madman
08-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Free Fat Furry Mean Groundhog. Anyone want it. Cage does not come with critter. Please bring really thick gloves but he might bite through them also. Like he bit through my welding gloves. Ouch. If the wounds fester im gonna Put Like a Cap In His Fat Ass. I mean Head, HaHa. Might stuff him into the neighbours mailbox and film the postman when he brings the mail. HM the fun you could have with a critter.HM Maybe Ill keep him a bit and feed him fatten him up.

ERBenoit
08-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Guess this means you caught him?

Paul Alciatore
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
If he bit you, you should have animal control check him out for rabies.

And no, I don't want him.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 08-26-2005).]

Paul Alciatore
08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Oops, double post.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 08-26-2005).]

thistle
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Alciatore:
If he bit you, you should have animal contorl check him out for rabies.

And no, I don't want him.

Paul A.</font>

What Paul is trying to say -
"Is the poor thing allright?
wouldnt want the poor groundhog to getindigestion or a disease"

Evan
08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
madman,

Get it checked for rabies. Rabies has been found in groundhogs in Ontario.

Mcgyver
08-26-2005, 11:42 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thistle:
What Paul is trying to say -
"Is the poor thing allright?
</font>
haha

A guy I know, my dad's generation, used to go out coon hunting with a flash light and shot guns. Shine the light up in the trees until you find some then blast away, once they had a trunk full they'd drive down the concession roads stuffing one in every mailbox. I don't get the appeal of the so called "hunt" on level, but the disposal technique somehow hit my mischievous funny bone.

andy_b
08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
if you cut him into thin strips, marinade him for a day, smoke him for several hours, and send him to me as groundhog jerky then i'll take him. otherwise i have plenty of my own to "dispatch".
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

ahidley
08-26-2005, 12:11 PM
I had one of thoes damn things. It bit me. So I hit it in the head with a stick. My god-damn wifey made me take it to the vet to get its front tooth fixed, that the stick knocked out. Now it has a stainless front tooth, cost me $1000.... Does your hog have a stainless tooth? If so I want it back..... Not the hog, just the tooth!

tattoomike68
08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
I would make him a test pilot for a potato gun and make him go for record flight.

Evan
08-26-2005, 12:23 PM
If you take it for a rabies test you won't have to worry what to do with it. They section the brain for that test. They will send the head to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency who does all the tests.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Madman,

If the groundhog bit you, I suggest you take the groundhog to your local vet and make sure you didn't give the poor groundhog rabies http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

BillH
08-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Your wife made you take the ground hog to the vet?
Well, I guess the bigger question is what on earth were you doing to put yourself in a position to get bitten in the first place?
Shotgun does a nice job on them.

pgmrdan
08-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Do get it checked for rabies!

I can't believe it around here. I reported a potentially rabid bat on our parking lot at work when I worked down town. It was foaming at the mouth while laying on the asphalt. I came out that evening and there it was, still laying on the parking lot foaming at the mouth waving its wings.

I asked people about a municipal Rabies Control Department and they looked at me like I was nuts. They said they'd never heard of such a thing. And we're in the biggest metropolitan area in the state.

Some people around here are so stupid that they don't have their horses vaccinated for rabies and piss-and-moan when they lose a horse that cost them thousands of bucks. Booo hooo!

Some people don't take rabies seriously.

Where I used to live (a MUCH larger metropolitan area) if you called the Rabies Control Department about a stray dog or cat or a suspicious mammal they had someone out to check within about an hour. They'd take the animal.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-26-2005).]

lynnl
08-26-2005, 12:32 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andy_b:
if you cut him into thin strips, marinade him for a day, smoke him for several hours, and send him to me as groundhog jerky then i'll take him. otherwise i have plenty of my own to "dispatch".
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.</font>

I tried smoking a ground hog once. But I couldn't keep the darned thing lit!
(..of course that was back when I was a smoker)

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-26-2005).]

BillH
08-26-2005, 12:39 PM
You know, in CT they make a big deal of rabies, have animal control. Upstate NY here, they tell you to kill it yourself and bring it to the lab or ask if it bit you and if it didn't they dont care.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-26-2005, 12:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
I tried smoking a ground hog once. But I couldn't keep the darned thing lit!
(..of course that was back when I was a smoker)

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 08-26-2005).]</font>

You have to really dry it out good. Also remove all of the hair. If you don't like cotten mouth, you DEFINITELY will not like Hairball mouth. Also, make sure you stock up on plenty of potato chips before you lite that thing.

John Stevenson
08-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Dig a deep hole and bury the bastich alive.

thistle
08-26-2005, 01:19 PM
If i am not mistaken some one had already buried the fat furry fooker alive in a hole and along comes madman and digs him up.
Why dont you post a picture ,might do a trade, my bloody cat thinks its a ground hog ,
if it is prettier than old mr fluffy watch the mail.

IOWOLF
08-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Somehow I think alcohol was involved in the catching of the critter.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

moldmonkey
08-26-2005, 06:14 PM
By all means get it tested. I don't know the medical details but once rabies sets in, its all over. The shots must be taken before that. The whole family had the shots in the 80s not a big deal. Our dog had the rarer form where they don't foam at the mouth or get vicious just have serious balance problems as it eats their brain. Something like 5 or 7 in the shoulder and one in the butt.

Also it doesn't have to be a bite. My brother had to have the shots again acouple years ago because he killed a skunk with a shovel and the blood spattered on him. My Grandpa the hunter was probably spinning in his grave.

Paul Alciatore
08-26-2005, 07:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
Do get it checked for rabies!

I can't believe it around here. I reported a potentially rabid bat on our parking lot at work when I worked down town. .......

I asked people about a municipal Rabies Control Department and they looked at me like I was nuts. They said they'd never heard of such a thing. And we're in the biggest metropolitan area in the state.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 08-26-2005).]</font>

Mississippi, right?

Paul A.

charlie coghill
08-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Turn it loose in some animal rights activest yard and let him/her take care of it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

x39
08-26-2005, 07:24 PM
I'd go to the Goodwill store, get a small suitcase and put the little guy in it. Take said suitcase and said groundhog to one of the "seedier" parts of town and leave the whole kit and kaboodle next to a bus stop bench. It'll be someone else's "problem" soon enough. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

jburstein
08-26-2005, 08:04 PM
why not leave it in the suitcase in macy's?

-Justin

Buckshot
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
.......I've heard it proposed that a very good check of a cartidge's stopping ability is to use it on a groundhog, with the shooter between him and his hole.

Rick

Maker
08-26-2005, 10:10 PM
*DISCLAIMER* I dont not believe in being cruel to animals (the non-human variety), but damn if I can't stop thinking about how far I could shoot a groundhog out of my potato/tennisball cannon http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Thanks Tattoomike. I can't stop laughing. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alex

Furnace
08-27-2005, 04:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahidley:
I had one of thoes damn things. It bit me. So I hit it in the head with a stick. My god-damn wifey made me take it to the vet to get its front tooth fixed, that the stick knocked out. Now it has a stainless front tooth, cost me $1000.... Does your hog have a stainless tooth? If so I want it back..... Not the hog, just the tooth!</font>

Thats the funniest thing Ive ever read.

IOWOLF
08-27-2005, 04:51 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Furnace:
Thats the funniest thing Ive ever read.</font>

THATS THE DUMBIST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

SJorgensen
08-27-2005, 09:03 PM
My sister had a pet groundhog when we were kids. I challenge you to hand feed it and to tame it. It takes some time. It's pretty satisfying. You have to be a person who has a higher level of personality. You have to divorce yourself from your emotional reactions like "that little bastard BIT me! I'll show it what happens to things that bite me!"

I've tamed and trained horses, dogs, golphers, hawks, falcons, wild birds etc.

A King once complained "I can bend the wills of a thousand men, and yet I can not get two clocks to agree."

As Machinists we work to get things like clocks to agree. We should also work on that other skill, starting with bending the will of a small animal like a groundhog. Be assured that if you have a groundhog with a lot of fight, you also have a groundhog with a lot of heart. If you aren't hungry, there is no reason to kill it. If you did kill it then you would have learned nothing about it, or about yourself.
No, that isn't right, you would know something more about yourself. You like flies and magots better than groundhogs.

PolskiFran
08-27-2005, 09:21 PM
I have "disposed of" 8 groundhogs this year so far. Thanks for the offer, but I have my own supply. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Frank

Mcgyver
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
taking things to a more thoughtful level made me realize you should not overlook the economic potential of the situation

http://www.savetoby.com/

savechucky.com is available

SJorgensen
08-27-2005, 09:49 PM
I have nothing against eating groundhogs. If I was hungry and I caught a groundhog, it might make half a meal. We all know that they taste like chicken. I'd catch a bunch and make a stew.

ibewgypsie
08-27-2005, 10:00 PM
My dad gave me a recipe for cooking possum.

get a fresh bottle of wine out and open the cork (or unscrew the cap). Take a cedar shingle, nail the possum to it, put it into the oven to cook, when it smells good, take it out of the oven, throw the possum away, eat the shingle and drink the wine.

Be happy if you got more than that to eat.

Evan
08-27-2005, 10:22 PM
So, if you go to a fine resturant and they don't have the particular wine you like you may take your own bottle. They will charge you a fee for opening the bottle. If it is a cork it is called "corkage". If it is a screw cap is it screwage?

x39
08-27-2005, 11:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJorgensen:
We all know that they taste like chicken. </font>

I always thought chicken tasted kinda like groundhog.

Furnace
08-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Its dumbest not dumbist

madman
08-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Wow popular topic those groundhogs, Dont worry though i dont think i gave that hog Rabies. Ill keep an eye on him a while and make sure he doesnt start spraying white foam out of his mouth. He really likes apples. I give him the nice red ones. As for digging a hole to burt him we may keep him a while. Gonna fatten him up xmas is coming up and we always have lots of people over to eat our food. What they dont know wont hurt em.