PDA

View Full Version : Good collet description website.

JRouche
08-27-2005, 10:50 AM
http://www.cox-internet.com/drspiff/machining/collets/Collets.htm

moldmonkey
08-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the link. Nice to have all that in one place especially the Acura -Flex. I have a Kwik-Switch adaptor on my mill and have been trying to build up a set of colets and collet holders in AF 1".

Jon

aboard_epsilon
08-27-2005, 12:31 PM
and whats this suposed to mean.....QUOTE FROM THAT SITE

" DA collet chucks are not designed for milling, as excessive chuck nut tightening may crack the thread area of the chuck."

Does it mean that every DA collet chuck I have is practically useless and only should be used for drilling...
I've just spent a lot of money on these ....

all the best..mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 08-27-2005).]

JRouche
08-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Looks like it is something he pulled from the lyndex site, see the small "1" after the text, it references a dead link (http://www.lyndex.com/cc.html).

His page looks to be old and the links are outdated but the collet info looks good.

D/A collets are prolly the least powerful in grip compared to the other milling collets. People have a tendency to over tighten the collet nut to prevent end mill pull-out. Maybe there was damage to collet chucks because of this. JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 08-27-2005).]

Paul Alciatore
08-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Interesting site.

As for the suitability of the DAs for milling, one thing about those collets is the rather steep angles used. These angles will not provide the mechanical advantage when closing that a MT, a 5C, or a R8 will with their much shallower angles. Therefore it will be harder to get a tight grip on a milling cutter. I suspect this is the reason for the statement that they are not intended for milling.

I see no reason not to use them if you are taking light cuts and have not experienced any trouble with them. But I would keep this in mind in case problems do develop.

I noticed that the 5C was fully dimensioned in the drawing on the site. I am making a copy of this because I hope to make a 5C adapter for my SB9. It is interesting that all the dimensions on this drawing are metric except the thread which is 1 1/4 - 20. ????? Is the 5C defined in metric dimensions or is this just the author's preference?

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 08-27-2005).]

LES A W HARRIS
08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Re: 5C collet dims on the site. I have the 5C od thread down as 1.240-20 rh, & the id thread as 1.047-24 rh, Not 1.25-20 & 1.00-24 as the site gives???? Les H.

Forrest Addy
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Dingety Dang it! Whyn't they put in taper angles and other manufacturing details for us guys that sometimes have to make stuff.