PDA

View Full Version : bevel protractor

T-Slot
10-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Would a bevel protractor be a good tool for setting the blade angle on a tablesaw? Have tried several tools from woodoworking suppliers but they have proven to be inaccurate.

SGW
10-14-2002, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure the design of a bevel protractor will permit you to measure the sawblade angle directly very well, but you can always make a test cut on a piece of scrap and measure that angle. The "as cut" result is what matters, anyway.

T-Slot
10-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the response, SGW. Seems like there ought to be a tool to lay on the table, slide it up against the blade, and set the angle directly without having to transfer the angle to another tool or make test cuts. Anybody else? Thanks, Todd

chip's
10-14-2002, 09:31 PM
I don't know if you talking about a tee bevel or not but I have used this before to set blade angle. On critical cuts I still check the angle with a piece of scrap to mating piece before making all the cuts.

Uncle Dunc
10-15-2002, 04:03 AM
Setting the angle directly from the table with a bevel protractor or any other tool assumes that the two sides of the blade are parallel, that the sides are parallel to the plane of rotation and that there are no burrs at the bottoms of the gullets. I wouldn't bet on any one of those conditions being true, much less all three of them.

Thrud
10-15-2002, 04:10 AM
T-Slot:
A protractor head on a combination square works well as it has a wide base to set against the teeth. This will usually get it dead on in one shot. Some guys actually use the indicator built into the saw (the one with the wheel). If you are picky or working with expensive hardwood - measure twice, cut once.

Paul Gauthier
10-15-2002, 02:15 PM
What Thrud says works well except that it is a little difficult to see as one must have the saw blade below the table. Follow the link for visual explanation.

http://webpages.charter.net/dragonrider/images/tablesawbladeangles/

Other photos show other methods and how to use them, none of these are satisfactory.

Recently I ordered a "dial protractor" from Grizzly made for just this purpose but have not recieved it yet. Will let you know how it works.

------------------
Paul G.

T-Slot
10-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Thanks all, I can't believe that somebody doesn't make a tool for setting these angles.[that works] The Gauge-It tool that most of the woodworking supplliers sell is the right idea if they would machine it out of aluminum or something. The plastic one that I had was woefully inaccurate. I tried the dial protractor from Grizzly but I sent that back too. The round part of the protractor hit the table before the blade, thus holding the blade up off the table. Also, the locking mechanism wasn't very good Thought maybe a bevel protractor that was a little better made would be the ticket. When I want to square the blade with the table, I slap a 6" machinist square up against the blade and that's it. Square cut. They make all kinds of fancy tools to set the blade square[when a square will work], but nothing to set random angles.

Thrud
10-16-2002, 12:12 AM
They do make tools for setting the blade - see Garret-Wade or Lee Valley Tools or make one.

jim
10-16-2002, 02:39 AM
"I have cut this board three times... and it's still to short"

That is actually one of my thoughts spoken aloud, and it was, still to short. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//redface.gif

I clame exstenuating cercomstances! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif