PDA

View Full Version : Touch Chuck from MW

Michael C
08-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Has anyone built the Touch Chuck that Robert Beaupre wrote up in the Aug issue of MW? Reason I ask is I am trying to figure out how to assemble this relatively simple project. Just can't figure out how to get a 5/16-24 set screw thru a 1/4" hole where the chuck part mounts. Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

joahmon
08-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Just a guess, but maybe the spring and set screw are put in place before the sliding spindle is pinned to the fixed slot spindle?

BTW, isn't the spec for the pin chuck hole .372 ? If your pin chuck is .25 you may have to "bush it out"

[This message has been edited by joahmon (edited 08-28-2005).]

J Harp
08-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Michael:

The drawing (of the sliding spindle) shows the hole where the chuck mounts as .372. Photo 12 shows the .250 shaft on the chuck being parted off, the chuck mounts on the larger dimension which you can see sticking out of the collet a bit. If you use the pin chuck specified in the article it should work, a different chuck might require doing things differently. Good luck with the project, I haven't built it but am keeping it in mind in case I get hold of a press that will drive the small drills fast enough.

------------------
Jim

Michael C
08-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Thank you for your help. I miss understood the plans. Thanks again, it works fine.

Michael