PDA

View Full Version : Everyone please pray!

wierdscience
08-28-2005, 09:50 AM
About 1,000,000 people are in harms way,please pray that there is no loss of life from this storm.

As it stands now it is a Cat5 storm meaning heavy rains and 160+ mph sustained winds.

The danger from this storm also stretches much further north than the coastal states.8-10" possibly 15" of rain is expected on the east side of the eye,this can extend easily all the way up to Tennesse and Arkansas.The last storm this size to hit was Cammille,more people died in flooding as far north as Virginia than died in the storm itself.

New Orleans looks to get slammed hard,if you have any relatives living there urge them to leave and head north.

Please pray for us!

winchman
08-28-2005, 11:15 AM
I feel sorry for those who haven't left yet, and even more so for those who can't leave. This storm has all the makings of a catastrophe with the possibility of thousands dead.

If I were there now, I'd head west. That's the weak side of the storm, and you would probably only have to go 75 miles. You'd have to go much further north. This storm will still be near hurricane strength when it gets to TN.

I remember Hugo, which came into Charleston, SC, and proceeded to wreak havoc all the way to Charlotte, NC. A lot of the people who left the coast near Charleston got clobbered in motels between Columbia and Charlotte.

Look out for another jump in the price of gas, too.

Roger

egpace
08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
katrina just missed my Mom on the gulf coast of Florida. Please God have mercy. Amen

John Lawson
08-28-2005, 11:22 AM
New Orleans is expected to be under 20 feet of water. This is truly unprecedented in human history.
It will take an act of God to divert the storm from New Orleans.
Direct your prayers to God, Allah, Buddha and Marie LeBow, but lend your feelings to our fellow human beings who are presently being evacuated in anticipation of this potentially cataclysmic storm of Biblical proportions. It could well result in the greatest devastation in human history, since the Air Force plane that flew into the eye reported sustained winds of 175 mph and gusts of 225 mph or better.
New Orleans, remember, is below sea level and the dikes and levees will not hold under these conditions.

JRouche
08-28-2005, 11:38 AM
I had no idea!
Until I checked here, then turned on the news (MSN).
Unbelievable! I do pray for all the folks who are gonna be affected by this storm.
JRouche.

tattoomike68
08-28-2005, 02:29 PM
After it makes landfall in can spawn tornadoes north east of the eye.

this is truly looking very bad.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

ibewgypsie
08-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I read a supposed goverment document once..

They BOMBED the eye of a hurricane off the Atlantic coast. They thought they'd blow it apart. It turned and went inland and destroyed millions of dollars in property.

ANyone know, is this true or a myth?

Friends, you have my prayers. My wife asked the church this morning too. Perhaps the big guy will listen to some more better behaved that I have been in my life.

David

sandman2234
08-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Most major roads going out of New Orleans have been changed to "one way" allowing traffic only to leave, and giving twice as much concrete to support what has become a parking lot. 24 hours is the expected amount of time it is taking to drive to Shreveport and that isn't out of the path of it.
As noted, fuel prices will probably be affected, due to the refineries located in south La.
However, the bottom is fixing to fall out on the price of firewood. You probably won't be able to give it away.
Excuse me while I go say another prayer.
David from jax

jr45acp
08-28-2005, 04:30 PM
My heartfelt concerns go out to all in the path of this most destructive storm. I lite candles and said extra prayers at Mass this morning.

John B

BillH
08-28-2005, 07:02 PM
My aunt and uncle live in New Orleans, they left already. There house should be 20ft under, right between the Missisippi River, and lake Pontchatrain.

charlie coghill
08-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I sure feel for the people that are living in the way of the storm. Sure glad that I live here in the N.W. Take care guys.

wierdscience
08-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Well the first feeder bands are moving in,another 8-10 hours and we should be in the thick of it,still looking like a direct hit on N.O.

Everyone in the continental US had better go fill your tanks.The area this storm is heading through is the largest oil off loading point in the county.Prices will spike this week.Not to mention that last year in Ivan 37 rigs and production platforms were damaged,and that was over where they aren't as densly grouped.

They shut down contra-flow on the interstates an hour ago,the traffic has thinned down to less than normal levels,everybody who can leave has.They opened the Super Dome for a shelter,they say itssupposed to take 170 mph winds,guess we'll find out.

BillH
08-28-2005, 07:28 PM
New Orleans area, provides 25% of our domestic oil supply, so yeh, gas prices WILL rise.

spope14
08-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Most of the inner East is going to be heavily affected, as well as residual and heavy affecting all the way into New England and Canada near Nova scotia. This one will not burn out very quickly.

It is good to review Emergency prep at this time if you live in the Mid Atlantic States inland as well as New Orleans, and even through New England. May be nothing, but peace of mind is a good thing.

billyboy
08-28-2005, 07:37 PM
hi,
im praying for all those people whos caught up in this, this is really terrible, we in england are all hoping you are all fine and come out of this safe and well, its 01:15am in england and i will stay up and keep an eye on sky news, when is this storm expected to hit the main land? mine and karens hearts go out to you all, please keep as safe as possible, and good luck too all.

bill

torker
08-28-2005, 08:34 PM
weird...I just got in and read this. Holy Smoke!!! I hope you all fare ok down there! That's unreal what I just saw on CNN. 20' of water possible in New Orleans! Good Luck buddy!
Russ

docsteve66
08-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Sure hope every one makes it through safely. If the eye will just pass between New Orleans and Mississippi the winds will push water down the river and maybe the water will not rise over the levee. Lots of fine people in that area. Wishing them all the best of luck
Steve

x39
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

ANyone know, is this true or a myth?

David</font>

Dave, true, but not exactly the way you heard it. It happened in England back in the late forties or fifties, I saw it on a show about weather control a while back.

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-28-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm watching CNN right now, and it looks like they have both sides of the highways going out.. I guess this is serious...

-Adrian

sandman2234
08-29-2005, 12:14 AM
The one way out traffic, generally replaced after the storm by one way in, has become common for hurricanes. Gives people a chance to get out without getting stuck in their cars.
Ga. has installed railroad crossing bars at the exit/entrance ramps to help with the traffic flow. Florida hasn't gotten that wise yet, or doesn't want tourists to know we have hurricanes down here.
David from jax

SJorgensen
08-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Of course I hope for the best but I have an extra hope for any of our members that might be in harms way.

I'm really hard hit with energy expenses already. So I've been thinking of ways to generate power in order to fight back against the power utilities. If a man had a few really robust windmills in the area, how much power could he generate? What about putting turbine generaters in drain tubes of skyscrapers?

One good storm could make a man rich.

darryl
08-29-2005, 01:44 AM
Best of luck to everyone affected by this. It sure makes me appreciate the relatively sedate conditions we have to 'put up with'.

Maker
08-29-2005, 02:07 AM
The forecast doesn't look good.
I'm agnostic, but for this I'll say a prayer.

Alex

Evan
08-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Welcome to global warming. I spent a part of the day bucking up some dead pine trees here. Here in BC we have millions of dead pine trees. It's a catastrophe. It is going to make the aftermath of this hurricane look like a cake walk. The winters have warmed enough that it isn't cold enough any more to kill the pine bark beetles. I have 100% kill of the pines on my property. I still have about 50 trees to take down. The only good thing is that this is only about 0.1% of the trees on my property. My area is mostly Fir trees.

Here in BC we have millions and millions of acres of dead pine trees because it hasn't gotten cold enough in the winter any more to kill the pine bark beetles. We will have a very short lived boom as the companies try to salvage the standing dead timber. Then, we are hosed. Everywhere I look I see dead trees. The only good thing is that where I live it is mostly Fir trees. Drive a couple of hours north of here and the forest is all red and dead. The death toll will increase as people commit suicide when they cannot feed their family. Others will die when the RED DEAD forest goes up in flames in the next couple of years.

This really sucks. It can't be stopped. I will probably have to close my business when the work dries up.

So, hurricanes aren't the only problem.

Evan
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-4-2/27513.html

JCHannum
08-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Pine bark beetles are nothing new. Georgia offers these tips to control them;

http://www.forestpests.org/gfcbook/pinebark.html

Evan
08-29-2005, 12:52 PM
No, they aren't new. The climate is though. Control by prescribed burn or harvesting is impossible now. There is simply too much dead timber. It's impossible to describe what it looks like. Huge areas as far as the eye can see are dead. When they burn, and they will, it will sterilize the soil so that no regrowth will be possible for many decades. The mycelium fungus in the soil will be killed when such large stands of totally dead trees burn because they burn so hot. The trees depend on the fungus and without it they cannot grow so replanting will not work. This also isn't new but the scale is.

We dodged a bullet so far this year as we had a very wet early summer and have had comparatively few fires. When it does burn it is going to have an impact felt everywhere in North America in some manner. I don't mean the direct effects of the fires but the loss of about 1/5 of the timber supply for North America.

What is so unusual about this beetle epidemic is the complete kill of all trees. Virtually none survive no matter what age they are or state of health. Beetles usually only kill the overmature trees in a stand which makes room for future growth of the younger trees. Not this time. The kill rate is total, even in areas like the valley I live in where pines are spread thin.

pgmrdan
08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Evan said, "Welcome to global warming. I spent a part of the day bucking up some dead pine trees here. Here in BC we have millions of dead pine trees. It's a catastrophe. It is going to make the aftermath of this hurricane look like a cake walk. The winters have warmed enough that it isn't cold enough any more to kill the pine bark beetles. I have 100% kill of the pines on my property."

If all of your pine trees are dying because it's too warm to kill the beetles then how are ours surviving?

Evan
08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Different species of pine have different resistance to pine bark beetles. Generally we have mainly lodgepole pine here which has a low resistance to attack. This is thought to be because in the past the cold winters were sufficient to keep the beetles under control. We used to see -40 degrees without fail every winter and I have seen it a low as -50. This is enough to kill 90 percent of the beetles. We haven't had -40 here for a decade or so. In general, the farther south you go the more resistant the pine species are.

The pines are not the only thing suffering. River temperatures are way up in the last decade. This has nearly totally wiped out the sturgeon in the Fraser River and is now threatening the salmon stocks. The August Fraser River salmon run is at less than half of what was expected and all non-native commercial fishing has been cancelled.

mochinist
08-29-2005, 04:45 PM
We have had a pine bark beetle problem here in Arizona(yes we are not all desert, we have a huge ponderosa forest) for about 4 years now, and believe me it doesnt get anywhere close to -40 or -50deg in the winter here. The pine beetles attack weak tree's, whether they were made weak by drought or disease it doesn't matter, the beetles will finish them off.

IOWOLF
08-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Ok, I am no genious but I would not send 20,000 people to a hi tech tent for shelter.

and now it has a hole in it.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-29-2005, 05:23 PM
"I'm not doing too good right now," Chris Robinson told the AP via cell phone from his home east of the city's downtown. "The water's rising pretty fast. I got a hammer and an ax and a crowbar, but I'm holding off on breaking through the roof until the last minute. Tell someone to come get me please. I want to live."

What do you say to someone like that?

"You stu&$&%^&^ $%??$% $&^$%^$ $%$%%^$ $&%?&%&$ $?&&??%$ $%???$% moth$&^$%^$ f$%$%%^$ moro$%??$% $&^$%^$ $%$%%^$ $%??$% sh$&^$%?^$ $%$%%^$ idio$%????$% $&^$%^$ $%$%%^$ incomp$%??$% $&^$%^$ $%$%%^$ loo$%??$% $&^$%?^$ $%$%%^$ $%??$% $&^$%^$ $%$%%^$, we told you to evacuate!" - ??

charlie coghill
08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
For you southern people, I hope that things are starting to settle down now. It lookds like the whole East coast will feel the affects of this storm.

Here on the West coast, we will feel it in our wallets http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

torker
08-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I just came up from the shop and turned on CNN...WOW...what a bloody mess you all have down there. Seems to me you might be wanting a couple of truck loads of 2X4's!
I still can't believe the carnage. Hope all our guys here are safe and didn't suffer too much damage.
Russ

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-30-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't understand why so many people stayed. If someone told me that tomorrow my bathtub is going to be overflowing from the outside in, I'm grabbing my animals, some hard disks, the wife, and we're out of there..

dp
08-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Global warming is not unique to our planet. The climate is warming but its not from SUV's or fossil fuels or factory smoke stacks. Something is happening on the sun.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mars_ice-age_031208.html

And we don't have any way to control it. All we can do is plan and adapt. Change is coming and Kyoto is not the answer. We need to explore crops appropriate to the new and changing climate, and ways to manage new rain fall patterns. Farmers, not dooms day scientists nor greenie types, are the future.

I wrote it on the Internet - it must be true.

dp

speedy
08-30-2005, 04:59 AM
That area seems to be prone to this type of weather system. The people of this place must be a resilient lot. Thinking of you all.Kia Kaha
I reckon this is worth a read:
http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050829_ap_katrina_levees.html
Ken

ibewgypsie
08-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Anyone heard from Weird?

3 Phase Lightbulb
08-30-2005, 07:10 PM
If we haven't heard anything since his first message, then he's probably OK and was one of the smart ones that evacuated early..

-Adrian

IOWOLF
08-30-2005, 07:14 PM
He posted 2 messages,didn't he?The second wasnt to promiseing.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

torker
08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
I emailed Darin yesterday...still haven't heard from him. Sure hope he's alright.

madman
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Horrifying the aftermath looting and so on could be bad. They say we will be getting more and more of these killer storms as the earths ozone global warming **** happens. Time to dig deep and buy build a hurricane shelter. Buy canned food bottled water and ammo. PS dont forget the cat food.

madman
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Horrifying the aftermath looting and so on could be bad. They say we will be getting more and more of these killer storms as the earths ozone global warming **** happens. Time to dig deep and buy build a hurricane shelter. Buy canned food bottled water and ammo. PS dont forget the cat food.

ibewgypsie
08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, Like I would want to be locked in a storm shelter with a cat and no litter box. I'd eat the cat first week. Roll him up in spicy flour and stir fry. (our cat don't go outside, no claws) I love him, but his crap stinks and we have a box of crap in our house.

When your home gets blown away, you live in the storm shelter as you rebuild.

Yeah I have a storm shelter here. We have tornados. If you don't sleep in it thou you wil not be in it unless you have a pre-warning that wakes you up.

I too emailed Weird.