PDA

View Full Version : locating holes

milmat1
10-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Hey Guys:
I generaly will layout with a square that is set using my calipers, scribe and punch the workpiece. However i need to be a bit more presice than this. I am using a smithy 3 in 1 machine. Doing model engine building, where things need to be in the correct place. Will an optical punch provide better results?

Oso
10-13-2002, 09:26 PM
So you have one dimension that has a dial on it, the crosslide.

If you can mark up a dial for the lead screw somehow, you will have an x-y table, which every drill press should have.
Find one and set up the others. Use the mill head to drill.

Otherwise, there are a number of possibilites as far as faceplate tricks.

milmat1
10-16-2002, 08:50 PM
Thanks OSO:
The smithy has dials on the leadscrew and crosslide. But how is the best way to locate the edge without making a cut? I have seen edge finders but dont realy understand how to use one..

------------------

Oso
10-16-2002, 09:35 PM
You get the loose end of the cylindrical finder rotating with the body, then crank table slowly until it is knocked loose again by the part.

At that time you are 1/2 the diameter of the loose end away from the part with your spindle centerline ON THE AXIS YOU WERE CRANKING. You may need to do it again for the other way.

Of course the finder is mounted and rotating with the spindle.

Or, a pointy ended piece of rod, if made concentric, can be put in and eyeballed onto the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oso (edited 10-16-2002).]

Randy
10-17-2002, 07:51 AM
Yes, get an edgefinder. They're not too expensive, easy to use, and remarkably accurate. Just play with it a while and you'll get the hang of it in no time.