PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Launcher

Mike Gibson
08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Has anyone built the two liter bottle launcher described in the Oct/Nov 2002 HSM.
I recently did and it was a fun project and it works like the article says. I guess it wasn't a very productive project but all the kid's in the neighborhood like to watch and get wet as the bottle takes off.
I hope the picture appears.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/texasgreaper/Launcher/04dafe6a.jpg

BillH
08-30-2005, 05:44 PM
When I was a kid, I threaded on an air compressor nipple coupler to the bottle cap of soda bottles and launched em across the yard. Just glad non blew up in my face

Mike Burdick
08-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Mike,

I made one of those for my kids about 8 years ago. Can't tell from the picture - did you use a bicycle pump? That's what I used.

You know, it was fun to use it. I enjoyed it as much as the children did!

-Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 08-30-2005).]

Mike Gibson
08-30-2005, 06:00 PM
I used an air compressor and a ball valve in the line about 30 feet away. There is a 90 psi relief valve you can see in the picture. The spool of string is to keep away when the trigger is pulled.
I first tested it inside a heavy duty box surrounding it. I didn't want any surprises. Once I felt comfortable that nothing would explode I removed the box still staying away with the ball valve and string. When I pulled the trigger the bottle left so fast I couldn't see it until it was up in the air.

tattoomike68
08-30-2005, 06:28 PM
thats great, it looks to be built plenty stout.

good job.

winchman
08-30-2005, 08:34 PM
A while back, I tested a soft drink bottle that had laid in the sun long enough for the label to fade. It held at 120 psi, which is all my compressor would deliver.

What kind of black plastic is that? Or is it plastic?

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 08-30-2005).]

Mike Gibson
08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
The article on building the launcher said the bottles were rated for 200 psi but he had not verified.
I once built a potato cannon and was testing the diaphragm to see if it would fire the cannon correctly. I used a lightly crumpled sheet of newspaper for the projectile. It went right through the sheetrock wall.

Mike Gibson
08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
The plastic is an unknown variety but I had used it on other projects before. I tested pieces of it in a vice using a hammer to try and break it but it just deformed and never shattered. Got it out of a plastic sign makers scrap bin. I almost thought it was Delrin.

cam m
08-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi All

Nice job on the launcher!

I've used a somewhat different launcher intermittently for about 5 years. My launcher follows a design I found on the net and uses cable ties as a collet type release. I've found that the 2 litre bottles will withstand launches (and landings)at up to 100 psi almost indefinitely, but after a few launches one ruptured at about 120 psi. Thankfully, the plastic did not shatter, but ruptured in a tear type rip with no shrapnel. Bottle rockets are infamous through our neighborhood and I've made several launchers to give away on a strict use at own risk basis.
Cam

[This message has been edited by cam m (edited 08-30-2005).]

[This message has been edited by cam m (edited 08-30-2005).]

madman
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
i BUILT THE KIDS A GOLF BALL CANNON. bLACK POWDER AND LET ER GO. iMPRESSIVE DISTANCE AND HEIGHT. iTS MY LOW BUCK NEWFIE ANTI IRAQI AIRCRAFT GUN.

JCHannum
08-31-2005, 12:08 PM
The bottles are manufactured from PET, polyethylene terephthalate.

Bottles not used in rocket launchers are recycled into carpet.

Paul Alciatore
08-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Seems like they used to sell water/air propelled rockets for kids. You put in some water and pumped it up by hand and let fly. They would go 100' or more. If I recall correctly, they even had a two stage model. I'm not sure how they did the stageing as I never had that model.

Great fun on a summer afternoon.

Paul A.

gizmo2
08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
What do you mean, "it wasn't a very productive project" ??? How far could you THROW an empty bottle before this? I'd say it is practically indespensible! Nice work.

Arbo
08-31-2005, 10:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madman:
i BUILT THE KIDS A GOLF BALL CANNON. bLACK POWDER AND LET ER GO. iMPRESSIVE DISTANCE AND HEIGHT. iTS MY LOW BUCK NEWFIE ANTI IRAQI AIRCRAFT GUN.</font>

What did you use for the barrel? That has been a long time round-to-it for me.

Arcane
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Paul, I had a 3 rocket model of that toy when I was a little kid. If I recall correctly, they used keyhole shaped slots in a slide to hold each rocket down and they simply varied the slot lengths to allow individual launches. It was a neat toy.