08-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Can any of you canadian cousins tell
me where I can get a Smartcar diesel
enrine?
Thanks
Mont

Evan
08-31-2005, 12:42 PM
You can ask these guys. I doubt you will like the price.

Three Point Motors
2546 Government Street
Victoria, British Columbia
V8T 4P7 Canada
Sales: 250.385.6737
Service: 250.385.6737
Parts: 250.385.1408
Fax: 250.385.2825
Email: info@threepointmotors.com

Spin Doctor
08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Speaking of the SmartCar and other similiar "city" cars. With the rising costs of fuel and then push for greater milage does anyone think we will see the day when the DOT will allow the use of such vehicles in the US even if they don't meet current crash wothiness standards. After all we accept the extra risks of motorcycles, bicycles and scooters.

In a related item regarding government regulations. NASA is considering using a 5 segment SRB for the CEV launch vehicle or for unmanned missions below the mass required for the proposed ET based Shuttle Derived Heavy Lift Vehicle. The SDHLV can also use the 5 segment along with the curent 4 segment design. From what I have seen OSHA has told Nasa that the depth requirements for divers that would have to rcover the 5 segment exceed current allowable limits and would not be allowed. Without getting into a debate on the value or worth of NASA isn't this the kind of BS that led to NASA and Lockheed Martin having to change the foam used on the Shuttle's external tank in the first place

ricksplace
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
The last information I read about the Smart Car was that Mercedes (who makes them) was not going to introduce the car into the USA since the subcompact market is only 20% and the large truck and SUV market is 60% in the USA. The percentages are just about reversed in Canada. And while I'm not sure I believe it, apparently, the car fared very well in crash tests. There are a few here in Thunder Bay. Damn they're small!!

Since they're only 8 feet long, they can park straight into a parking spot instead of parallel parking. They look like a roller skate. The local dealer here has a waiting list.

GMSteve455
08-31-2005, 02:39 PM
They make a lot of sense (or cents depending on how you look at it). What kind of mileage are they getting? I've read a little about common rail diesel technology that allows over 100 mpg. I think Volvo has a D5 common rail that they are putting in passenger cars in Europe. It would be interesting to fit one of them into my old 740 wagon. I wonder how many thousands I'd have to spend to get one of them.

JPR
08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by baler22:
Can any of you canadian cousins tell
me where I can get a Smartcar diesel
enrine?
Thanks
Mont</font>
The US version is called TDI bug.
Seriously, in Europe, at least Germany, the average car size is a lot smaller, so the Smartcar is not drawfed as badly. The average car has less than a 2.0L engine and big trucks have bumpers on the side so as not drive over cars. I would not be too scared to own or drive one over there, but not here with highways filled with Suburbans, Excursions and pickups.

ricksplace
08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
GMsteve -apparently, they get over 80mpg. The engine is a 800cc three cylinder turbocharged diesel. The TDI golf gets pretty good mileage too, but at a much higher price. The base model of the Smart Car lists for about $16,000 CDN.

matador
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Since MB loses a potful of money on every one of these toy cars they make,I doubt you guys will ever see them in the USA.The 4 door model and the new roadster spin-off have both been canned.MB has enough trouble with it's slide in quality to keep it's own head above water.
Sure,the design is great in theory,but with gas going the way it is,we'll all be taking the electric or natural gas powered bus before long. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif.

------------------
Hans

QSIMDO
08-31-2005, 05:51 PM
I encountered a gentleman in Great Barrington Mass. about a month ago who rolled into the McDonald's there one Sunday morning in a Smartcar.
Apparently a company other than Mercedes has been established to introduce the smartcar to the U.S. and they are HQ'd in California.
His was a diesel so I assume he was down from Canada as the Smartcar web site said the diesel would only be available from Canada in N. America.
He said his was good for 75+ mpg and that the gas models wouldn't be far behind that.
They do have a web site...darn if I didn't bookmark it but Google has it.
Several interesting models and the one I saw had superb fit & finish.

Old Time
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
The Smart cars are being distributed by Zap Enterprises who makes and sells electric bicycles and scooters. They are in Santa Rosa, CA, but from reading the local paper they are quita qays from having a plentiful supply. I get the impression the Government hasn't approved them for sale in this country.

jstinem
09-01-2005, 08:43 AM
I read, on the net, a few weeks ago that the lions in a British safari park were following the visting Smartcars around. Appearently, the Smartcars are so small that the lions saw then as potential prey! At the time of the article there had not been an attact but staff was watching over the smartcars carefully just in case.
Joe