PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Apprentice Scraper Hands

Martin
10-15-2002, 11:18 AM
Since we (100+) will soon be receiving our Machine Recon Books, I have started looking for sources of scraping suppliers. A company in Conn. called Dapra has scraping supplies. There are other companies as well, some still in business and some not.
I spoke with a Dapra sales rep today and they are willing to work a discount on price.
For the average "joe" to walk in and buy a scraper handle, a 4 sided carbide insert, gauge, & spotting dye would cost about $110, give or take. With an order of 20 or more, they are willing to discount.
I plan on searching some other possible suppliers.
But I think if many of us are planning on doing something with this book, then we need to start using our numbers as purchasing leverage.

Bob Quale
10-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Martin

I am interested. What kind of guage is included in this package? In any case, I am interested so count me in.

jr45acp
10-15-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm interested, but would need the dollar bottom line before committing! got to keep the wife happy ya know!

------------------
John B

jr45acp
10-15-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm interested, but would need the dollar bottom line before committing! got to keep the wife happy ya know!

------------------
John B

mattdrag
10-15-2002, 09:40 PM
I read about another guy that used there scrappers and dye-was very happy. He said he bought it though MSC. I thought i might try them. If you work anything out let me know. Greg--mattdrags@earthlink.net

Thrud
10-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Martin:
You do know that all you really need is a skanky old file with a handle. Wrapping the file itself is easier on the hands, but you could always buy some kevlar gloves (great for welding too!). An old file is free - like, I don't know anyone who throw them out! And Prussian blue is cheap - Dyekem or oil paint from an art store...

You could always make a scraper from an old carbide insert brazed onto a steel handle...

Or you can buy it, but if you wanted to shell out a $100 clams for a scraper you would have just bought the book at full price.

kgarver
10-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi Martin & Thrud,

I have made a scraper out of the nasty old file and while it works well it doesn't stay sharp too long even after heat treating it. They are not HSS but rather high carbon steel (according to the technical engineers at Nickelson). Files, I found out, are only surface hardened. Just the teeth and about .005" into the body by the induction process I think. So when you grind off the teeth and radius the end you have soft materail! Also many people don't have access to a "gas wrench" to heat treat the file after sharpening or a surface grinder to get a really professional looking/working job. Fortunately I do and I made mine for the cost of an old 14" file, a piece of aluminum for the ferrule and a 2" diameter piece of pine for the handle. Looks really spiffy and cost me zero.

Ah, but I completely forgot to count the cost of the oxy/acetelyne tanks and the torches and that surface grinder. I'd guess about $900 ought to cover it nicely! I'm a pretty shrewd shopper.

BTW the high class carbide scrapers I've seen all have indexable carbide inserts so you can easily remove the carbide for easy sharpening on your surface grinder w/diamond wheels that can go for $100 a pop or more. You could use the green silicon carbide wheels but you'll never get the finish of a professionally made diamond ground insert. The inserts are also made in different shapes and sizes so you can replace them to get into small dovetails too. Just like the ones found on small HS machines!

For someone without all of the above and some knowledge of heat treating a deep discounted professionally made carbide or even HSS scraper would be just the ticket! Yeah, if the price is right, and I ever get my sanity back after the book deal I might even spring for one.

Regards, Ken

dellinger1140
10-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Hi Guys, I too am one of the 100+. Thought you might find this web page interesting. I dont know who Tony is, Maybe he is one of our members, but here is the link to his web page.
http://www.csgnet.net/toolroom/scrape1.htm
Wayne

Wingnut
10-17-2002, 01:39 AM
I'm interested in the idea. You don't have an e-mail addy on the board here. Let us know here as more news/choices come up. Thanks. TTFN, da nut!

Martin
10-17-2002, 11:29 PM
I have located a presicion level from SPI for about $150 on a web site. And the one web site listed above with Tony as the host has cast straight edges which can be machined and hand finished. I think that would be a great "first" project.
I spoke with a guy who just retired from GoodYear's tire mold plant and mentioned that I was looking for a "bridge" straight edge. He winced and told me that he had been ordered to throw out a 5 foot precision straight edge. This same company just closed and will at some point be having a sale of tooling and equipment. He promised to keep me informed.
If you have any requests for tooling, post it on my web site.
Martin

Herb Helbig
10-17-2002, 11:39 PM
dellinger1140 - Thanks for the link to Tony's scraper page. Sounds like
good, straight forward advice to me!

------------------