PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Motor

topct
08-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Got a free treadmill. Here's the diagram that came with it. Sorry about the size.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/topct/tread3.jpg
I have a question about a board that is up in the console. It has four readouts, time, speed, distance and calories. Don't need those. It also has a membrane panel with four buttons. Start/pause, and speed up/down.

On the diagram it shows where the speed function wires attach to the motor controller. How can I fool this into making the motor run and does this effect the PWM of the motor controller?

I have run this thing and it is very smooth and would like to keep it that way. However the start/pause and the speed up/down is kinda of neat.

If I do retain the console board there is a reed switch. It was located next to the drive pulley. I assume that is what makes the speed readout work. Would that be neccesary to make the board function?

------------------
Gene

Maker
08-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Gene,

The speed sensor (reed relay)should be an accessory and not necessary for the controller to work.

The controller board is likely generic and thusly will work with a 5K pot hooked up to the speed control.

Typically the start/pause, speed up/down is a function of the electronics on the motor controller board itself.

Get a 5K pot (linear) and hook the center terminal to the white wire. I think the black goes on the left terminal (facing the pot) and the red goes on the right. This should allow the pot to increase speed as turned clockwise. If not, reverse the red and black (on the pot).

****DISCLAIMER***
I think yours is a generic controller and the instructions I gave are for that.
I cannot guarantee that following my instructions will preclude releasing the magic smoke residing in you controller!

That being said, it really should work as described

Good luck

Alex

CCWKen
08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
On the diagram it shows where the speed function wires attach to the motor controller. How can I fool this into making the motor run and does this effect the PWM of the motor controller?

The board looks like a standard PWM controller. The L,W,H on the board correspond to Low, Wiper and High of a potentiometer. L for low resistance, H for high resistance, W is the wiper. The console has a circuit to generate the resistance that controls motor speed. If you remove the console, you'll have to provide a potentiometer of the correct resistance.

I have run this thing and it is very smooth and would like to keep it that way. However the start/pause and the speed up/down is kinda of neat.

The start/pause is nothing more than an on/off switch that controls the ac input supply. (AC1 & AC2)

If I do retain the console board there is a reed switch. It was located next to the drive pulley. I assume that is what makes the speed readout work. Would that be necessary to make the board function?

Yep, the reed switch drives the speed display. The PB-09 power supply feeds the console electronics. If you use the console, you'll need that power supply intact.

If you don't use the console, you'll have to provide an ac on/off switch and a pot. to control speed.

topct
08-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Got it. That sure does make it easier to hook up. Yah, I don't think I need to know how many miles per hour my machine is going. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Thanks for the information, just wanted to make sure I had that PWM working.

------------------
Gene

winchman
08-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Most treadmills have a reed switch which must be closed with a magnetic "key". The key has a lanyard that clips to the user's clothing. It's a safety feature to shut the motor off if the user collapses on the moving belt. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

I think that's the part shown at the top left of your drawing as "Reed Switch, Pulsing 5 VDC".

Roger

topct
08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
winchman, close, but the safety switch that I think you might be refering to is a plastic plate affair that closes the normally open microswitch in the console. There is a landyard on it so you can attach it to your waste. When pulled out it shuts off line voltage.

------------------
Gene

topct
09-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Well I've had a chance to actually try using just a pot and it doesn't work. When connected it wants to go full speed.

It seems to need whatever signal is coming from the console board.

The motor board looks just like the one in the Surplus center catalog and it says just use a 5k pot but this one may may be differant.

Is there another PWM speed control that would work on this motor. It's rated at 2 1/2 horespower at 17.2 amps. Hopefully a cheap one.

------------------
Gene

Evan
09-01-2005, 03:07 PM
According to the schematic a pot should work just fine. Are you sure you had it wired correctly?

3 Phase Lightbulb
09-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Gene,

Try connecting "L" - BLACK to BLACK/GND on the Input Voltage Side.

Now Connect +VCC (Other wire on the Input Voltage Side through your center post on your 5000 ohm POT.

Connect the POT's outer posts to "W" - White, and "H" - Red.

I can draw you a schematic later if that doesn't make sense. Unfortunatly I don't have any drawing tools that I can use at this very moment.

-Adrian

Maker
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Have you measured the pot to verify that it's resistance varies with wiper rotation? (I've grabbed a junk box part to test with only to finally realize that the junk box part was junk http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

Alex

[This message has been edited by Maker (edited 09-01-2005).]

topct
09-01-2005, 05:18 PM
This is one of those "local idiot" strikes again deals.

IT WORKS! What has to happen, it appears, is that a connection has to be broken momentarily. When I turn it on, if I break the wiper conection briefly, after a second or so it starts right up.

I'm thinking a normally closed push button between the wiper and the white connector will work just fine.

This is my first PWM type controller, wow does this thing have some power at the bottom end. Running very slowly if I try to grab the pulley on it I cannot stop the crazy thing. I am sold. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Thanks again,

------------------
Gene

Evan
09-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I should have mentioned that. Sorry. I have the same thing to use on my mill I am building. That's a safety feature so that if power is interrupted it won't just start up again.

Instead of breaking the connection you will probably find that if you turn it all the way to the slowest setting for a couple seconds it will start.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-01-2005).]

topct
09-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Evan, yes that works, and it makes for a for sure gentle start. Good idea.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

------------------
Gene